Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Jenn Edwards' 2016 Ironman World Championship Race Report

Well Aloha!  Dang it feels good to type that title!  Below is the my race report from Kona verbatim as posted to my blog.  It's written to folks who "mostly" get tri but not too data centric. Any data questions fire away. This is actually "Part III" in a series.  Parts I and II are here should you have an interest.   And THANK YOU for being an integral part of this journey!  

1 - What it Took: The 30,000’ view of the training I did en route to qualify for and compete at the Ironman World Championships. http://jennifermaeedwards.blogspot.com/2016/10/2016-ironman-word-championships-race.html

2 - Kupa'a: The Hawaiian word meaning means Steadfast, Firm or Loyal. It’s my take on gratitude for those who travelled to Kona to experience it with us! A peek at the experience and mojo that "Team Edwards" and Jenn's "Fan" brought to Kona. http://jennifermaeedwards.blogspot.com/2016/10/2016-ironman-word-championships-race_14.html

3 – The Big Show: Anything is possible on race day, right? Well on this one there were two mechanicals, a mile-long sprint at the finish and an Ice Cream Time Trial. Sometimes you just can’t make this shiz up. Sprint being a relative term at the end of an Ironman, of course. http://jennifermaeedwards.blogspot.com/2016/10/2016-ironman-word-championships-race_26.html 

2016 Ironman Word Championships Race Report Part III of III: The Big Show

2016 Ironman Word Championships Race Report Part III of III: The Big Show

The Big Show

Sunrise in Kona is a magical thing.  Race day began with a big hug from my brother Kyle and a relatively traffic-free trip to transition with Mark.  I’d done a ninety-minute Bikram yoga session on Friday and surprisingly felt as pliable and loose as I’d felt all year.  I channeled my inner Zen, soaked up positivity and let negativity go like water off a duck’s back.   It was gonna be an AWESOME day!

The view of the sunrise from transition on race day.

I didn’t have as much time as I’d have liked to get every thing settled for the swim.  Getting marked took over forty-five minutes and resulted in more than a bit of hand wringing.   Maybe the new tattoo style is a wrinkle the organizers haven’t sorted out yet?  Regardless, the volunteers were AMAZEBALLS and with a quick kiss and hug to Mark I was cut loose for the day!

Thank you volunteers!

SWIM

Soon enough we were queued up for the swim and with (quite literally) a BOOM from the cannon we were off!   I’d lined up towards the left and immediately felt really good in the water. I knew that typically the current is against us on the way out and with us on the way in.  The bottom was moving by VERY quickly and I wondered if perhaps the reverse was true that day.  I was able to get my breathing under control early.   There were the typical swells and they needed to be timed correctly to sight.  Luckily there wasn’t any crazy chop.  All in all it looked to be a pretty drama-free swim!

Turtle at our swim start.  Wonder what he was thinking.

The women’s age group swim start.  We were the last to go after Pro Men, Pro Women and Age Group Men. I lined up pretty far left, past the Roka buoy.

I hit the second turn buoy and allowed myself the one quick check of the time.  It read 32:30.  Wooo hoo!!  If the current was with us on the way back I’d have a great swim time.  If not, I still felt really good so no worries. 

Post-race analysis shows a pretty good line.   No wandering off to follow the turtles today, sadly.

T1

Up the stairs we went and into the fresh water showers lickity split.  (Get it, “SPLIT”?!?)  Anyway one of the benefits of having a relatively good swim in a typical Ironman is having your own own volunteer.  No such luck at this race with ALL the pointy-end swimmers!  Socks on, shoes on, Quarq race belt with Qollector on, Kiwami Kona Wings top (sorta) on and I was outta there. 

I had just about finished the ten-mile run around the pier (only ½ joking) to my bike when I realized I’d forgotten to take my swim skin off. D’oh!  My lack of non-wetsuit swim Ironmans was showing.  I'm betting a volunteer would have caught that.    Rather than run the nine miles BACK to transition, I grabbed a lucky volunteer and asked her to take my swim skin to lost and found.  I didn’t realize ‘till later I’d managed get out of the Quarq belt too!  So instead of my family being able to track my exact location all day it looks like I sat on the pier all day ‘till we returned with it to the condo that night.  D’oh. D’oh. D’oh!!!

Up the stairs and out.  I’ve watched SO much footage of this exact location. It was really neat to run through it myself on race day!

BIKE

Onto the bike we went!  I’d done a full race rehearsal ride on the island and knew what power target was realistic.    The first focus was on letting my heart rate come down as a lot of over zealous athletes zoomed past me.  I really liked how the separate women’s start allowed our race to be fairly isolated from the men’s but there were still a lot of draft packs.  I quickly got my strategy in order: If they passed me on an ascent I’d pull back to a little under my target power until I was out of the draft zone.  Then on flats and descents, where I typically gain the most ground on the field I’d put down a touch more power than ideal.  This worked really well and after a couple of yo-yos with each pack they’d be behind me for good and I was able to remain at a legal distance (plus a healthy margin of error!) throughout the race. 

All sorted and headed out on the Queen K for a fabulous ride with a few of our best friends!

The big blustery crosswinds Kona is know for were certainly present, but not in epic proportions and my nutrition was going exceedingly well. On the return from Hawi I was thoroughly enjoying the Ninja Pac Man strategy of gobbling up everyone in front of me on the descent.  Zip, zip, zip I left them all behind with the new 53/39 “Big Girl” chain rings.  Too good to be true?  Yep.  Crunch, my chain dropped to the inside of the chain ring.  Well crapola.  This happened twice in Whistler as well. WOE! 

Headed up to Hawi with the chain right where it’s supposed to be.   Ahhhh… memories.

Okay, time to start making good decisions.  I didn’t want to hammer on the brakes at forty miles per hour so I decided to wait until I slowed to a reasonable speed.  While coasting I spun the pedals backwards which proved to be a not-so-good decision as the cranks stopped spinning all together.  So to sum it up, I was locked into a bike with out the ability to pedal going faster than the speed limit down hill in some very blustery crosswinds.  Ug. 

I finally slowed enough to stop, unclip and assess the damage.  Yep, the chain was off of the front chain ring but it was also off the back in some kind of unrecognizable tangled mess.  Deep breaths. I attacked the front first.  It wasn’t quite squeezing up past the derailleur.  The scientific method went thusly: Tug, tug, spin, twist, more deep breaths, a few skinned knuckles and it finally snuck back onto the ring.   Okay now the rear.  This was quite literally a “What the fuck?” moment.  (Sorry mom.)   It was twisted and outside of the rear derailleur cage.  How does that even happen???  I straightened the chain and it seemed to snap back into place so I decided not to question the logic of it all and get back to racing. 

Impressive, yes?

I got rolling again and wondered why the helicopters would be out at Hawi.  The pro field was well back on the Queen K by now, I was sure.  Hmmm…. Maybe they want some shots of the age group race?  At another point when I had to coast the helicopter noise stopped.  Erg.  Either that helicopter crashed or it was my drivetrain making that noise. I “sorta” thought I could feel something but with the rough roads and crosswinds I couldn’t be sure.  My power is measured at the pedals so any loss due to friction in the drivetrain wouldn’t impact my power target, I’d just be going slower at that output.  Blerg.  As someone who REALLY enjoys optimizing the bike in regards to aerodynamics and friction, the irony of having a jacked up drive train was not lost on me. 

Headed down Hawi after the mechanical.  If you look closely you can see the chain is riding outside the rear derailleur cage.  Also, no longer smiling.

Back to business on the Queen K.  I was humming (a little TOO loudly) merrily along doing the Pac Man thing with the folks that went out too hard, and the chain dropped to the inside AGAIN!    I had a mini-internal meltdown for two seconds then set up shop on the yellow line dead center of the Queen K.   I was able to get the chain back on the front chain ring fairly easily but this was the moment I realized the chain was riding on the OUTSIDE cage of the rear derailleur.

A post-mortem of the bike drivetrain has yielded a clue.  The derailleur cage is bent a little and pulled away from a pin.  Our best guess is that under pressure the chain slipped out through the gap in the cage and then it snapped back (nearly) into place.  This could have happened when I spun the pedals backwards on the descent.  As to what caused the bend to begin with, it could have been during the mechanical or maybe even in those racks that grab the bikes precariously close to the derailleur in transition.  The silver lining is a new derailleur with EXTRA fancy big low-friction pulleys is in my future. 

Yeah that little gap at the upper pin isn’t supposed to be there.  And those two grooves in the lower pin? They were caused from my chain rolling over it.  So much for low friction!

Oh well, the bigger picture is I made it back!  My Garmin is set to “auto-pause” when I stop so the difference between “Time” and “Elapsed Time” is roughly how long I was on the side (or middle!) of the road.  Looks like it was about 3.5 minutes.  It felt like an ETERNITY!

The vertical line is the moment of the first chain drop. Notice the heart rate spike when I got back at it.  I was a wee bit stressed…

T2

I handed off the bike to a lovely volunteer and had an uneventful transition.  A switch of shoes and socks (because… yuck….) grabbed my EN cap and Race Saver bag and skedaddled on outta there.

RUN

When asked about my race goals I think folks are surprised when I don’t pop off with a specific time.  To me, making sure my family and friends had a good experience was of primary importance. That meant basic things like surviving, finishing and smiling. That being said, I did not execute my Ironman Texas run very well and I REALLY wanted to make good decisions all day and finish strong on the run in Kona.  I had what I felt was a pretty solid run plan in place based primarily on heart rate.  I’d done a ton of hot yoga before we left.  That, coupled with almost two weeks of training on the island and I figured I was as acclimated as I could realistically be. 

So, off to run a little marathon I went!  The course is essentially two out and backs.  First you go South out and back on Ali’i Drive (past The Fans!!!) and then you go North out and back onto the Queen K to the Energy Lab before you turn around for the return trip.   Out there you pass almost exactly ZERO fans.  It’s hot, desolate and demoralizing to many. 

Early on the run. This is gonna be a piece of cake, right?

The Ali’i outbound leg was CRAZY TOWN!   I saw everyone!

- Coach P: “How’s your heart rate, I can’t see it?” 

- Me: “Um, a little high, you’re right, I’ll slow down…” 

- Mariah: “Smile, you’re on camera!!!”

- Me: “Cheese!”

- Mark: Waving

- Me: “Hi Honey!” (waving madly)

- Michelle! “You’re going really fast, is your heart rate in line?”

- Me: “Yes, yes I think so but I’ll chill….”

- Heidi! “You’re killing it, you look great!”

- Me:  “I just peed myself but thanks for saying that!” 

And then…. .The FANS!!!! 

Dawwww!   Hugs and kisses to EACH ONE!

Well if Ali’i was crazy town the Queen K was a ghost town.  It was time to focus and do my thing. I’d been keeping my heart rate pretty close to the target all day.  It was a tad high, but well below how I’d started Ironman Texas.  I turned into the Energy Lab and pressed on the gas a little. The heart rate ticked up but it’s a slight descent out with a bit of a breeze so honestly it felt really good. For how good it felt going into the Energy Lab it felt horrible coming back. That breeze was going exactly our speed hence ZERO air movement.   I was sure glad that was over when I took a right back on the Queen K and headed to town! 

They say this is the toughest part of the race and I’d have to agree. It’s about FIVE AND A HALF MILES out of the Energy Lab to the turn on Palani.  It’s exceptionally hot, the sun radiates off the asphalt and it’s very desolate.  To top it off they were out of water at about mile 21. Arg.  Smile and move on!  I loaded my top doubly with ice and shoved about two cups of it into the Race Saver bag to tide me though to the next one.   This is where I went into what I call “machine” mode.  I just checked my “gauges” at every 1/4 mile beep of my watch and adjusted heart rate, pace or nutrition accordingly.  I shut out everything that hurt and focused on picking off one person at a time.  With about a half mile to go to the turn on Palani, like a mirage Mark appeared on the rented cruiser bike and a few minutes later Michelle popped up too!!! 

These two managed to pop up in a REALLY tough spot!

Mark: Waving (sensing a theme?)

Me: “Hi Honey!!!”” (waving madly)

Michelle: “Dude, you are killing it!”

Me: “Once we make that turn is it all downhill?

Michelle “Yes, yes it is!!!”

Me: “If you’re lying to me…..”

Michelle: “You’re almost there, it is literally ALL downhill from that turn!

Me to self: “Righty ho, it’s on.”

I made the turn on Palani and picked it up a bit.  A gal came past me in a way that let me know she had noted my number and we were likely in the same age group.  Hmmmm…. I had no idea if I was in 100th or 10th place in my age group.  Did it matter?    Well at that moment, it kinda did. I stepped on the gas a bit more and was able to stick with her.  We made the turn down Hualalai and what to my wondering feet should appear?  Another gear in Jenn’s run speed!  Bam, I dropped her and she couldn’t rally. I took the right onto Ali’I and suddenly everything was very bright and very loud. There were  RTB peeps for high-fives and I could see the finish arch. I knew my family was in the crowd somewhere, if only they were easy to spot.  Yep, there they were you can't miss The Fans!!!  High-fives to the family as as I ran the final few yards to the finish and BAM, I was across the finish line of the Ironman World Championships!!!! 

Mom awaiting the finish.  1,000% Priceless.

Well that was awesome!

So, how did that marathon stack up, really?  It’s hard to say as the field is so different in Kona.  I did take a peek at the other qualifiers from Texas and it looks like they all ran about fifteen minutes slower than they did in IMTX.  Perhaps their fitness had faded or their execution on the day was lacking.   Regardless, I did feel my run fitness had improved and I know executed the Kona marathon well for my ability.  And geeze, mile 26 was run in 8:11 according to my Garmin.  I’m just gonna put that in the win column and leave it riiiiight there. 

Texas Qualifiers at the North American Championships in Texas

Texas Qualifiers at the Ironman World Championship in Kona

So grateful.  Not sure if you can tell, but I’m PRETTY darn happy here!

After the race I felt really good! No need for medical, happy to schlep around and round up my bike and such.  We made our way back to the condo where the fourth discipline of the day awaited: The Ice Cream Time Trial.  This is an Endurance Nation tradition with a scoring system for downing a pint of ice cream typically on the weekend of the IMWC.  All the more reason to participate since I was actually HERE, right?  Performed pre-shower (ewe!)  while chillin’ with Mark, Kari and Kyle.

Ice Cream Time Trial: A half an hour of decadence condensed to less than five minutes! 

RECOVERY

Recovery from an Ironman is a funny thing.  I typically do pretty well but this one went better than the previous nine.  I did have the typical (for me) edema and also struggled with a new one: insomnia. But, miracle of all miracles - I had ZERO chafe from my kit.  Yay Kiwami!  But the one article of clothing I didn’t get to practice with, the timing chip strap, did leave some pretty gnarly strips of missing skin! 

Missing skin and edema courtesy of WTC. Candle courtesy of Heidi!

Sunday

- Sleep: I awoke with maybe two hours of sleep total.  Ug.  I chalked it up to Advil PM losing the battle with five Clif Shot Mocha gels on the run. 

- Weight:  Down three pounds from race day weight which was up 3 pounds from carbo loading.  I’d call that a wash and validation of good fueling!

- Activity:  Um…. errands and packing and yes that timing chip chafe does hurt!  No problem going down stairs, though.  VICTORY!

Monday

- Sleep:  Got maybe four hours, better than Saturday night but this girl wants NINE!

- Weight:  Here comes the edema.  Up three pounds from the prior day

- Activity:  Splashed around in the Kona Aquatic center for a bit, enjoyed a chat with the Pitt Crew and promptly plunked down on a plane.  This would be a great time for some sleep, right?  Not when you’re sitting next to Coach P and Mariah! 

I mean really, would you sleep on the plane with these two crazies to chat with?

Tuesday

- Sleep: Woke with another whopping two hours in the books.  Gah. 

- Weight:  Oh fun, six more pounds of edema.  Blerg.

- Activity: Laundry, laundry, laundry….  Oh and feeling a little cold coming on.

Wednesday

- Sleep:  Yay six hours!  I’ll take it!

- Weight: Down a pound. Maybe it’s done getting worse. 

- Activity: Vinyasa yoga. I felt like my skin was gonna split.  SO SWOLLEN!  And now have a full on cold.  Yuck.

Thursday

- Sleep:  All hail the eight hour night! 

- Weight:   Bye by edema, down five pounds.

- Activity:  Hatha yoga.  Oh so good.  Bendy and sweaty and it felt great!  I turned a corner on the cold. 

Friday   

- Sleep:  Alright, we’ve got this sleep thing down now! Eight hours from Thursday night despite a big rain storm outside.   

- Weight:  Phew.  Down another two pounds.  Yep that’s a nine-pound swing in four days.  Fun!

- Activity: Race report posted. CATHARTIC!  And a swim date with the HH on the calendar!   And that cold is almost gone.

I deem myself CURED!

REFLECTION

I’ve given myself two months to fully reflect on this experience and to decide “what’s next” as is often asked.  In looking at the race, I couldn’t be prouder.  I made (mostly) good decisions beginning with riding a steady bike at the appropriate power with a Variability Index of a solid 1.03.  I was rewarded with an awesome marathon and a PR to boot! I smiled for my family and they had an amazing time.  I tend to be motivated by execution goals and don’t typically have time goals but hey I’ll take a PR, and a sub 4-hour marathon does have a nice ring to it. 

We will never be able to replicate an experience where I had those closest to me enjoy the sport I love on the world’s biggest triathlon stage. Moving forward I know it doesn’t have to be epic to be awesome, I can simply do it because it’s fun and I’m grateful I have the opportunity to do so. But make no mistake, I’m still driven to be the best I can be and hopefully that’s faster and stronger.  At least in the old lady age group. 

Someday I will not be able to do this.  Today is not that day!

With cheers, cowbell, gratitude and MUCH Aloha.  

THANK YOU!!!

Comments

• Options
    Hey Jenn, congratulations! I've been watching since IM Texas and even IMC before that and saw you work your way to this huge goal. It was so great that you had your mom there and family and friends. This is one of those moments in life you'll never forget - the accomplishment and trip of a lifetime!
    P.S. I was wondering what happened to your Quark tracking device...now I know!
  • Options
    Great report and fantastic day, Jenn. So well deserved.
  • Options
    great report on a fantastic performance. Way to deal with the mechanic issues
  • Options
    Jenn you have long been the hardest working person in EN. So much so that when I watch you on STRAVA I often come away saying to myself, she is doing too much, she is not tapering enough. But I'm wrong , and its obviously working for you . Those KONA results are proof and extremely impressive. Look forward to meeting you in person one of these days but I'm not telling you what I'm racing yet in an attempt to keep the weather gods at bay....So happy for you and a big congratulations..... BTW looking ripped in those pic's :-)
  • Options
    Jenn,

Awesome report on an amazing day. You've probably had parts of that RR in your head for years. So glad you finally got to write it. Can't wait to see your next chapter.

Mike
  • Options
    Congratulations on a great race. I have also been following your path to Kona for a while from out here on the east coast. Your work ethic is admirable and I am so happy that you could enjoy your day.
    Last year, A car would not let me avoid a pot hole and after I hit it my chain popped to the outside of the derailleur just like yours. Didn't realize it and road home last 2 miles
  • Options
    Watching you through Strava the last few years showed me working hard day in and day out can yield. You're awesome. You were so close a few times...I can't imagine what it's like to finally get there and race like this! Congrats...happy for you!
  • Options

Jenn, Great race report!  You had an incredible race with all the chain issues you dealt with!  It was so nice to finally meet the other "Jenn E."!  And by the way...you're not even close to the "old lady group" yet!!  But when you get there...those old broads are in trouble!  

• Options
    Congrats Jenn! This was a long long time in the making and it sure sounds like you got everything out of it you deserved. Bummer about the mechanicals on the bike, but I do like the bright side that you will have a faster rig with the upgraded big fancy pulleys... The comparison to the other TX finishers was interesting. I think what they all did was pretty normal and what you did was pretty spectacular. Dropping a 3-handle marathon on that course is NO JOKE! You really put together a great race!

My final comment is that the last picture with your bike on the lava field is AWESOME! You look totally jacked! Addagirl!
  • Options

Jenn- Wow. All I can say. That's about as good as it gets, first time or 10th on the island. Package that and pull it out over the next 40-50 years whenever you need a little pick-me-up. What a reward for all you've been doing, all the effort and thought and time and $$$ that went into it and all the friends and success that came with you and out the other side. 

• Options
    To echo what others have said, your hard work is an inspiration and applies well beyond triathlon. You had a goal and you put in the time and sweat to make it happen. Proud of you chica!
  • Options
    Jenn, fantastic resort and many congrats on an excellent race! You put the time and tons of effort into this and it's paid off. The achievement is amazing. I look forward to seeing what's next for you.
  • Options
    Congratulations Jenn. Great job at overcoming the mechanicals out there on an already tough day. The Queen K is pretty desolate on the run but you looked great to me as you were running back into town. The last mile shows that as well. It was fun getting to meet you and race with you. Like Al says, you'll have this forever. I have no doubt that you'll be back there if you want to. 
  • Options
    Jenn - thanks for the great write-up on this, the three-part blog made for excellent reading. Congrats on the journey and completing Kona!

I really liked the photo (and accompanying description) at the swim exit ... as if you were walking up hallowed stairs. That must have been so cool. And the picture of you holding the bike on the lava fields ... I trust you've already framed that one.
  • Options
    Really like reading your RR and like other said already, you are know of the hardest worker in that team and that paid you well on rest day !

Your pic are awesome and hope you really enjoyed your day to the level of your hopes!

• Options
    Congrats Jenn, I always enjoy your RRs. What a great time and fantastic run. Advice - get a K edge chain guard to eliminate drops to the inside. Also - I have the same double groove on the outside of the DR guard on my older Tri bike. Both times that happened when it was on the trainer and I didn't realize it was riding over the pin. Both times I realized that I could just pull the guard out and push the chain back in. It hasn't happened again in forever and I'm still using that DR. However, I did replace the original Shimano DA pulleys with Hawk Racing low friction pulleys. They are the same size, not the oversize ones that were popular with the pros this year. The big ones have been panned on ST for being less aero. I don't know the truth of that, but worth investigation you gain a watt for a better pulley and then give it right bag on the drag. Wow and ow, that cut from the timing chip strap looks painful. I look forward to reading about your next race.
  • Options
    I want to be you when I grow up. So steadfast and focused - a true inspiration. Honored to know you and call you teammate
  • Options

Just completely inspiring and motivating!

Such a strong person inside and out!

Best race reports I read are from you Jenn.  Great pics, synopsis!

Pulling in a 3:57 marathon at KONA after that bike and run is an amazing feat and a consequence of smart hard work at its best!

Sincere congratulations!

SS

• Options
    Good job, Jen!!!! it was a pleasure to meet you! what an adventure you had! Wow! so glad the bike finished for you and did not finish you! Excellent race report!
  • Options
    Jenn, it was great meeting you and Mark and spending a bit of time together. I am pretty much speechless in your performance at the World Championship! Honestly, I don't know anyone who has worked harder than you, and it certainly showed on Oct. 8th! If I ever had mechanical issues like you did, I would have been sitting on the side of the road crying! LOL! It's just amazing how you managed to get through all of that and finish with a great bike split. Your run was just unbelievable and I'm so happy for you and your great performance. I look forward to seeing where you go from here!
  • Options

very nice work Jenivere.

was nice to share the course with you and get to interact a bit before and during the race.        thanks for the ass slap at mile 21-22:  helped keep me conscious.

any of that Ono left ?

yes I was surprised by how long the race morning checkin stuff took.    too long.

glad you got the swim skin off.

the bike mechanical sucked.      but sounds like you handled it well.

yes they can not run out of water.    not cool.

glad we made it.     our IM careers have paralleled.   we made the show and survived.      though your showing at this show gets a few gold stars and mine ended up being survival. 

so any hard plans for next year forming ?

• Options

Jenn - Just a remarkable performance both on the course and with respect to how you carried yourself all week.  Truly impressive all the way around.  It was great to finally meet you and Mark, and I really enjoyed the time we were able to spend together.  Huge congratulations and I'll be very interested to see what's next for you after the dust settles.  All the best!!!

• Options

Well Aloha!

Oh my.  Just looked up from two weeks of doing laundry (not even 1/2 a joke), reflecting and today I had the opportunity to settle in and read through some of our other Kona race reports. The overriding emotion at this moment is: DANG, our team is AMAZEBALLS. #swoon

Today my thoughts are primarily that the insights and advice of our wise and experienced members are invaluable.  For me at this juncture, this is particularly true from those on our team that have aged up more than a few times and even been to Kona before.  Their perspective is incredible and has helped tremendously in my own reflection.

Doing a "mic drop" after IM #10 in Kona with a nice fat PR and a big family win seems tempting.  Well shoot, if only I didn't LOVE the sport so much!  To be clear though, I don't feel like I'm turning a page, or even on to the next chapter, honestly it feels like an entire different book, though it's still a triathlon book!

I'm holding firm to that two-month window before I make the big decisions, but some thoughts for now: 

- Recovery was SERIOUSLY easy.  I may have left a little on the table.  Honestly, I'm at peace with that given the goals of the day.  Barely sore and nary a niggle in sight. I did take some downtime and did not run or bike for ten days post race.  

- Why am I training right now?  (Asked almost EVERY DAY by my mom and a few others who may note exactly get it...) Well, I enjoy swimming, biking and running.  Why would I NOT do that right now just because there isn't a big race on the calendar?

- Why the November OS? I ENJOY the process of getting stronger.  And that old FTP has taken a serious hit with so much racing and hacking of previous OS's due to ... so much racing.

- I LOVE the Ironman distance.  Chess between the mind and the body.  LOVE IT.

- I WILL NOT CHASE Kona slots. Travel to Texas again where a KQ is much more likely? Nope. Nothing in Houston is appealing to me other than that carrot. 

- How about a postcard-view-at-every-turn Whistler that is right in our back yard?  Maybe....  and it would be fun to keep raising the bar on what it means to me to nail that race.

- Do a second IM right after an "A" race where I was super close to KQ.  NOPE.

^^^ Welcome any thoughts on these thoughts (say that 10x fast...) as the reflection continues, comes in waves and seems to have many layers!

Short term goals: 

1 - Maintain the weight loss I had between Texas and Kona.  That "last 10 lbs" made a world of difference in both confidence and performance.  I'm at what I'd consider anideal #lifeweight.  I would consider myself even a few more lbs to go for ideal #raceweight but I'll cross the bridge if/when the time comes.

2 - Enjoy the OS.  Enjoy the process. Enjoy our teammates!  Have a ridiculous FTP when all is said and done.

3 - Reflect and make a great decision in six more weeks!

Thanks again for all the kind comments.  A few items to address in particular:

@ Tim C: I feel like maybe I paid the dues to the Weather Gods and race day in Kona was our reward?!  Not too horribly hot or epic winds except for that whole "headwind both ways thing..."

@ Robert: We are now derailleur war buddies. Yay us?

@ JW:  You know you were a part of what it took to make that awesome photo happen. I SO wanted to be proud of how I looked because I knew these photos would last forever.  Probably more than my wedding photos... (shhhh!)  I didn't take ALL your advice, but you called it and like you saw it that alone was a serious piece of the puzzle. THANK YOU again.  

@ Al: No words.  You're in my head a lot more than you may realize.  THANK YOU for all your advice over the many years.  Anyone even heard of Penticton these days???

@ The Chicas: THANK YOU for the mojo thorughout the seasons!

@ Paul C thanks for reading the details!  I'm not one to put up photos of myself anywhere other than my blog but I may make an exception for this one. I'll use the excuse I'm giving it to my mom....  

@ Paul H: Thanks... though BLERG I've been there already.  Had that thing on at the last Whistler race and it turned into a chain impaler when it dropped past the K-edge (yes, installed correctly) and then I couldn't pull the chain back through.  We've replaced the cranks, fussed with the tensions and yes, very trusted mechanic (hubby) and very trusted local shop mechanic are all scratching their heads.  As several other P5 owners I know have this problem (inside drop) as well, I'm resigned that it may be "prone" to it.  That being said, we are going to tighten up the chain tension and add a tighter spring to the derailleur as it does get a bit bouncy, especially under light loads and high speeds which is when t seems to happen most.  Sigh.  Ferraris. What a  PITA but SO pretty!  

@ SS: I can run 21 miles as 7 x 3 mile loops in the cold, rainy, dark and be guaranteed to get a bit of Strava love from you at o'dark thirty.  THANK YOU!

@ Robin: Nope, still only as far as Lavaman.   Which would be even more awesome with another certain PNW sleeper cell member.... #armtwist...

@ Mark: Thanks! Likewise, it was a pleasure. I shared your moving story with my parents and they really enjoyed the similarities.  Go West, young man!   

Cheers and cowbell and ALOHA and MUCH gratitude to the BEST team on the planet!

xoox - J