Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Jesse Saldana [TeamEN]

edited December 4, 2019 3:18PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• IRONMAN Kalmar (Sweden) on 15 August 2020

Your Notes

I have done 2 Ironman events but they were done about 10 years ago. I am currently 58 and decided to try another Ironman so signed up for IRONMAN Kalmar (Sweden) on 15 August 2020. I am a runner my nature but just getting back into shape as I have had some leg issues. I tend to keep my weekly run miles on the low side based on injuries in the past.

I am in good shape I would say as have been going to Orange Theory 1 hour classes where you run for about 20 minutes and then do core exercises. Also starting to bike on my trainer and running about 15 miles a week.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on November 3, 2019

• ✅ On 11/4/2019 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/1/2019
  • ✅ On 12/2/2019 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/29/2019
  • On 12/30/2019 Free Week / Repeat last week of Durability Plan
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • ✅ On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020
  • 🔲 On 4/13/2020 Load the  -- Swim Camp to end on 4/26/2020
  • 🔲 On 4/27/2020 Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 6/7/2020
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • 🔲 On 5/24/2020 Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 8/15/2020
  • 🔲 On 8/16/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/12/2020

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Coach,

I received the info but there is no sound on video noted. Thanks,

• Options

Disregard my last email as everything is good. By the why I was part of Inferno Triathlon with Rich when he joined you and then left.

• Options
    • What will make you consider this season a success? -
    • 1) Stay focused throughout the year
    • 2) Remain injury free.

• What's your biggest limiter right now?
    • 1) My biggest limiter is myself as I tend to lose focus and need to ensure that I stay on track
    • 2) Second biggest limiter is that I remain injury free for the Marathon. I have no issue with fittest for Swimming or Cycling as these parts but less stress on my legs but the running piece does and based on previous experience I need to be careful

• Options

@Jesse Saldana Thanks for scheduling a call for Fri. We can talk about whatever you want. Welcome. Super cool have you with us. I'm here to help make your first 30 days as awesome as possible. I'll show you how to get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, and learn more about how the team can help you get to your race goals. 

First thing! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when we respond in your Coach thread. See 8 sec video here to set it up: 

Next, get setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one or the other!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.) Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

To get the most out your training - you need that workout data (DONE!) and the story. Together, they give you (and us) the complete picture of your training. We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete. 

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It's super easy to make comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

Customize your workouts Final Surge

You will (or can) do a run test, then use your average heart rate during the test to set you customized workout zones.  Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones (there is a video here too): 

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is the live version of all things Endurance Nation. This is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. The forums are our long-term memory, these chats are Team right here, right now. 

Since you are beginning with the Run Durability program - consider joining the Run Group for accountability.

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible!

Talk with you Friday,

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

Matt, thanks for the call today.

• Options

@Jesse Saldana Welcome back as returning - old school member! Good talking with you. Glad to hear you are happy with your Season Roadmap for IM Sweden and familiar with Final Surge. Keep at it on Trainer road, but join any / all the GroupMe chats - including the Zwift and 24/7.

So for the ROKA discount:

You need to create a ROKA account. It will then ask you for the

Team Handle: EndurNat 

Team Passcode: 5042

If it doesn't. Log out of ROKA. Log back in and it should prompt you for the Team Handle and Team Passcode.

If you still have a problem - just call ROKA (877) 985-7652 and they are familiar with our handle and passcode. They are in Austin with hours M-F 9-8, Sat 9-5.

• Options

@Jesse Saldana Did you get the ROKA code stuff to work?

It was good to talk to you. We didn't cover your season success and limiters. I like how they are tied together. Can we talk more about them?

Can you tell me more about what you mean "Stay focused throughout the year?" What seems to distract you?

What is your injury history with running?

• Options

@Jesse Saldana - I had us down for a call today at 2pm. Left you a message. No need to reschedule if you think you are good since you have already spoken to Matt, but I am here for you if you need me. Just rebook.

• Options

Sorry Brenda,

I sent an email but looks like you did not get same. I am good as I had a great conversation with Matt last week. Believe we have an appointment at the end of the month before my free trial ends. Thanks,

• Options

@Jesse Saldana I saw you in the GroupMe and a couple of forum posts. Nice work. Did you ever get in on Discord and the Zwift ride?

• Options

Hey Matt,

Yes, I was able to join the team ride on Sat. I was able to get on Discord and was able to listen but for some reason could not get talk to work. Was a good workout.

• Options

Score. It is a good workout. You might get hooked.

• Options

@Jesse Saldana Did you get your Roka stuff? You might be able to ride with your Garmin indoors - just turn off the GPS. It should capture the ride and upload it like an outside ride. (Although it will post as a ride with time and data only - no distance.) Or you can sign up for a free Strava account. Zwift will upload to Strava and Strava will send it to Final Surge.

• Options

@Jesse Saldana This upcoming week starts your second block - Run Durability Phase 2!

• Options

@Jesse Saldana

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Master the Four Keys

Head over to watch our main Four Keys video on the Race Central page. While the Four Keys was originally created for triathlon, the lessons extend to all endurance sports (and beyond)!

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates To make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options

@Jesse Saldana

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN