Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ
Options

AT Kona "Race" Plan

Race in quotes because I'm doing this as an "event", not a race. It's my seventh time doing this, and only once was I satisfied with the outcome - the first time, in 2006, when I beat my qualifying time and actually set an IM marathon PR (subsequently bettered.) Since then: DNF, DNS, I forget (it was kind of a redemption after the DNS), 16:0X, 16:2X, last two with a lotta walking. Every other race I enter, I expect to (and almost always do) finish on the podium, in with a chance to win. Not here. Too much heat, wind, and top flight competition. Also, it will be my last time doing this thing, and I want to feel satisfied at the end. So: my number one goal is to run, every mile, walking 60 seconds/steps during each one (presumably at the aid stations, or 1/2 mi running/30 seconds walking. I've been practicing this the last two weeks.

The plan, therefore, is pretty simple. Even though I've done the requisite volume of training over the past four months, I'm counting on that to allow me to persist, not to race at the edge of my capacity. My biggest fear in 2006 was to "not blow up on the run", so I trained and raced towards that goal. This time around, it's more like "not blow out my knee on the run." The last two long distance triathlons I've done, in May and June of this year, produced so much swelling in my rickety right knee that I had to drastically back off after about 11-14 miles. Not fun, and I want to try and avoid that. So here's the strategy to get there:

Swim: Ironman has a little secret at this race, which is not wetsuit legal. If you are 70 or over, you can wear a wetsuit, and become an official finisher, but just not qualify for the podium. So I will wear Lava Pants - those Xterra neoprene "capris" which I train in all the time anyway. My last IM swims were about 1:23 in a wetsuit; last Kona swim was 1:44 without. So I'm shooting for 1:40.

Transitions: I want to total 20 minutes between the two, giving me time to gather myself, for a total of two hours swim/T1/T2.

Bike: Here is where the urge to race has to been chained up. I'm giving myself seven hours and 30 minutes to complete this. Best Bike Split says that I can go 6:40 @ an IF of 0.53; I just did a race rehearsal of 112 miles in 6:46 at altitude at an IF of 0.51. So why would I plan on 45 minutes longer? I want to be able to stop at an aid station now and then, stretch, make sure I get enough fluids, whatever, without feeling pressured to perform. This sounds a little incongruous, given how much I harangue people on this forum to "race", but remember, my whole goal is to have a run I can feel good about, so cut me come slack, OK?

Run: For the last year and a half, I've been running on borrowed time. My right knee has severe osteoarthritis, with minimal to no cartilege between the kneecap and the femur. It is chronically swollen as a result, and only gets worse when I run more than about 2.5 hours. So I've concluded I have to quit doing marathons/IMs, and am hoping I can use some smarts to go as slow as I need to to keep running to the end. Those smarts start with good nutrition (see below), and move through proper pacing, making sure to walk every mile to give the knee a bit of a rest. I'm going to use RPE and HR to find a pace that's lets me keep going past 2.5 hours. I think that HR is 111-117, and the pace will end up being 12:15-12:40 given the heat and my current training numbers. I was going 10:35 @ altitude the past two weeks, and am closer to 10:10 at sea level. I figure, add at least 90 sec/mile for the heat/humidity. So I'm allowing 5:30 to the marathon.

That adds up to 15 hours as my goal. Anything over that, I'll be increasingly dissatisfied with the outcome; anything under, I'll be increasingly happy with the result. That's a lot of time to be paying close attention to the process of swimming, biking, and running, as well as managing pace, nutrition, hydration, fatigue, etc. That's the half that's 90% mental.

Nutrition: I want to take in at least 2100 calories on the bike, about 300/hour I hope. Four bottles of Infinit @ 350 each = 1400; Two cliff bars (1/6th every half hour) @ 250 = 500/1900; 5 oz of EFS gel = 450/2350; and a small bag of trail mix (raisins, peanuts, almonds, M&Ms) at Special Foods @ 200/2550. Allowing for spillage, droppage, etc, that should get my 66 kg frame through the afternoon. I will be using either a BTA refillable bottle or a 50 oz racing (aero) Camelbak for extra water. The hardest part of this will be to get enough water through my gut into my blood stream. That's one of the reasons I'm allowing an extra 45 minutes to fool around at the aid stations - it's OK to stop, get water, Gatorade Endurance, pee, whatever I need to do to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Challenges: I will be starting at about 7:15, I believe, in the last men's wave. That, couple with my slow swim and bike, means I'll be dealing with the worst of the winds both going up to Hawi, and from Waikoloa to past the airport. I know exactly what that's like, having done it a few times before, which is another reason I'm giving myself 7 1/2 hours to finish the bike. The other significant challenge will be mental, simply maintaining focus and persistence throughout 26 x 12:30 minute miles. I absolutely know that I have more than enough cardiovascular and muscular fitness to do that. I just have to convince my knee that it will have to put up with it all, and that's another reason I'm allowing myself a 2+ min/mile discount over my usual training pace.

"Keep doin' it 'till you can't."

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

This is really funny @Al Truscott ! After qualifying again at Maryland I told Carol my goal at Kona is to be LAST in my age group! My old body is done so I'm going to "race" like the two 40 year old guys I saw walking and talking about this weekends football games! Good luck and ENJOY!!!

• Options

@Al Truscott I love that you are racing this one on your own terms. I also want to stand on the highway and count all the people you pass - then I want to add up the age differential. Go get 'em Al.

• Options

Can't wait to see you out there @Al Truscott . You've clearly earned this and I also love that it will be on your terms. And there's no doubt that you will crush the half that''s 90% mental! You can practice all of the Mental MoJo that you have showered on the rest of us over the last many years.

And if your knee really does hold up to your ~12:30/mi paces, you will still be faster than many out there!

• Options

Of course another wise race plan. Looking forward to meeting up with you again and to sharing the course. Next year for me will be to alter my lifestyle to long term health first and training for outcome goals second. See you on the big Island.

• Options

@Al Truscott You're an inspiration to Team EN. Hopefully you feel the energy of the many from the team that will be tracking you throughout the race.

I hope you have a great race and enjoy your day!

• Options

@Al Truscott You are going to have so much fun taking in all the things you have missed when 'racing". It takes courage and humility to do this on your terms. I think its great! Alii Drive will be so sweet.

Aloha ๐ŸŒบ

• Options

have a solid day.

glad you are able to do Kona one last time.

I am sure you will represent the Pacific Northwest well.

• Options

@Al Truscott Enjoy Kona one last time and have a great 'event'. Nutrition plan looks solid. I find that went I lower the IF, around .64 my stomach can handle additional calories but I don't typically race in heat like Kona.

• Options

@Al Truscott - I hope I am not underestimating the swim and bike course because I hope to finish those a lot faster but then proceed to walk 26.2 x 17 min/mile. If we both achieve our race plans, I will pass you on the bike course and you will pass me about 14 miles into the "run". One can only hope! I will be satisfied just to finish though.

• Options

@Paul Hough Since you intend to walk, not run, I think you can afford to push rthe bike a little harder than I will. You've also got ten years on me! So a 1:30 swim/6:30 bike, along with 15 minutes for transitions sounds like a good approximation for you IMO. The key thing, of course, is to end the day saying, "Well, I had fun." And I think you will get there, no problem.

• Options

Another masterful plan...what can I say, leading from the front no matter which way you are headed @Al Truscott

• Options

Al, sounds like you'll really enjoy the sights and sounds of Kona with a true "victory lap" race. Great plan, now the hardest part for a competitive athlete, like yourself, is to not toss your race plan aside on race day and compete. ๐Ÿ˜

Have a great race!

• Options

But @Al Truscott what if you find yourself on the โ€œcoulda beenโ€ podium?

• Options

@tim cronk You probably don't remember me talking with you about this very strategy (the wetsuit) four years ago (or was it five?) right after the Kona race. I said something like, "I'm waiting to do my next one here until I'm seventy, when I can use a wet suit. I'm just tired of floundering in the swell, waves and current. Not fun." I will have no regrets, no matter the outcome, as I will enjoy the swim, take it easy on the bike, and keep going on the run. Then collect my Gold Watch...

• Options

@Al Truscott you are the godfather of EN and triathlon. Madam Pele will shower her support and praise upon you for this final swim/bike/run into the sun.

• Options

@Al Truscott nothing to say but good luck. You inspire this team.

• Options

Have a great day!!