Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Evan O'Regan Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

edited August 14, 2019 7:27PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Evan, I have a similar plan for you and Lee Ann through the 100k, and it's modified through Placid 70.3™...but we need to make sure the remainder of training is in a good spot after that; so please peek ahead and put your feedback thoughts in here so we can sort them out!

+++++++++

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Lake Placid (2019-09-08) #70.3LP_19
  • 100km ultra (10-26-2019)

Your Notes

Last year through this year has been all about getting back into the sport and getting closer to race-fit. Basically going from day-to-day level basic unstructured workouts to tri-capable training and fitness. 

Started upping the load last year with 2018 Placid 70.3, 2019 MT 70.3 (5:55), IMLP (14h), and Placid 70.3 coming in Sept; 100K ultra in Oct. Focus so far has been on ramping up while avoiding injury = a lot building up run durability/base/volume low zone 2 work, some intervals and threshold work. Feeling very healthy (body and mind) with enough base level fitness to really start training in earnest. 

I'd like to be strategic about the season planning, taking the approach of a 2 year build i.e. aiming for a good 2020 season to set the stage for a great 2021. In terms of goals, I'd like to build up to a level of fitness to be the best triathlete I can be - really I'm chasing that feeling of performing at the top of my game (whatever that translates to in terms of race results) while having a ton of fun along the way and setting an example for our kids.

I also wouldn't mind targeting an 'apex' race for me, late 2020 or in 2021. I love the interesting and hilly courses, but being a big guy, I thought it would be cool to target a race that caters to my strengths on the bike, maybe a flatter course (FL, AZ, TX?) to try and hit a high water mark in the results. I mean, I can't just ignore the Type A in me, can I? :)

Signed up for MT 70.3 June 2019, thinking maybe IMMT 2019 as my A race next year, but open to suggestion to any races in NAM. Would also be open to a late season full this year...

FTP 306

5K test 26min

Body comp has been improving steadily as a byproduct of the training / eating clean while training, with a goal of ~185-190lbs (from current 205-210lbs) ie working on getting my W/KG above 4.X. My achilles heel seems to be heat retention and I like racing as Skinny Evan better - just less meat to move and cool.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on August 14, 2019

• Connect the EN Half Minimalist plan with the Ultra Plan, through 10/27/2019.
  • Recover for two weeks through 11/09/19.
  • On 11/10/19, load up the Run Durability Program (RDP) for Triathletes to roll through the new year!

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Evan, Welcome back to Endurance Nation - with your wife in tow!

I'm Matt and I'm here to help make your first 30 days as easy and awesome as possible. I'm here to help you get up to speed with your plan, your basic schedule, workout terminology, and all of our resources - if you want it. I'll send some links to articles, forums or coach videos that apply to your training. I encourage you to look around and let me know what you are interested in. There are ton of videos, coach lessons and forums that are available to you as a TeamEN member.

Coach Patrick mentioned capturing the stress and recovery for all your training and that is what we have Final Surge for. I can help you get that set up, but here are some things to get started with.

First, here are are some easy steps to get the most out out your training plan, Coach Thread and Final Surge.

Again, Power user tip! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when respond. It keeps the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when you get a response in your Coach thread. See video here:

Next, get setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.)

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

Then chose either Garmin or Strava. Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

As you get all your tech setup (Connecting to Final Surge) either Garmin or Strava. Also consider downloading the Final Surge App. This might make it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It makes it super easy to add comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Then add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Just a quick note goes a long way and are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

You can also setup Final Surge to send you emails with your workouts every day.

Once you get your Garmin/Strava/Final Surge linked up, we can work on updating your training plan with customized zones. We will need some 5k race heart rate data (for the run) and FTP power (for the bike). Once we have that data we can update your workouts and integrate your data. The original set of workouts will say 20' @ Zone 2, but once we update your training plan with your zones they will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate). After we update them you won't have to memorize your numbers - but you will become intimately familiar with them.

Here is how to update your zones:

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Talk with you soon.

• Options

Evan, nice work this week. I like your comments, they will add up and give you some additional insight as you build towards your ultra.

With Lake Placid 70.3 coming up, You may want to check out some of Coach Patrick's race execution guidance as you think about your race. It starts with overall guidance, 4 keys to racing, then transitions into specifics for the Ironman and Half-Ironman. A lot of this should be familiar to you, but you might pick up a tip or two and consider including into your race plan. (I shared the same links with Lee Ann too.)

Long Version (lots of detail)

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/RacingMemberCentral/RaceExecutionDetails/MasterRaceExecutionPage(HalfFull).aspx

Summary Version:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Execution%2c+Half+Ironman

If you are interested in more. These are resources from the "Learning" section of the Dashboard - under "long course triathlon" and "Wiki" -> "Race Execution" -> "Advanced Race Execution Resources"

There is more learning stuff like this for the ultra and a nice group of folks on the Team that are really into ultras right now - a bunch of them just did Leadville Trail 100. Crazy. More on that later.

• Options
    edited August 26, 2019 6:23PM

Howdy - thanks for all the feedback!

First the homework questions:

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?

Getting through the season happy / healthy / ready to race more. Goals for the current season are/were:

• Mt Treblant 70.3 Sub 6hr - check!
    • IMLP - finish with a smile - check!
    • Placid 70.3 Sub 6hr/solid run - tbd
    • Javalina 100k - finish with a smile - tbd
    • Canada Army Run 1/2 Marathon - just for fun
    • Ramp up the fitness with an eye for training hard in the off-season for next year

• What's your biggest limiter right now?

I'm very fortunate to have a fairly flexible schedule which allows me to work from home as required - this really helps to coordinate so both LA and I can get our workouts in. I do, however, have to travel regularly. I usually try to book accommodations close to a pool and run facilities, but getting the bikes in while on the road is probably my biggest limiter at the moment.

Next Season:

So far we have signed up for the Tremblant 70.3 / 140.6 combo, probably some fun runs in there. I'd like to go sub 5.5hr for the 70.3 and 12.X hr for the full (feels reasonable, lots of time to be gained on the run). Ultimately I want to have a solid run in both of those events.

Ask me after Javalina if there's going to be another ultra in 2020 (100 miler vs 100k??) on the radar (probably). Either that or maybe a late season race (IMFL or IMAZ?). Open to conversation and suggestions here - basically if I did e.g. IMAZ would be a dress rehearsal to line up for my Apex race in 2021. I'll look into the EN key race options, too.

• Options

Evan, Thanks for the homework. You are knocking out your season and I love the focus on an apex race in 2021 - with the goal of building that fitness and staying healthy. Congratulations on your body composition too. Great work. I checked out the Canada Army Run - that is a really cool race shirt. I wouldn't normally run just for the race shirt - but that one is super cool. The Javelina sounds like a great time to be AZ.

I'm happy to see training is good well and you are feeling good leading to Lake Placid. As a race note: If you want, think about how Mt. Tremblant 70.3 went and compare that to the race execution stuff in the post above. Then, consider 1 or 2 areas in race execution that you could focus on for Lake Placid 70.3. Going faster is as much about developing the fitness as it is about getting smarter about how you race, how your body responds and nailing your best race execution.

The staying healthy part & the run durability Coach Patrick has programmed for your season will help put a nice dent in your run time at Tremblant for next year. A lot of that dent is made in the Outseason with the consistent (low volume) running and some strength work on the bike. But, that is all coming up after Lake Placid and the Ultra this year. Look forward to talking with you some more.

• Options

Sooo... dumb question, possibly a glitch... just logged in to load my workouts for tomorrow and noticed that the workouts in my FS calendar from tomorrow to the end of Oct have disappeared...

Was it something I said?

If so, I'm sorry <sniff>

• Options

Evan, I had a great time chatting with you.

Here is the link for you and Lee Ann to book a call with Coach Patrick (sometime time between 8-21 Sept, that will be your transition time after the Lake Placid Half. You guys can talk about how to use the Ultra and Run Durability programs to build on your HIM fitness while working up to Javelina. Schedule soon these go fast.

You can book a call with Coach Patrick here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

If none of those times work for you then please text him directly with times that work and I can fit you in. 6175133830

Here are some links to the Forum discussions on the science behind the Outseason workouts:

• Options

Evan, totally my fault. You are all set.

What happened: After we spoke I notice a problem with your (and Lee Ann's) season plan after the 100k. There were double/overlapping workouts loaded. I was able to sort out your season, but I when I made the correction I made a mistake that impacted those two weeks. Totally my fault. You are all set now.

Your training matches Lee Ann's - just like before, up to the 100K. I chatted with Coach Patrick to double check the layout. He will have correct Lee Ann's season a bit - only the part AFTER the 100k. You are both all set for Lake Placid and the build for the 100k. Its just Lee Ann's training that need to be cleaned up a bit - after the 100k. It will match yours after the 100k, but he'll clean that up in a bit.

I gave him the heads up that you were planning to call after Lake Placid to talk Ultra stuff and the need to clean up Lee Ann's season plan.

There are some long runs (4+ hours) in the weeks after Lake Placid - we may/will have to adjust those based on how you are feeling after the race. That is something to talk with Coach Patrick about - how we can transition you from triathlon to running and then slowly increasing your long run in the weeks following Lake Placid.

I'm so sorry.

• Options

@Evan O'Regan Good luck to you and Lee Ann this weekend! I look forward to hearing all about it. ~Matt

• Options

How did it go?

• Options

@Evan O'Regan

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!). 

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? 
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out. 

You have several options: 

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

You guys totally made Coach Patrick's update video! See the Dashboard!

• Options

@matt limbert

Hi Matt,

Apologies for the delayed reply, took a bit of time to process the day. I guess if I had to summarize, it wasn’t a good or bad race for me, but whatever you call that third option when the plusses and minuses don’t add up neatly.

Two weeks ago when I (stupidly) injured my leg, before I left the hospital, I asked the doc that stitched me back together for a no-BS assessment on whether or not I should race. After a very long pause she laid out the probably-not-but-here-are-the-facts-just-don’t-be-an-idiot criteria.

I experimented during the next couple workouts to see what I could reasonably tolerate on the run and the bike (not too bad), but the wildcard was the swim as the doc had strongly cautioned me to stay out of the water until race day to minimize the risk of infection. I also opted out of the taper workouts to allow some extra recovery time. By Saturday night the leg was looking/feeling reasonably ok, so I made the decision to race after all, see how it would go. 

The usual race morning wakeup and fuelling routine, no hiccups, very low stress. Did a short warmup swim, no problem. Standing on the beach for that 15 minutes or so while waiting for the rolling start, however, I started to get cold. As I stepped up to the start, I was shivering a bit and felt my leg starting to tighten up, but was able to stretch/move around get it to release.

I was about 250M in, trying to get into that Zen groove when the leg seized. I tried moving around all kinds of ways, even semi-standing on the wire. It loosened a bit. Started swimming and it tightened up again. I looked down at that long row of buoys to go; seriously considered getting to a boat and calling it. Fuck it. I decided to try to make it to the next buoy, could always flag a kayak if I needed to. Felt like I was just inching along. Made it to the buoy. Ok. Repeat. One more. One more.

Standing up at the swim exit, once it got weighted it started to release a bit more. Didn’t even look at my watch, figured it didn’t matter at this point, anyway. Slow-slow jog to transition, so far so good. Couple stretches in transition; let’s give the bike a try. Do-able as long as I don’t push too-too hard, let’s back off the watt targets a bit. Ok. Let’s give the run a try. Not bad, able to hold TRP (minus a 3 min porto-john break in the first mile). Legit walked the aid stations, no more than enough to get some hydration in and only walked the steepest parts of Lisa G hill and the other big-big hill (as planned). 

The headspace throughout the day was the biggest struggle. There was a bit of physical pain, sure, but that was manageable. It was the persistent disappointment that made me really have to dig deep psychologically to keep from staying in a dark place. On the one hand, I get it – wasn’t a DNF and I was still able to execute, adjust on the fly; bike was ok-ish, the run was consistent and I was able to push on the last mile; my leg was sore, but my body didn’t feel wrecked at the end. On the other hand, I haven’t bothered to check my official results and probably won’t. Focusing on the next race. I’m hoping a bit of time will help me figure out where to put this race experience on my mental shelf. 

• Options

I have some thoughts, but I'd like to what did you learn from the whole experience?

@Evan O'Regan

• Options

Good question... in no particular order:

• Missing the race prep / final taper workouts was foolish and should have been a sign. Tactically, it would have been an opportunity (and way better for so many reasons) to problem solve before the race. I don’t want to be dealing with anything new on race day. Bigger picture, though, if the injury was bad enough to sideline the workouts right before the race then I should have been seriously questioning whether to race at all.
    • Setting a proper intention for the race is critical. The frustration with my performance came from the delta between my pre-injury expectations and the reality of the day. Resetting my expectations (in advance) would have made a world of difference in how I perceived/experienced the day.
    • Related to both the above, it feels like I experienced the difference between execution and flow. Using this experience to learn how I can improve my execution under duress is valuable, but the big takeaway was feeling how my flow and headspace can be impacted. I decided to race with a serious wildcard and it tilted the entire experience. I wouldn’t do that again.

In short: respect the distance.

@matt limbert

• Options

Evan, there is a lot of really insightful stuff there. First, I would give yourself a bit of a break - "missing the race prep / final workouts was foolish." It was actually very smart - you followed your doctor's instructions and avoided making things worse in the long term. Going back to your opening post-race statement - "when the plusses and minuses don't add up neatly." I think you found yourself another race category. "Good" race, "Bad" race and "Learning" race.

A "good" race is typically one that we feel that we executed our fitness well, rose to the challenges both physically and mentally, stayed mentally positive and met our pre-race expectations. A "bad" race is typically one that we feel that we executed our fitness poorly, make bad decisions during the race that compounded our problems, let a negative mental story impact our execution and we fail to meet our pre-race expectations.

Like you said, you did a both. You make some great comments about how your mental toughness/flow/headspace were impacted and setting a proper intention for the race. You nailed it with your comment "Resetting my expectations (in advance) would have made a world of difference in how I perceived/experienced the day." You were present in your headspace enough to recognize what was happening to you and needed to dig deep. And you did. You were happy with your in race execution given your situation and you mentioned being mentally present enough to work through the negative stories. It wasn't what you were looking for but you are smarter now because if it. While all races have a "plusses & minuses" - we end up wanting to categorize them as what we consider "good" and "bad" but they all have learning points too. This one was a little messy and dominated by learning points about intentions and expectations. Maybe, that is where it this one ends up for you - in a whole new category.

• Options

@Evan Thanks for the picture of the monorail And the great chat yesterday. I am cutting / pasting what I sent to Lee Ann below so you can check it out and stay on the same page.

That said, I want to be sure that the training we have outlined for you is going to work with regards to your schedules (can you both do a long run on a Saturday, for example, with the kiddos / puppy / etc.)? Please let me and Matt know so we can help out!

++++ Cut / Pasted +++++

Per our conversation, I have made some changes to the ultra plan for the next few weeks. Midweek cycling ride with some big gear work, and then "warm up" riding on the weekends. I am not sure how you will both juggle the time, so feel free to let me know now you want to do it (or give me some more details). 

The key piece is week of 9/30 where you will peak out with volume on the weekend with two big back to back run / walk / hike efforts…so plan ahead. While you won’t be maxing out the volume, you can both help your cause by walking everywhere and doing lots of standing. Feel free to take the kiddos for a long hike, etc, as well…any "feet time" is a bonus here. \

And let’s not forget about the learning component. You can both take advantage of our forums, using the search bar to find anything about "ultra" or "ultra running" or "100k" for example. But we also have our ultrarunning page which should provide some additional details for you: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/UltraRunning.aspx 

Once you have brushed up, you should post some initial thoughts / outline of a plan to the General Discussion forum and tag is as "ultra" "ultrarunning" and "100k" so that you get input from the Team!

• Options

Evan, nice job making the transition to "ultra" guy. How are you guys feeling? You got one of the loooonggg runs in, nice work. Did you get a chance to look through some of the ultra running stuff?

• Options
    edited September 16, 2019 3:50AM

Getting caught up after a busy travel week.

First, I really appreciated your thoughts on my Placid 70.3 day. A few nuggets in there that resonated, most notably thinking in terms of three kinds of race days - good, bad, and ‘that was interesting’ (learning) 😊👍

Second, the transition to ultra seems to be going well. Even on days like today where we had to be flexible to get it all in (<- sidebar - I split the workout today and only just now uploaded the run file, so you wouldn’t have seen it yet). Pleased to say that, so far, we seem to be getting it all in.

Legs are feeling fatigued after the weekend workouts but otherwise surprisingly good. Given two identical workouts, I tried a mini experiment - ran Sat at perceived exertion TRP and Sun at a closely monitored HR TRP. Mostly I was curious about how the difference in approach would feel. PE was more or less on pace and felt easily sustainable for the duration of the workout, but 10-15 bpm higher than the HR target; running by HR was about 30-40 seconds slower but way easier, like cruising at 40 mph down the highway. Definitely easier to visualize doing the 100k on HR target, but curious to see how the training plays out. On both days, the changing temperature had about the same inverse effect on pace.

Haven’t had a chance yet to dive into the ultra resources but will get into that this week. In the interim, I have been compiling a list of questions as they occur to me/us.

• Options

@matt limbert

Good morning Matt!

Quick question for the workout today - looking at the breakdown, below (bolding mine). Is my math off? I'm tallying: 3 mile warmup + 6 X 1 mile repeats + 6 X 1/2 mile recoveries = 3+6+3 = ... 12 miles... in 1:15... did I get that right?

Run: Tempo Work

Total Run is between 6 and 10 miles. Choose Your Ability Level: 

-Level 1: 3 miles @ TRP (5:57 - 6:03 min/km), then 4 x 1 mile (1/2 mile recovery) @ Zone 3 (5:19 - 5:25 min/km)

-Level 2: 3 miles @ TRP (5:57 - 6:03 min/km), then 5 x 1 mile (1/2 mile recovery) @ Zone 3 (5:19 - 5:25 min/km)

-Level 3: 3 miles @ TRP (5:57 - 6:03 min/km), then 6 x 1 mile (1/2 mile recovery) @ Zone 3 (5:19 - 5:25 min/km)Remainder @ TRP (5:57 - 6:03 min/km).

Planned Time: 1:15:00

• Options

You got the math right! We tried to seek a couple extra miles by you! Nothing gets by you Canadians! Yeah, the level 3 workout is a bit longer :) You will repeat this kind of workout for the next couple of weeks, so this will set your baseline. We want it to be challenging, but not bury you. Keep it under control - we still have a few weeks to and lots of work to do. If you feel like 6 is going to dig too deep right now, don't worry - you'll get another chance next week and the week after that....

@Evan O'Regan

• Options

Got it - thanks!

Yeeaah, if you fail the mandatory math test in Canada they take all your maple syrup away - so we're motivated... 😊🇨🇦

@matt limbert

• Options

I love your Birthday book post on Facebook! I love stick figures. I want abs of steel and I want to rock a new medal. So, jealous.....

@Evan O'Regan @Lee Ann O'Regan

• Options

Evan, Nice work! You guys are getting all kinds of good long work in!

Did you check out Ultra 101? http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/UltraRunning.aspx

This would be great time to start a thread and get our WSM ultra members - Tim Cronk, Gabe Peterson, Tim Sullivan to comment on fueling and clothing choices for you race.

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Mont-Tremblant (2020-06-21) #70.3Tremblant_20
    • Ironman Mont Tremblant (2020-08-23) #IMMT_20
    • 10/31/2020 Javelina Jundred 100 miler (contemplated)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•  Last updated by Coach on November 12, 2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/16/2020
    • On 2/17/2020  Load the Swim Camp  to end on  3/1/2020
    • On 3/16/2020  Load the Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  4/26/2020
    • On 4/27/2020  Load the EN Half Bike Focused  to end on  6/21/2020
    • On 6/22/2020  Load the EN Full Bike Focused  to end on  8/23/2020
    • On 8/24/2020  Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on 9/6/2020
    • On 8/31/2020  Load the UltraRun Plan (16 wks) to end on  10/31/2020
    • On 11/1/2020  Load the Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks)  to end on  11/14/2020

Your Notes

Had a solid year 70.3 Tremblant, IMLP, 70.3 Placid, Javelina 100KJust coming off a two week recovery after Javelina 100k; feeling ready to train, itching to get into the outseason!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Evan O'Regan

OK man, time for us to connect back now that we know your races have been canceled for this year. As hard as the decision is to appreciate, deep down I believe it's the right call. Kudos to the leader ship on your side of the border for making an early and definitive decision.

While the race is gone, this does give us a chance to refocus as you mentioned. I think it's important for us to take a look at two specific elements: work we can do for your fitness, and the volume you can do for specificity.

The OutSeason® Bike Focus PLAN is a great go to resource. You'll get all the strength we need on the bike to build you into a better athlete and it will also "free up" your legs from just running alone. One of the fine lines that you need to walk is developing large scale aerobic capacity without damaging your running infrastructure.

As you push yourself on the bike workouts, give yourself permission to increase the running frequency over the first few weeks. Going from 5 to 6 or even seven runs a week will be a big change for you mentally, and should have some positive downstream effects as well. Just remember to start off well within your comfort zone.

You did ask about bonus work, I would suggest adding in some yoga or flexibility to your basic training. I know you've done this in the past in a class setting, but keeping it consistent program across your entire year thanks for the flexibility of our current daily lives could be a game changer for you. Maybe Monday and Fridays?

In terms of volume, you have options. From the LCs a program and the bike work you were doing, you will have the opportunity to go longer on the bike and you'll be able to handle it. At the same time, you do have some outstanding ultra run races that could potentially happen. Or at the very least, you could replicate that event on your own with minimal support. So let's call that an 80% change of "something" happening.

This is where I need to rely on you a little bit with regards to the running. Are you still committed to doing a longer run this fall? If so we can modify the and Susan to incorporate some longer runs every 3 to 4 weeks to continue the development of the long run fitness. Then we would eventually transition you out of the OutSeason program into some form of an ultra program. What do you think?

~ Coach P