Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Tim Cronk Vermont 100 Race Plan

edited July 9, 2018 11:28PM in Racing Forum 🏎
Why run 100 miles?  Because just like the Ironman at first glance it appears absolutely impossible.  Been thinking about it for at least the last couple years since my first 50 miler, so its been a long time in the making and figured better give it a go before I get too old. Just thinking about it scares the crap out of me, I respect/fear the distance and the undertaking ahead. I do have some concerns dealing with the time frame above 15hrs and night time. So I would love any and all feed back , please don't hesitate to ask questions ,  If you dont want to wade through all the below please scroll to the bottom to read my concerns and offer ideas/opinions

Why Vermont?  Its local (2hrs from me), good time of year  , challenging with lots of vertical elevation change , non technical runnable course , unique in that they simultaneously run a Horse Endurance Ride at the same time ,  fairly easy to get into as long as you register as soon as it opens, qualifying requirements are 50miler in under 12hrs and completion of 8hrs volunteering at an Ultra or trail work. Notorious for being hot and humid , but I would prefer this over a cold race.

DESCRIPTION

The VT100 includes approx. 68 miles of rolling dirt roads, 30 miles of horse trails, and 2 miles of pavement. There are no major climbs, however the course has 17,000 feet of total ascent.Preparation - Starting from a really good base having completed Ultraman Florida early 2017 and KONA/IMAZ late 2017.  I did sit out the IMLP run taking a DNF in 2017 due to a hip issue but recovered well and had really good runs in the late year Ironman's.  After a couple weeks downtime, I laid out a rough sketch training plan , that would begin on 12/4/17, giving me 7+ months focussed training towards Vt100.  

Stats from last 7 months or 31 weeks
1580 miles , 51mpw average, 143,000 elevation gain
Run CTL peaked at 86
36 days NO Running
28 days longest run streak

Stats from last 7 weeks of specificity
432 miles, 62mpw average
57,268 elevation gain, 8,181epw average
132' average elevation per mile trained
85hrs , 12hrs per week average

Key Events and Training of last 7 months
Oracle Rumble 50k - 5:38
Antelope Canyon 50m - 9:44
R2R2R - 19hrs
Pinelands 50k - 5:04
NFEC Wachusset 50m- 12:08
Catamount 50k - 5:07
4 x 4 in 48 - 48miles in 2 days @4 miles every 4hours
3hr,2hr,3hr  - split runs every 12 hrs  8hrs run in 28hrs total
3 days of ski hill repeats on 3 local ski areas
typical back to back runs

With all that running something had to give.  Yep the Swim/Bike.  I even prioritized strength training above the Swim/Bike but I did put a pretty good block of Swim/Bike in the middle . As the pictures show you can see where the time was spent and what was sacrificed.

So lots of impressive stats that don't mean squat.  The 100 miles does not care what I have done in the past. While I believe to have prepared myself physically , or at least as much as I could handle/adapt to ,  on Race Day it boils down to execution and mental strength.  When you read books/blogs/etc on 100 mile Ultra's they like to say its 90% mental and the other 10% is mental.

My Crew - Heather Webber and @Steve Boer  As many know Heather is my secret weapon and knows me better than anybody.  She was with me during much of that statistical training data above including the Grand Canyon R2R2R on our 25th anniversary, the 4 x 4 in 48 , and many of the races.  The Vermont 100 has 20 Aid Stations of which Crew is allowed access to 8 of them, this is key for a runner with a Crew not having to access drop bags yourself.  @Steve Boer will Crew with Heather until mile 70 where he will be my pacer for the last 30 miles.  I have not met Steve in person yet which is always a risk, but I have watched him sign up for and complete 2 very hard 50k Ultra's this year , I have gotten to know him via Zwift Chat and very much look forward to meeting my new best friend  .  Steve was hesitant to accept the role as pacer, believing I needed someone faster. I assured him that I do not think speed will be an issue during those last 30 miles .  I chose him based on his dependable commitment to those previous 50k's , his outcome of completion for those events , his willingness and availability to help.  I only hope that I can repay the favor as pacer to him when he bumps up to the 50 mile distance.  I would also like to take this opportunity in advance to apologize for anything I may say or do to Heather and Steve 7/21-7/22 :-)  

Friday 7/20 Arrive Quechee Vermont airbnb rental 30 minutes from race 12-1, depart to race venue to register sign waivers for runners/crew , mandatory briefing at 4pm , dinner 5pm , back to rental , early to bed

Saturday Race Starts  Up at 2am eat and coffee, depart rental by 3am, check in race and start at 4am

Sunday 10am Race is officially over with 30 hour cutoff.  Awards and BBQ possible although with any luck we will be long done and might make it back for the festivities.

Goal- Sub 24hr for the Larger Belt Buckle - On paper its doable. 

The Plan-This is just a basic structure layout I can only imagine just like the training plan , it will be dynamically changing as we go based on weather and other variables.Without going into too much detail I plan to use a run/walk technique determined by terrain walking the steepest sections up and down. Yes even the steeper downs will be walked specially early. Expecting average pace to start around 12min miles and end at 16min miles.  Will drink sports drink every mile and to thirst, eat 2 blocks or sip gel every 30 minutes to an alert, eat 100-200 calories (mostly bananas, potatoes, and pretzels) at each of the 20 aid stations which are spaced almost every 5 miles. Below is the break down to each of the 8 Crewed Aid stations, with my expected pace, elapsed time, time of day, and what I plan to do at each Aid station.

Start- w/headlamp and hydration vest  at 4am

Crew AS #1 Pretty House- 21.3 miles, 21.3 x 12.5 min pace =  266' or 4:26 , elapsed time 4:26, time of day 8:26am .  a. drop headlamp  b. vest change  c.  1/2 date sandwhich

Crew AS #2 Stage Road- 30.2 miles,  9 x 13 min pace = 117' or 1:57 , elapsed time 6:23, time of day 10:23am  a. socks and shoes change(this maybe delayed to next AS)  b. change hat to one that covers neck  c. sunscreen  d. 1/2 date sandwhich

Crew AS #3 Camp 10 Bear- 47 miles , 16.7 x 13.5 min pace= 225' or 3:45 , elapsed time 10:08, time of day 2:08  a. change from vest to handheld  b. 1 uncrustable  c. back up sock/shoe change

Crew AS #4 Margaritaville - 58.5 miles, 11.5 x 14 min pace = 161' or 2:41, elapsed time 12:49 , time of day 4:49pm  a. sock/shoe change if done at mile 30 AS   b. 1/2 vegemite/avocado sandwhich  c. restock blocks for handheld

Crew AS #5 Camp 10 Bear- 69.4 miles, 10.9 x 14.5min pace= 158' or 2:38 , elapsed time 15:27,  time of day 7:27pm  a. pick up Steve my pacer   b.change vest   c. pick up charger for watch  d. pick up lights  e. change hat  f. 1/2 vegemite/avocado sandwhich

Crew AS #6 Spirit of 76- 76.2 miles , 6.8 x 15 min pace = 102' or 1:52 , elapsed time17:19 , time of day 9:19pm   a. drop off charger  b. uncrustable 

Crew AS #7 Bills 88 miles -  11.8 x 15.5 min pace = 183' or 3:03 , elapsed time20:22, time of day 12:22am  a. possible socks/shoes   b. exchange lights  c. salted chocolate

Crew AS #8 Pollys 94.9 miles - 6.9 x 16 min pace =110' or 1:50, elapsed time 22:12, time of day 2:12am   a. salted chocolate

Finishline 100 miles - 5.1 x 16.5min pace = 84' or 1:24 , elapsed time 23.36 , time of day 3:36am.... Celebrate

Pacing and Aid Station Times are hopefully included into my running pace times.  Although I did figure 1-2' per AS and 4-5' per Crew AS averages which calculates to 50'-84' total which adds up over time.  There are so many variables but one thing is certain I will be slower on the second half.  I dont think I am at too much danger starting faster than 12' miles vs. the plan of 12.5' but I sure am hoping I dont drop all the way to 16.5' miles of the worst case scenario in the plan above. Crew will be able to adjust my time AS to AS as I go. I will also at least have some kind of running time for the goal of sub 24hrs.

Short Training Story- Last weekend I am running the dirt back roads of NH and I come across two ladies on horses whom I had met a few weeks ago. They had requested I use my voice while approaching the animals to let them know I am a person. So when I saw them I started talking to them.  After pleasantries, one lady asks are you training for Vermont 100?  I said why yes I am.  She then proceeds to tell me how she won the Endurance Horse ride a few years back. 

Crew Will also have extra clothes for various potential weather along with some surprises I may or may not want to consume. A couple of these will be dolma's and naked mango smoothie with skratch mango hyper hydration.  But I look forward to the variety and hope to keep the appetite going.  My longest days of 12 and 19 hrs I never lost the ability to eat.

Biggest Concern- Really looking for help or ideas here.
On several occasions. Everest attempt, 4x4 night runs, and 2hr night run after a 3 hour day run.Training in an exhausted state at night I have felt dizzy, like my equilibrium is messed up, not total vertigo but similar, almost like getting off a boat, motorcycle, or RV and still have that feeling of motion, sometimes ringing in the ears, stomach is ok , drinking and eating is fine but really not feeling good.  I plan to minimize the use of caffeine until absolutely necessary as well as the use of tylenol. Some of the above is from bouncing lights so will try to minimize that as well through belt lights, headlamps, and handheld lights. Will have tums, pepto bismal, pain killers, ginger, sodium , calories, and caffeine to combat if needed of feeling like they will help.  I have also not ruled out at all taking a nap if necessary.
Help -Thoughts here?

BTW- I'm feeling ready.  My body really handled the last two weeks training very well.  Yes there are little niggles but nothing I'm too worried about.  I'm also actually starting to wrap my head around the distance.  Confidence is building and should continue through the taper !

I have even "tried" to grow an Ultra Beard to give me the power.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited July 10, 2018 12:20AM
    @tim cronk - Let me be the first to say that the power of your ultra beer is diminished by the fact that you wearing a wetsuit T-shirt. But even that can be fixed. I assume all future pictures will involve you and a very large belt buckle.

The first good news is that you have prepared for this race like nobody else could. Your commitment and focus and diligence have built an engine that likely outmatches much of the other people doing the race.  

That said, I assume a large part of that is also out of fear of the unknown. There’s probably some Wiley bastard out there who didn’t train very much at all but knows exactly what to do mentally that will likely outperform you. But those are just the rules of the new game you are playing.  A few things come to mind in no particular order.

If you didn’t say so above, and extra pair of shoes. New shoes and new socks or a game changer. Don’t ask me why but I always feel like it on those longer sessions.

If you feel good, you should eat. Not rocket science but I’m assuming at some point your body‘s not gonna be with your plan and it will really have sucked if you missed a bunch of optimal feeding time because it didn’t fit Into some predetermined window for actual food consumption. Similarly, bring a little bit extra of all of that food in case one particular thing becomes your favorite mid run.

Have a extra can of try slide around for any trouble some chafing so you can spray it down. Nobody wants to end up like Peter Noyes on a vasa. 

What’s your emergency food that saves the day?

are they allowed to lie to you to get it done? 

Is is there any advice Brian Hagan would give in terms of dealing with you?

where are the baby wipes?!

so pumped for you...

• Options
    edited July 10, 2018 2:14AM
    Wow. What an undertaking. I wish I had something to add, but it seems you have spent plenty of time planning and training. I will watch this with interest and continue to learn from your experience. Have a great day...and night! Thank you for keeping us up to date on your journey. 
  • Options
    Your planning is incredible. Nothing to add but from what I've seen at Western States is that the crew becomes your brain when you are not able to think clearly. Have a great race! 
  • Options
    as always, in Awe of what you try plan & execute, and should say that my own move to VT has me looking at this down the line as well as some of the other crazy races that happen in my new backyard. (of which there seems to be no shortage!)

I don't need to tell you what to do. I will say that I will be planning to be sleepless next Saturday night & get to the crossings & aid stations we are allowed at. I will be certain to have some interesting flavors of Oreos ready for a secret fuel at that stage of the race. 

I will also say that if you need a substitute pacer for a few miles, given the nature of these roads (and I've seen some first hand), despite my arm and other injuries, I should be able to jump in. 

Looking forward to watching you add this to a long list of epic accomplishments and learning from your experience!

(nice beard!) #fearthebeard
  • Options
    "I have also not ruled out at all taking a nap if necessary"

Tim, I hope you don't experience any dizziness.  IMO it's the brain telling you it needs a break.  If it happens lie down and nap for 10 minutes
  • Options
    Good Luck Cronkster...you will crush it. Your well prepared....mental and pacing and smartness...patience and discipline still apply.....I've done 50 and have 100 on my bucket list...(my bucket seems to be getting bigger and fuller..LOL)...Love the Ultra Beard...ya gotta hav it...but can't see you noshing on M&M's and Pizza on course...chukl.
  • Options
    You got this Tim Cronk! Like Coach P said, you are prepared and its now just down to the mental game.

A couple notes:
    1. Are any of those spare shoes a 1/2 size larger? You may want that, your feet could swell.
    2. Do not sit down (or at least wait until mile 75 as a reward)!! You are the triathlon master at transitions, so apply that same discipline here at the aid stations. Do not give up an hour toward your 24 hour goal by dilly dallying at the aid stations. Ideally your crew could set up your things all laid out each time so there is no digging through bags or boxes.
    3. I think with the adrenaline of the race and having competitors around you, you will be fine at night. At least you now know what to expect having already experienced it.
    4. Lube everything. The insides of your butt cheeks will chafe and that is the worst.
  • Options
    I have nothing of value to contribute, other than to say good luck!  I will be living vicariously through you on this fantastic adventure and can't wait to read your race report where you crushed it! 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick that is not just any wetsuit shirt but a KONA special, EN execution all the way, I am that wiley bastard,  I plan 1 or 2 sock/shoe changes, full on wash feet with alcohol , then relube with trail toes,  2 cans tri-slide on order, coke is the emergency always coke, yes lie to me just like you guys did at IMAZ,  baby wipes nice call got it.

@Sid Wavrin @Joseph Lombardi thanks for the kind words friends... Funny day and night or days 21st and 22nd just sounds weird.... Bucketlist vs. The Clock will always be an issue LOL!

@Sheila Leard Nothing on my late night dizzy equilibrium?  How about dramamine?

@Paul Curtin I really think the "nap" maybe the only solution if it comes to that.  Avoidable if I can walk at a good pace but certainly an option.  

@Scott Dinhofer I Would love to have you join the crew. Specially the night shift with Heather after Steve joins me.   Couple things.  Each runner is only allowed one car on the course.  Each car needs to have a sticker on it which will be checked at each AS that is accessible to Crew.  Pacers must be registered on Friday , Heather will be registering as back up to @Steve Boer but I fully intend on making Steve run 30.4 miles.  Lots could be co-ordinated through out the day with progress reports etc.  I pick Steve up at mile 69.4 so joining them prior to that would be good, but I'll let you think about it and work it out with them. Oreo's?  Mmmmm

@Peter Noyes  I got the extra vest idea from you, will have 3 different vests all tested in training and one hand held which will save time filling by switching and give various parts of my body a rest.  Yes shoes 1/2 size larger and also with more drop incase my achilles act up with Altra's,  BTW my shoes are Torin Mesh/Duo , back up larger shoe is Lone Peak, shoe with drop is Brooks Ghost, beware of the chair YES, way too many AS way too easy to waste time,  I had a good quick system at NFEC 50miler which kept me moving through the AS so should not be a problem and one I am very aware of,  Crew will have extensive instructions for each of the 8 AS and should go very smooth, infact I dont wanna be too efficient as I need to rest and have fun right?  Lube everything, normally not an issue for me except a few spots but going for it on this race , cant be too slippery.  Thanks for thoughts!
  • Options

Tim, this is amazing.  I really enjoyed reading your plan and the thinking behind it.  Good skill!  

And you're competing in the human (and not the equine) version of the race, right? 

• Options
    @tim cronk I asked a running coach who trains athletes for Western States.  He hadn’t heard of it. He is going to reach out to another coach. Do lights bother your eyes at night when driving?  
  • Options
    @sheila Leard Lights while driving at night are not an issue other than I
    cant see as well as when I was 40 but that's a whole other problem.
  • Options
    I add these thoughts late to the party.  Following from a far, I know you will do great!  The 90+% that is mental is your strength.  While I have not competed at night, I  occasionally  have 36+ hour shifts.  I find that the brain does go through some type of fatigue. For me, it can be controlled by getting in some glucose, a pinch on the hand to "wake up" , or even a bit of caffeine.  It really varies.   Knowing that it may come is an important step.  Don't fear it just work to push through it.   
  • Options
    @tim cronk good racing to you.  Don't forget to pack the unicorn dust.  I'm hoping you left some on the Ventum for me.

Skip the Dramamine.  That stuff is bad and you will really be dizzy.  If you wanted to try motion sickness medicine, I would recommend Quells.  You have to order it online, its from Australia or some other country.
  • Options
    Since my experience with trail running is limited to 10ks @ the end of Xterras, and night time to Ragnar trail relays (80 minutes max), I've got nothing for you but respect, wonder, hope you emerge sane and unbroken, and the wish that you keep doin' it 'til you can't. Then get up and do it some more.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2018 11:02AM
    Tim, looks like:
    A) the beard will bring you to the buckle!
    B) you are as prepared for this race with as much detail as all your long course badassery!

I listen to a podcast called the Fat Black.  The host is a tri coach who is now running ultras.   One of his goals for his first 100 miler was to NOT BE AN ASSHOLE to his crew.  So yeah...smile a lot, and have that as a goal too.  Then your new BFF Steve and your Secret Weapon Heather will definitely be in for the next adventure.  If ya gotta be an ass, save if for the Hoff lol! ;)
  • Options
    @Al Truscott - @tim cronk isn't entering this even sane, why would he emerge that way?  :no_mouth:
  • Options
    @tim cronk I think I covered all the mistakes I made that I know you won't during our phone call.  You've got the fitness and are way more prepared than 99% of ultrarunners.  It's all mental game now.  You joked that I was insane to do the Bear 100 on two weeks preparation (and I probably was), but I absolutely believed I could do it.  I never contemplated quitting, even the last 20 miles on a bum leg.  Have that belief.

I believe you will crush Vermont 100!  You've got all of EN pulling for you!  Now go out there and kick some motherfucking ass!
  • Options
    @Dave Tallo yes human, not a silly question, a guy who ran last year is on horse this year, it has also been done before.

@Gabe Peterson thanks for your help and phone call. Cya on the other side

@Trish Marshall got if I gotta be an ass the HOFF 😀👍

@Scott Dinhofer no arguments here on the sanity

@Al Truscott thank you my mentor for the kind words and pep talk as I enter unchartered territory.... Feels like my first IM and then some!

@Gary Lewis I read about Quells/Kwells and sounds like bad stuff, so does Dramamine, only going there if my world is spinning and I don't think it will get that bad.

@Todd Glass 36 hr shift? WTH do you do? I used to work ATC split shifts of 2x 8hrs with 8hrs off in between and not sleep, but it's different when moving for long periods of time.

• Options
    I can't add anything except that Turby and I are so proud of you for taking on this endeavor and we know that you will be kicking some ass out there!  You are totally ready for this!  We luv ya bud!  xo

• Options
    edited July 14, 2018 5:21AM
    @tim cronk First off have a great race.  You are well trained by looking at the graphs and are a execution ninja.

- The first thing I was thinking was have some lube with you. If something even feels like it's starting to chaff you won't want to wait until the next aid station and definitely not a crew AS.
    - As for the dizziness when I've done longer training days when I was younger I can sometimes get this from being in the sun with no hat heat stroke like symptoms.  Water and having a hat that covers my head worked for me.  Other times I get the dizziness when not getting enough nutrition in my body.  This latter thought sent me down a rabbit hole and lead to some number crunching and analysis, see below. 
    - I know you've done a lot of long training and racing R2R2R but I got to thinking about your nutrition and where there were gaps as it seemed the crew stations are somewhat sporadic and far apart.  You planned nutrition is sports drink. 2blocks or sip gel; 100-200 cals at 5 mile aid stations, then  the food at the crew AS.  
    - Will you getting enough calories later in the day particularly when the pace will slow down?  Base on the rough premise that 1 mile burns approximately 100 calories, you need around 10000 calories to complete the race, plus add in 2000 for subsistence and we are looking for at least 12000 calories as the subsistence number while a little high also assumes 7-8 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period.  Can your body consume this much I don't know. 

From above - Sports drink - I'll assume say 200 cals/hour (Gatorade endurance is ~90 cal per 12 ounces so 30-36 ounces is 210-252 per hour ); 100 cals block/gel for an hour; then 100-200 calories every 5 miles. That's 300-350 cal/hour then the aid stations of 100-200.  When you are running 12' miles you will hit an aid station close to the chime of an hour but this will deteriorate over the course of the day, say at 15' miles the aid stations are pushed out to every 75' and the crew aid stations will be even further apart.  I further assumed that the crew aid stations would be additional calories on top of the 5 miles stations.

So you are consistently getting in 300-350 cal/hour with an additional 1-200 every 5 miles then the crew AS  as follows - 2X date sandwiches (say 200 cals??); Crew AS 3 uncrustable ~210 cals; Crew AS 4 & 5 1/2 veggiemite  (125 cals:https://www.fatsecret.com.au/calories-nutrition/generic/vegemite-sandwich ; Crew AS 6 Uncrustable 210 https://www.smuckers.com/products/uncrustables/uncrustables-sandwiches/peanut-butter-and-grape-jelly ; Crew AS 7 & 8 salted chocolate (?? 200 no idea here).

I then went further down my rabbit hole as I could not intuitively see where the gaps were so I created the attached google spreadsheet.  (Yes Patti took Brody to her parents this weekend so I had some free time. to geek out to with a spreadsheet)

I've shared the link below which you can edit with changes:  

I set the duration in column B based on your estimates starting at 12'30" miles and ending at 16'30".  If you want to adjust the times do so in columns R and S based on each crew AS.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GEAu7fVME4pW5vUXTa4dZln7-YU-tpsl65mo4dSbJUo/edit?usp=sharing

I mapped out two scenarios a low and high calorie scenarios looking with the following columns; sports drink cals per mile; block/gel cals per mile; 5 mile aid station cals; crew aid station cals; mile totals (calories for each specific mile); cumulative total (sum of cals throughout the race); and cal per hour.

Scenario one - Gatorade Endurance ~200 cals/hour (5.3-6.5 ounces 40-50 cal per mile), 50 cal block/gels every 30 minutes and 100 cals at each 5 miles aid station.   For the crew AS nutrition I made some assumptions on your 1/2 date sandwich, uncrushable, 1/2 vegemite sandwiched, and chocolate food intake, between 125 and 200 calories

In the mile totals and cals per hour columns for both scenarios I have enlarged and bolded big calorie miles or hours.  Any mile total with 250 or more calories or any cal per hour over 600 has been flagged.  

Low Scenario calorie intake points of interest

- Note in the low cal scenario there are 5 individual miles at or above 250 calories with mile 30 being the biggest caloric intake (340 cals) right around crew AS 2 and a 5 miles aid station.  Mile 30 is also bracket by gel/block intakes. 

- For the hourly calculation there are only 3 hours at or over 600, hour 5 (mile 20-24) and hours 21 and 22 (miles 88-95).   These are linked to Crew AS 1, 7 & 8.  Be wary of the late race heavy calories, particularly if you are having stomach issues.

- Of note for the low scenario there are 4 hours of low caloric intake (<400 cals/hour) including 3, 8, 14 & 15.  Hour 3 (miles 11-14) is what I'd consider very low at 260 calories and hour 8 (miles 34-37) is 390; hour 14  and 15 (miles 60-67) are 390 & 360 calories per hour respectively.  Hour 15 again concerns me @ 360 cals and further the two low caloric hours strung together could be a problem.  I'm also concerned about the stretch between hours 8 through 15 (miles 34 through 67) as you don't have an hourly caloric intake over 425 cal/hour with 3 hours below 400 over that stretch.  

Calories fall out due to the way the 5 mile and crew aid stations line up.  I believe you will need more calories  at certain points (carry a clif bar, some more gel or GE) and some kind of plan for the heavy caloric hours.  Time your walking break or perhaps a little easier run coming out of the crew AS where you have heavy caloric intake.   

High Scenario Calorie intake points of interest

Scenario two, the hi scenario has GE ~250 cal/hour (6-8.6 ounces or 50-65 cals), *one hour has 3X80 closer to the end); same block/gel (100/hour) as above and 200 cals at each 5 mile aid stations.  Same assumptions on the crew aid stations.

- Upping calories results in 23 of 100 miles being at or above 250 calories, with 10 miles being at or above 300 calories.  Note mile 30 has 465 calories again due to the 5 mile aid station and the Crew AS 2.  This will be a ton of calories.
     - On an hourly basis there are 7 hours where caloric in take is at or above 600 cal/hour including: hour 2(miles 6-10), 5 (miles 20-24) hour 7 (mile 30-33) hour 9 (mile 38-42); hour 16 (mile 68-71) and hours 21 & 22 (miles 88-95).

- Hours 5, 7, 21 and 22 are the big concerns here particularly the back to back 21 & 22. These hours have 800, 740; 750 and 810 calories respectively.  

- Again hour 3 (miles 11-14) only has 300 calories.   Under this scenario hour 13 (miles 56-59) is on the only other hour  with calories in the 400's at 425.

Given my opening premise of requiring at least 12000 calories you can see the low scenario net out 10420 calories and the high around 13495.  I think with some tweaks to the low scenario for those hours where caloric consumption is down, particularly that middle sectionit could get you in to a better range.  Then again maybe you are drinking more calories than I accounted for and this was a less than fruitful exercise.  Having said that I'm happy I could not let this go as there was some interesting notes particularly around mile 30 and house 21 &22 convergence of the 5 miles and crew aid station.  

Let me know if you have any questions.  Now back to playing some computer games.

• Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak  OMFG I dont know why I spent so much time working on my nutritional plan.  I plan to contract you for the task next time :-)  Thank You so much for your time consuming, well written, thought provoking, and very helpful post.  Lots of really good assumptions of 100 cal per mile , basal metabolic needs in addition to, calories on all of my planned foods etc (even the vegemite sandwhich).  The only thing I really needed to adjust was the fluid consumption (30oz per hr is way too much for me even in KONA). Just like an IM we cant replace all that is used during the event but only what we can absorb.  Many call the 100 an eating contest and not a running race. Most of my IM's, 50 mile Ultra's have been 300 cal per hr and 15-30oz per hr usually falling in the 20oz per hr range, and these were done at a much higher intensity than I plan to use for the 100.  Feeding and Pacing of an Ultra takes on a "let the course dictate when" while its nice to be on a time schedule that doesnt always work so a lot will be dynamic and by feel.  I am going to change my block feedings to mileage instead of time so that I may place them more in the middle of the Aid Stations.  BTW there are 25 Aid Stations and 8 of them will be my Crew Aid Stations.   So with that in mind, I adjusted my sports drink averages to 4oz per mile, 16oz per hr, and 120 cal per hr.  I then input 100 cal at every AS and 250 cal at every Crew AS.   2-3 blocks depending on type (I have a couple) or sip of gel has been spaced every 2-3 miles between most of the AS.  This adds up to 8792 calories or 366 per hour for 24hrs or the 100 miles if I finish sooner but stay on that feeding schedule. I think that would be my best case scenario of a maximum amount I can consume and digest.  There are so many variables, there will be many of those AS where I do not eat 100 cal and some where I go over, there will be surprise foods and drink as well.  But I think its a good plan and as long as I keep eating I should be good.  Since the race starts at 4am and I am not worried about fiber and pit stops during the race, I plan to eat a larger meal at 5pm  than I would for an IM, I will also be eating at 2:30am only 1.5hrs before the start.  

I guess I forgot to do a report on R2R2R cause I went back to review that 19hr day, I do remember it wasnt that much (keep in mind almost all hiking) along the lines 15oz skratch per hour or 8 liters total, 3bars , 1 sand which, bunch of gels and blocks, probably under 200 cal per hour total by my quick estimation.  So my needs will be more than 200 per hr but probably not as high as 300 per hr considering the actual intensity I will be operating at, which makes that 366 per hr definitely on the high side.  

Thanks again that was great!
  • Options
    And THAT ^ my friends is the power of the EN forum that is underutilized.
  • Options
    @tim cronk No problem. I was sitting here thinking how the GE might be high and the caloric intake very hard to consume in the high scenario while actually running so and I get the eating contest comment.  I know what it feels like at the end of an IM for me at close to 17 hours and 230 lbs or so lbs, but I can eat a lot on the bike to off set the run.  You still have to go several more hours beyond anything I've done and doing it all running which make it harder to eat.  

I think your number of 8792 calories is very good given a couple factors.  My high assumption on base metabolic rate needed to be much better and is more reflective of a light activity full day.  Base metabolic rate is more in the 12-1300 calorie range. Factor in the pre race stuff and you can take 650-700 calories off my 10-12K.  Also the 100 cal/per mile really gets magnified in a long race and is probably more reflective of a slightly higher intensity than you will be doing.  I should have done some more research on this as it turn out the 10-12000 caloric needs are more for someone 20 years old, 6 feet tall and 200 lbs, definitely not reflective of you.  

One running calculator I did come across -http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/94.shtml 120 lbs put your caloric needs at 9480 for the 100 miles last night and that's where my thinking started.  A second calculator which I like much better that I just found is more detailed and utilizes the compendium of physical activity to calculate energy cost for running and should be even more accurate allows for age, height and weight.  https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1350959101

@56 years old; 120 lbs at 5'6" (sorry if you are taller) running speed 5MPH (12'30" miles = 4.8 MPH; while 16' miles = 3/75 MPH) 1200 minutes (this equated to 100 miles) puts the caloric needs at 9020.  Change that to 4mph running speed and 1500 minutes (again 100 miles) puts the caloric needs at 8151.  So your 8792 put you right in the wheel house for a good race and gives some wiggle room to go down a little.  

The only other factor that I have not talked about is the additional requirements of the 17K in elevation.  This article source the compendium of physical activity - https://www.verywellfit.com/how-many-more-calories-do-you-burn-walking-uphill-3975557 

Add an inch and a lb adds in ~120 calories to the caloric needs

So having said that coming in with your glycogen stores and tweaking your plan to try and balance out the day as best you can is all you can do.  
  • Options
    Gordon equally as awesome follow up with three great links, glad you did it
    before "all" the research as those sights validate your work and what I
    thought was possible, actually amazing how close it is.
  • Options
    Gary, absolutely the best tool within EN is the peer discussed race plans
    and race reports, no matter how many I do, and sometimes not wanting to
    bother, I always every single time learn something from somebody, or the
    very minimum learn to rethink things. Gordon is displaying why he is a
    WSM. BTW he really knows his shit about IMLP so pay attention 😀
  • Options
    Carol thank you so much , miss you guys, say hey to Turby!
  • Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak I made an error yesterday, using the wrong column for the crew AS, so had extra calories left, after removing those I end up with 7300 for the 24hrs which is closer to 300 per hour .  Even though shy of the 9000 calcs its A bit more reasonable as far as what I have done in the past .  Great stuff.
  • Options
    @tim cronk yes apparently I did not do the quick math in my head 300X24 does not = 8700.  You can only eat so much plus you have the 2am feeding prior to the race adding in several hundred calories.

Have a great race and go get yourself a large belt buckle.
  • Options
    @Tim Cronk & @ Gordon Cherwoniak - Wow! I have followed your progression all year. Cool to see it all in one place and come together. Good skill! I'm excited to follow your race. Will Heather provide the Group Me channel updates?
    #Timbecomesanultrarunner or something simpler #Tim@VT100