Home Summer HIM Training 2012 Group Discussion - Summer HIM Training 2012
Options

Week of August 20

2»

Comments

• Options

Got in 5 hrs today.

At fiesta texas. Skipped work and training for the day and took my 6 yr old to the park for the day. Ready to tear it up tomorrow though.

Race rehearsal in the morning. Dont even have to get up before 6!

Last RR, I was way to easy on the bike and then ran he 6mi at a HR that would be totally unsustainable for 13.1mi. Basically, I took it easy on the ride then ran 6mi as fast as I could. In fact, I ended the last race rehearsal run over LTHR. 

Gonna try and be more focused this time. I know what my target watts are. I know what my HR limits are. For the first 3mi, Upper z2 hr max. For the next 3, upper z3. So 140's for the first half of the run and 150's for the second. No 160's ever.

• Options

RR went well. 55mi in 2:57. IF of .8 VI of 1.03. Run kept the HR below 150 this time. Avg HR 148 pace was 9:44.

But I felt fine at the end. Could have kept going. This is good news for me. I would like to get under 6 hrs in October in Austin. A 3 hr bike and a 2:10 13.1 should get me there with room to spare. And the course that I was on today had about 2x the climb of Austin. Looking good so far...

• Options
    Good job Jimmy... Always nice to have a confidence builder.
    @ Matt ... Nothing like moving to get in the way of solid training ... that's hard work! Why did you change?

This morning. Int'l tri (1/2 mi swim, 20 mi bike, 10K run) in 1:56:02 for 7th OA and 1st Masters. Yeah, it was a little race, cause most folks did the sprint. Not many want to go longer in August. Pretty breezy as we are already starting to feel the effects of soon to be Hurricane Isaac. That made the swim choppy with 2/3 into a current, then 1/3 back with the current. Long beach run back to transition. Half the 10K was on the beach, which takes a lot more energy. Hard part was training through this. I didn't have the pop to go out hard so worked my way into the race. Need to nap now and then ride some more today.
  • Options
    @Paul - nice job old man.
  • Options
    A few workout reports to catch up on. Moving house has been brutal and I've been lucky to even get in some workouts, let alone report out on them. Not having internet hooked up at the new place hasn't helped either! As to Paul's question, actually we just moved about 5 blocks from our prior house to a place that's a little bigger. No relo or other massive disruption to our lives…

Friday was a bust with two missed workouts – a 3000 yd swim AND 45' run.

Saturday I rode with Matt Ancona for 3:20 averaging NP 202 (0.793) then joined him for a 20' brick run. I felt pretty good, which shouldn't be surprising I guess since Friday was an off day.

And today (Sunday) I made the painful decision to give up my Sunday ABP ride for a swim. The vacation and moving has really disrupted my swimming…in the past two weeks I have done 3 swims: August 13 (2800 yd), August 17 (2400 yd), Aug 20 (1.5mi open water). So I really needed to get into the pool. I made it a good one and hammered out 4000yd structured as an endurance workout. Given my swimming situation I'm going to try to swim Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week, all endurance work. Hopefully that solidifies my fitness before the taper.

And implied in the above is I also made the decision to forgo racing in the Chicago tri today. It would have meant no workout on Friday or Saturday, then recovery on Monday and probably swim-only on Tuesday…all for a 2-hour race with 2 weeks to go before Vegas. It wouldn't have been smart. And also my capital on the homefront is not in a surplus so spending half a day for a 2 hour race was also a bad idea.

Saturday ride: overall 3:21:56 @ 202 watts, IF 0.793, TSS 213.0. Distance 67.80 miles, avg 20.1mph. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/215341062

20.5' – NP: 163 (IF 0.641), VI 1.11, HR 108/128, cad 78, 16.9mph
    18.5' – NP: 184 (IF 0.726), VI 1.06, HR 116/132, cad 83, 19.7mph
    47' – NP: 187 (IF 0.736), VI 1.08, HR 115/139, cad 84, 19.5mph
    19' – NP: 205 (IF 0.809), VI 1.08, HR 125/159, cad 86, 21.6mph
    20' – NP: 224 (IF 0.882), VI 1.04, HR 137/148, cad 91, 22.3mph
    17' – NP: 169 (IF 0.666), VI 1.10, HR 114/133, cad 79, 18.1mph
    8' – NP: 234 (IF 0.922), VI 1.02, HR 138/153, cad 90, 21.6mph
    10' – NP: 243 (IF 0.958), VI 1.04, HR 143/158, cad 95, 24.3mph
    33.5' – NP: 217 (IF 0.855), VI 1.14, HR 136/159, cad 89, 21.8mph

Saturday brick run: overall 3.34 in 22:51, 6:51 pace: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/215340286

Sunday swim: overall 4000 yd in 1:13:02, avg pace 1:36 (excl rest intervals), eff 38, 10.2 strokes/length. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/215340714

W/U 300: 1:39

MS:
    3x400(30) – 1:36, 1:37, 1:36
    50 easy – 1:35
    4x300(30) – 1:35, 1:35, 1:36, 1:37
    50 easy – 1:35
    5x200(30) – 1:35, 1:35, 1:36,1:35, 1:34

C/D 200 – 1:41
  • Options
    Hey Matt... Still a lot of work to move just 5 blocks!

Sat PM ... Took out the road bike for 40 miles JRA to loosen up the legs after my race. Had on and off rain starting at 15 miles up until 35 at which point it flat poured on me the rest of the way. Later on my upper left back was killing me. It was painful to sleep especially when I would turn over. I have no idea what caused it ... maybe swimming in the chop.

Sun AM ... Got up at 5am to get ready for another ride, but my back was still bad and I was dead tired. I had my cycling jersey on, had checked the weather and all then pulled the plug and got back in bed at 5:15. Woke up at 9am. Hit the trainer for 47 miles w 3x30mins Z3. That wiped me out but I managed to run 5 miles later. Big bike/tri week ahead...10 days of high volume before I give myself a few days easy for Vegas.
  • Options
    OK, do I have a shaggy dog story for you guys!

Theoretical plan: Saturday 7 am swim at the LCM pool, followed by 60 mi RR bike and 6 mi run; Sunday off. So much for theory.

Reality:

By Thursday, it was clear that Saturday was going to be rainy. I woke up at 6 am Saturday for the 7 am opening of the pool and saw on radar a huge storm to our west coming our way. Looked to be here by 7:30 or so. I really wanted to sleep some more, and that was a good excuse. Knew Sunday's weather would be better, so why swim and run in a thunderstorm.

Woke up again about 7:30. No rain. Turns out storm was disintigrating right before it got to us. Still would be raining all over the place for a run, but at least I could swim. Looked at the pool web site. Found out they cancelled early bird LCM swimming the night before. Grrrr. But there was hope... Lap swim at noon! The other two pools in town were simultaneously closed, so this was the only option.... Wouldn't you know, it started raining and the storm was coming back. But I said screw it I'm going to swim if there's no lightning... so I did. Can I just say that I HATE swimming the short way in our LCM pool? It's only about 22 yards wide! AAAAAaaaaack! So I'm swimming these stupid 22 yard laps next to some lady who's literally just lilting in the water. Not running. Not really jumping. Just lilting. This is the excuse they have for not letting us swim LCM???? Aaaaack! It rained, but I got in a ~3000 yard swim. Not sure why the Garmin isn't transmitting it...but it isn't. It was that kind of day.

So today... today was going to be my big RR bike/run. Got ready to go, and got out the bike, and boy was I feeling good! I had put on my aero wheels and I was rocking.

Until my chain fell off and I tried to be one step too clever in the way that I put it back on, and I ended up spinning my large chain ring (with no chain on it) into the back of my calf.

For anyone who has considered this course of action, I recommend against it.

At first I though I just had a little puncture or two (into my leg), but then I looked back as I was finally ready to go and saw that I had a >2 inch gash and it was deep enough to see the muscle capsule. OK, even though I was having this great day, and it didn't really hurt much, I knew my wife would kill me if I rode on, it got infected, and I died. So I called my wife and started riding home (at 25+ mph) and met her about half way. Total riding time about 70 minutes. Total irritation at myself much greater.

Went to the ER. They stitched me up, but not before complaining about all the black goo in my cut. I shot back but at least it was clean and straight.... Fortunately, they did not take away my novacaine for being snarky. Got my stitches and an order not to swim today or tomorrow, but otherwise, I could go. They confirmed that I had gotten right up to the muscle capsule but not gotten into it. (Whew!)

Went home. Still irritated.

Had two hours left before The Next Thing, so I said screw it and went for another hour's ride on the bike on my 1 hour route that usually takes 61 minutes and my world record was just under 58. With my aero wheels, I did it in under 55, averaging 22.8 door to door including stop signs. NP was 211 (FTP 245). OK, so not completely normal RR, but it made me feel better.

Went out for my run. By now it was ~87 degrees. I've decided that given the heat and hills, I'm going to run the LV course by HR with pace as a secondary indicator, instead of the other way around...and I'm playing with getting the HR right. I think I can hold mid Z3...anyway, this was supposed to help gauge that, and I was in the 150s most of the time...hills higher, etc. At some point, if you look at my file, you'll see the HR go crazy because the strap started slipping down, which sometimes happens on hot days (maybe a little dehydration?) But I felt like I knew what I was doing , so I didn't fuss with it too much. Ended up pretty much hugging around 7:10ish pace after a little warmup and adjusting a little for geography of hills and such.

OK... so was it a good RR? Lord, no. Was it good for the confidence? Yeah, probably so. Was it good for the ER? Sure...easy job and a quick payday. :-)

Today's rides: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/215501995 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/215501999
    Today's run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/215502004
  • Options
    @William - wow. pool swim in the rain. stitches. then a bike pr and a run AFTER the trip to the ER. We really do rub right up against the line between determined and compulsive.
    Congrats man. Good work.
    On a side note, if I am reading between the lines you are looking for 150's HR on the run which should translate into low 7's. Is that right?
  • Options
    @Wm- Glad the bike didn't get you worse! And def. bonus on the confidence!

Rev3 Maine Half complete. Full race report posted but short version: 7:39 total (17 min. improvement vs. Timberman last year) Very please w/ swim and bike... "Boogered" the run but don't know how. http://members.endurancenation.us/T...fault.aspx
  • Options
    @ William, stitches in the leg and still you bike for an hour and run. Man, that's hardcore. For me, I think an ER trip gets me the rest of the day off!
  • Options
    @ Kim, congrats on the finish, I'll comment on your report in that thread.
  • Options
    @Jimmy Yeah, my HIM run PR is 91:xx minutes, i.e., almost exactly 7 min miles, but that was a flat course in only moderate heat. I'm probably in just about as good shape as that, but the race Matt and Paul and I are doing in a couple weeks is all up and downhill and will be hot. That will make racing by pace tough. Unfortunately, unlike Matt, I am not nearly as good at dealing with heat, so I'm trying to come up with a rational alternative for pacing.

At KS (also very hot...ridiculously so, in fact, and humid), I paced by RPE, knowing what it feels like to run a HIM...but that course is pretty flat, so I didn't want to just leave it at that for the upcoming one... trying to be sensible.