Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Jogging Stroller

I searched the 3.0 forums, but I don't have Nemo's Search Fu and couldn't find much as far as reviews of jogging strollers.

We are more looking for a stroller we can use everyday instead of an actual running stroller.  The reality is it will probably be used much more to walk around on neighbor hood, go to parks, spectate at races, etc.  However, I would also like the option of being able to go for a jog every once in a while with it, and Theresa may even jog a little with it or do a 5k fun run. 

Currently we like the Baby Jogger City Elite the most.  Mainly because it seems like a great everyday strollor, folds super easy, and can be used for some jogging with real wheels and shocks.  Plus all the reviews I have read are very good, and I've talked to a few people that love theirs.

We also spent a while look at the Bob's and if I was planning on actually running with it more, we would go with the Bob, however the Baby Jogger just seems like a better everyday stroller.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share?

Comments

• Options

As you noted and for us, the fixed front wheel of the B.O.B. was way easier to run with than one with a swivel front wheel.  The fixed wheel required far less focus on keeping it straight. 

However, when walking while shopping, etc. a swivel front wheel would have been nice.  Wouldn't need to lift the front to make turns.   

If you can find one that is a swivel that also locks the front wheel straight I think you woud be golden.  Or, buy one of each on Craigslist. 

John

• Options

The BOB revolution has a swiveling front wheel you can lock when you want to run.  I've had one (double), and found it very easy to run with.  My wife never runs with it, but takes it as the go-to stroller whenever she's going to be somewhere where we either need to contain my son, or have a place to sit for my daughter.  Very versatile. If I had it to do over again, I'd have started with the BOB.

If you do consider a BOB and don't have luck on a craigslist-type site, REI usually has a 20% off coupon that comes out in the March timeframe, and it's valid for the BOB, which adds up to a pretty substantial savings.

Mike

• Options

Matt - We have the Cougar Chariot 2 and we absolutely love it.  The Chariot comes in two flavors, 1 seat or 2 seats. Although it isn't cheap, if you are going to be really active with the kiddos it's a great way to go.  I comes as a jogger, but there are attachments that can be purchased so you can do more with it.  We purchased the bike trailer attachment and we also have the ski attachment too.  The rear wheels are replaced with skis and it has a backpack style waist strap, with ploes that connect to the chasis, so you can ski/snowshoe/hike with the kids.  The kids love it and the cousins "conveniently" get tired and need a ride while hiking/skiing.  It's comfortable for the kids, has great wind/rain protection, lots of storage and handles great.

Here's a link:

www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Goo...t%20Cougar

• Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. The Baby Jogger has a locking front wheel, we tested it both swivaling and locked and seemed to work well both ways.

Hmm...we can definitely wait until March and see if REI has 20% again...
  • Options

Don't know if the baby jogger has the feature, but the reason we landed on the BOB was that you can get a bar attachment for it which allows you to clip in an infant car seat (like the Graco travel system one we had), which meant we could use it as a basic stroller pretty much from day 1.

Of course, we've had darn near every stroller ever manufactured, so I'm probably not the model to follow .

Mike

• Options
    I have the Summit 360 Jogger fom the same company as the one you mentioned. I honestly cant speak to runnig with it yet. It does have the add on michael mentioned that makes it a baby seat. My wife has used it for 4 months now and loves it. She used it from day one with the car carrier add on. She transfers the baby carrier to the car, pulls the pull tab and throws it in the car. Its a great. I am waiting till hes big enough to sit in it with out the carrier to use it as an actual jogging stroller.
  • Options
    B.O.B. Revolution is the best. We have a double-wide. It's indestructible and its swiveling front wheel will lock if you want some stability on runs. Even has a knob to true the front wheel if you feel the stroller is pulling to one side or the other. Great shocks as well. As a city runner, shocks came in handy trying to bunny hop curbs. Twins loved that move!!!
  • Options

If you really want to run I can't say enough good things about the performance baby jogger with the 20 inch wheels.  19:19 with the double is my best for a 5k.  Bet you could go sub 18 with the single.  My friend Kyle has gone 18:20 with once kid in a BOB.  Wonder what the jogging stroller world record is?  Hmmmmmmm

• Options
    I'm throwing my vote in for the BOB revolution. We got ours (as a joint christmas gift from both sets of grandparents) and used it immediately. As Mike said, the bar with the clip for the infant seat is a great feature. Also, having the option to swivel the front wheel or lock it out is also awesome. It's also super easy to fold and unfold (I've done it one handed while holding Abby in the other hand) and light. I can lift it easily into my van or my husband's pick-up. And Abby loves it. She's gone on 9 mile runs with me, and usually falls asleep. The shocks are a great thing too...our path along the erie canal is bumpy and doesn't bother her a bit. My husband takes it to all the races in all kind of terrain.

Geesh, I should be an infomercial! ;0)! Just really like my BOB!

As far as craigslist goes, my friends found a brand new one there. Don't know how much they paid.
  • Options

Good point, Dana!  My kids both fell asleep and were super-comfortable in the double Bob Revolution during a 15 mile training run while I was building up to Disney last year.  Great experience, being able to do that!

Mike

• Options

We have the BOB double stroller and love it.  Only down side is manoevering through store aisles etc, but I'm sure the single BOB revolution would be fine in the store aisles.

Fraser

• Options

Matt,

I'm not sure of the brand that we used, but I can assure you my wife did some extensive research before picking it.  I found it to be very functional.  The front has two interchangeable wheels.  The first is a regular jogger wheel, the other is a dual rotating wheel.  You basically get the best of all worlds.  You can run with it, use it in parks, beaches, trails, etc and with the dual wheels it is maneuverable to take inside.  If you are interested in a used stroller I can check with my wife on how much she wants for it.  This one is a double-wide too.

• Options
    Oh, I was thinking about this thread the other day while I was driving...the BOB also comes with a "weather shield" and a "sun shield" and a "warm cozy" (of course, sold separately). We use the weather shield a lot...it goes right over the stroller and is vented. Also very handy!

Here's the BOB website with pics of their accessories:
    http://www.bobgear.com/accessories/access_strollers.php