Home General Training Discussions
Options

Dino's Race Across America 2017 Thread

Tomorrow is the day!  RAAM 2017.  Jonathan Rothberg and I are doing RAAM as part of an 8 man team.  We are racing from Oceanside, California to Annapolis Maryland.  The plan is 6 days and nights of non-stop riding.  The goal is to always have the crank turning on 1 bike without stoping until the Atlantic.

Current thinking is that we will break our 8-man team into 4 2-man units.  The two men will take turns - 30 minutes on the bike and then 30 minutes in the chase car, which the rules require must have a driver and a spotter.  The rider on-deck will serve as the spotter.

The 2-man team will trade every 30 minutes for 2-3 hours.  Then the next 3 2-man teams will do the same thing.  That should give the first 2-man team 6-9 hours of solid rest before the rotation starts again.

The goal is keep fresh legs on the road and keep the tempo up.  On climbs we will likely switch more often, if descending, we will just let the guy go until it makes sense to swap.

That's plan at least.  But, as Mike Tyson one said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".

For my friends who have done ToC with me, I ask you what would Ron Jermey say about this?

Our team is called the Nature Boyz, you follow our adventure on FaceBook on the Nature Boyz page and you can track the race here:  http://trackleaders.com/raam17i.php?name=Nature_Boyz

I will try and use this thread to post up dates....

Comments