AG 55-59

13th Ironman

mFTP=270

5 hour power = 208

vDot 46

height 5’10”

weight 155 lbs

Background:

This will be my 13th Ironman (4th with EN) and is the race this year to keep me eligible for my legacy spot which WTC has indicated in an email I will have in 2018.  Originally I had signed up for IM Arizona (which I still am) but in order to stay eligible I must “complete” an Ironman in 2017.  However, my thinking was that I didn’t want to leave my ability to complete an Ironman until the end of the race year just in case I have some unforeseen mechanical or other disaster during the race.  Thus, I signed up for Santa Rosa to give me a cushion in case of disaster.  I am 59, oldest in my age group and will age up next year.  I debated whether to go for the legacy spot or continue to try and KQ.  I’ve finished top 10 in 3 out of my last 4 IM’s.  Looking at my times in my last couple races, I would have finished in the top two of the 60-64 AG.  However, that would have put a tremendous tax on my family and taken away major SAU’s to train hard for a KQ attempt with no guarantee.  So with that, I am happy with the possibility of a legacy spot and will definitely have finishing as my top priority.  That being said, the desire to race will be there and has shown itself in my training.  I would have to say that I have not trained quite as hard as my last race but it has been close,  Some of that has been being more mindful of family obligations and events.  Some workouts were started at 3:30 AM and then cut short so that I could do things with the family.  The other difference has been to take a running day off here and there when I was feeling the need.  CTL has peaked at 182, 20 less than my all in effort at IMTX 2016.  I will race this one, but will not take any stupid chances that might risk a crash or set me up for being pulled off the course for medical reasons.  It has the potential to be hot on race day so I will have to be smart with my nutrition and pacing.

Race week:

Unfortunately my work schedule won’t allow me to travel until after work on Wednesday.  Plan is to drive as far as we can Wednesday and hopefully get half way or further (9 hour drive total).

Thursday: Short run in early AM.  Complete drive to Santa Rosa.  Register, attend mandatory athlete meeting and check in to AirBNB.  Begin going through check lists.  Begin organizing transition bags. Short bike ride if time allows.  Team dinner that evening. Charge Di2, stryd.

Friday:  Pack race bags, work through checklists, drive to Lake Sonoma, drop off bike, possible practice swim to get a feel for sighting landmarks, practice run up boat ramp, memorize run through T1.  Drive bike course back to Santa Rosa.  Feet up the rest of the day. Charge all devices (920, Bolt) Dinner at 5:00.  Get ready for bed by 8.  No fiber meals.

Race Morning:  Awake by 2:45-3:00.  Breakfast of apple sauce, cereal, gatorade (~800 cal). Work through checklist.  Sunscreen, timing chip, LG race kit, HR strap.  Morning clothes bag packed night before from checklist.  Head to T2 for SN bag drop and shuttle pickup by 3:45.  Catch one of first shuttles at 4:00.  Arrival at T1, body mark, pump tires, attach Bolt/pair.  Nutrition to bike, gatorade in BTA, gatorade in rear cage, 6 powerbar gels in bento .  Shoes on bike.  Wetsuit on and find somewhere to chill out until race time.  If allowed, 10 minute warm-up swim.  Powerbar gel with water 10 minutes before swim. 

Swim:

tinted goggles because sun will be in my eyes for parts of the swim, strap under cap

line up in start area around the 1:10 group

if i was able to warm up, start at an effort above race pace for first 200-300 yards

if no warm up, use the first 200-300 yards as warm up and build into race pace

find fast feet to draft and stay on them

focus on key form issues for me.  one eye out of water on breath, high elbow catch, finish stroke (thumbs brush thighs not hips)

keep focus on second lap and stay on feet

at the last turn buoy, begin to mentally go through transition

swim goals: sub 1:15 (conservative). sub 1:12 (based on last open water swim), sub 1:10 if able to stay on fast feet the majority of the way.

T1:

this is a 1/4 mile run up the boat ramp.  Run with purpose without letting HR/PE blow up

wetsuit down to waist before wetsuit strippers (recon where they will be)

leave cap/goggles on until in tent

pick up T1 bag (marked with bright green ribbon) yelling number as I approach

helmet on before tent

find volunteer on entering tent, no need to sit in chair

trislide spray to undercarriage

ask volunteer to repack bag and the gift card in for him

sunglasses on as run to bike

gel as run to bike

at mount line, slip on shoes (will be attached to bike), mount and go

start wahoo bolt

T1 goals:  fastest in AG.  IMSR 70.3 T1 times for AG were 6’, pros 3-4’.  IMSR video showed out of shape guy running from water to T1 in 2:00. I think I can do that and then spend no more then 3’ in tent and getting to mount line so sub 5:00 is reasonable.

Bike:

trek speed concept, 11-28 cassette, flo 60/90 with latex tubes, Conti GP4000sII 25mm, xlab torpedo BTA, xlab rear cage holder with gorilla cages, rudy project wing57 helmet

break bike into sections.  First section is the short climb, long descent, long climb, then long descent.  It will be cool at this time of day so the descents could be challenging to stay warm.

first short climb FTP cap of 230.  This may help get my body warm for the descent

be very careful on the descents which my be partly into a low sun.

longer climb FTP cap of 210.  Remember over cooking this early will bring the “line” closer, and many non ENers will blow up their race on this section.

once out of the climbing/descending section, settle in at 195W.  Based on my last outdoor ride in the heat of the afternoon, I may lower my power goals as it heats up.  

watch for pot holes constantly

Wahoo Bolt set to lap every 2 miles which will be my reminder to drink 3-4 sips from BTA

once to the loop section, assess how i feel and possibly increase power to 200W

gel at first 2 aid stations, then one every other after that

goal is 1 gel per hour average

36-40 oz per hour of gatorade

gatorade and gels net 370 cal/hr, 1100 mg Na+/hr

no big risks on descents

be careful in crowded areas (first 30-40 miles and second loop when slower riders join in

aid stations: take gel prior, refill BTA with bottle from rear cage prior, discard gel packet and empty bottle at beginning, point t volunteer I intend to grab a gatorade from, rack bottle in rear cage, repeat process to grab water, drink water to chase the gel, pour water over head/body, discard water in last trash of aid station

remove feet from shoes on last long straight away (recon)

Goal:  Don’t crash, sub 6:00 (conservative), 5:45 (hopeful), NP 195-198

T2:

run to bag and into tent, unbuckling helmet on the way

find volunteer on entering tent

dump bag

don’t let volunteer touch go bag

socks and shoes on

ask volunteer to spray sunscreen while I put shoes on.  Gift card for them and ask to repack bag.

run out removing go bag contents on the way

T2 goal: fastest in AG

RUN:

race belt, arm coolers, Garmin 920, hat on as I run out of T2

3 loops, each loop broken into the out and back, each ~4.3 miles

first 6 miles by last hour of bike HR

Stryd power ~220 in first 6 miles

miles 6-18, let HR climb to 130 with 135 cap, Stryd power 230

miles 18-22 (the last out section) assess how I feel,  Don’t bring the line closer.  If feeling ok, bump HR if possible

miles 22-26, push, push, push.  Keep HR up, keep power up

the Stryd power meter has been used mostly to observe at different efforts so I have a range of data.  I plan on using power and HR to guide my run

6 oz gatorade at each aid station, walking only to drink.  Every 4th mile, gel with water instead.  Alternate with cola after mile 10-13.  When starting cola, add in base salt.

do not walk (except at aid stations).  The only reason to walk would be due to medical issue and then it becomes just getting to the finish before the cut off

Enjoy the finish line

run goals:  finish, sub 4:30 (conservative doable), 4:10 (hopeful), 4:00 (feeling great)

Overall goals:

focus entire race

be attentive

solve problems as they come up

enjoy IM #13

I’m putting time goals for each segment, but I know they will change given circumstances that may come up.  Biggest factor to keep in mind is that rough patches will come, but if i just get through them, they will pass and in the end I may surprise myself with my overall time.

Thanks for reading.  Comments welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Cool plan. 
    Question: Why do you find a volunteer when you enter the tent? No sure how to use them personally. What kind of gift card?
  • Options
    @Jacklyn Moore I find a volunteer as soon as I enter because I want help repacking my bag.  I don't want to waste time doing that task myself so I ask them to do it.  I want a volunteer dedicated solely to me.  They can hand me things or spray sunscreen on me while I do another task.  I usually do a $5 starbucks card.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2017 3:13PM

@Tom - Great, well thought out plan. Easy to see that you've done this before!

The only thing that stands out to me is actually what Jacklyn brought up: Volunteers in transitions. The reason being is that I watched a live FB broadcast last week of the race director. He specifically mentioned a couple of times that they will be instructing volunteers NOT to provide help of this sort in T1 and T2. I found it odd, but his reasoning was that they did not want to provide anyone with an unfair advantage. After hearing this, I plan to grab my own t1/t2 bags, unpack/pack them (including wetsuit!), and drop them off at the designated place on way out of tent. I was surprised to find that this was the case last year at IMMT too, except I didn't know until I was actually in T1.

I also have not been able to find out if or where wetsuit strippers will be located. I know you left that as a question mark.

Finally, based on your FTP, weight, 5 hour power, and this course, I'm willing to bet you have a faster bike than you indicated!!

Look forward to meeting you later in the week!

• Options
    @Brad Marcus -thanks for the heads up on the volunteers not being able to help us.  Makes you wonder what they will be there for?  If they don't want them to help anyone, then they only need a couple in the tent directing people.  It will be interesting to see if they have a full complement of volunteers in the tents like what I've been used to.  Looking forward to meeting you as well.

• Options
    I guess we will find out at athlete briefing. 
    Thanks for the information gentlemen. Just one more shift at work and then it's time to PLAY!!!!
    My family is so excited. We are watching the finish at placid and there are so excited!
  • Options
    @Tom Box I am excited to see you race again!  Stick to your plan, and you will have a great race.
  • Options
    Your plan looks great Tom, I hope you have a great race.  I'm curious to read about your post-race thoughts on monitoring power throughout the run
  • Options
    not much to add to a veteran plan like you.. but CTL OF 182 !"/%/%/

Its almost in the @Shaughn Simmons 's league !

good luck !
  • Options
    Enjoyed reading your plan. I have also had fun riding with you on Zwift and following your training.  You are definitely a great example to follow! To hear that you haven't trained quite as hard as other races is unbelievable.  From my vantage point you are a beast! It is great getting to learn from people like you in EN. Have a great race.  You are going to kill it!
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2017 10:19PM
    Tom, looks like a veteran plan.  Huge build this cycle as I watched you build that 182.  Don't get unglued as you taper and watch that come down a little bit up to race date. 

Key now is to get your head around racing smart, executing, applying that fitness in a smart way and not getting stupid on race day...(like SS has done)

You're a veteran but you can never tell yourself to be patient and disciplined too many times and no amount of fitness can overcome impatience.  Trust your fitness, maintain self confidence at all times, and kick that AG's ass!

SS