Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Running Dog ???

I'm  looking at getting a running partner since virtually no one near me in my town runs or I think even exercises.  I know quite a few in the haus have dogs that they run with and was taking any input on which breed is good, how to train them, or do i get one already trained, etc... for picking a partner.  I've been looking at a couple of Ridgebacks but have heard of a few other breeds that are great dogs to run with and train to do so. (Vislas)

Thanks for any of those dog lovers that have the knowledge I need going in.

Comments

• Options

HI Trent -

I actually train dogs for a living (hunting dogs) and breed Labradors - so I know a little bit about it . First question though is what will the dog do when it is not running with you? Are you going to be running on trails or on roads? On leash or off? Dogs that make great running partners don't always make great dogs for hanging around by themselves the rest of the day. Think along the lines of dogs that are bred to run long distances at a steady clip, if you live in a cooler climate a Huskie is a great choice. Bird dogs - as in - Pointers, and Setters, Viszlas and I can't remember the other ones right now - the redder version, have good natual frame size and running ability and are bred for endurance, but can be more independent. Contrary to popular belief Labs are actually not the best running partners from a conformation standpoint, especially the heavier framed show types. Sadly Labs in general are prone to hip and elbow problems and you have to be really careful screening the health clearances of the parents and make sure to let them physically mature before starting to run w/ them. Labs are really water dogs and not meant for a lot of miles, but shorter sprints (think - go get that bird that fell 50 yards away and come back and then rest) and A LOT of swimming! So if you wanted a swimming partner I would say - get a Labrador!

That said, a lot of people do run w/ their Labs and they are hard to beat on personality. If you go that route just try to find one of the lighter framed types and stay away from the show bred dogs. I know several people that have had good luck w/ their Border Collies and one friend has a Basenji mix that is awesome. Depending on if you want a puppy or older dog finding a good mix is always great option and sometimes you can give a dog that really needs it a good home. Hope this helps.

Robin

• Options

Ohhhh, so exciting! You need a working dog, or other high-energy buddy! I just got a Lab in July, and at 8.5 months, she can easily run with me. I keep it short for now since she's a young dog. We run on trails. When we go together and she has her running "job" to do, her ears are back, the tail is out, and she is traveling with me, her pack leader. When we run (although she's barely trotting), she's not in sniffing or in tracking mode, but traveling and migrating like canines do in the wild. She looks at me all proud, and no one can tell me that dog is not happy. I LOVE having her with me. Like Robin says, Cali is from a "field Lab" line. She's lighter and leaner. Definitely don't get the "English" Lab--show dog. I can't see them going very far at all. (More later when you get a dog about teaching him/her to not take you out by cutting in front, etc.) For the record, I can see her going up to 30-45' with me as an adult. I doubt I would every run longer with her than that.

Personally, I LOVE Labradors. Smart, energetic, loyal, and very friendly. Incredible chewers as puppies, however. According to Animal Planet THE mouthiest puppy. But once you get past that, what a wonderful dog.

I was also very interested in the Viszla--gorgeous dogs that would suit me too. But from what I gathered, their exercise needs are prodigious. Same with the Rhodesian Ridgeback--but what a stunner! Ridgebacks also have a tendency to run after small game from what I've been told.  was prepared to commit to keeping a dog active, but maybe not to the degree those two breeds required.

Other options would be some herding breeds--although they like to herd everything! But they are active runners--Border Collie (rated #1 smartest dog), or an Australian Shepherd. German Shepherds (GSD) also run well. They are one of my favorite breeds--but only the REAL East German line working dogs. GSDs are the only breed I would get from a breeder, rather than a rescue. But you need the workling line--superb dogs. It's the American GSDs--the show lines--that have given the breed the bad bite rap. Golden Reteivers can run--but be careful here. Most people don't know it, but they are in the top 5 breeds that bite. They got too popular, too much bad breeding, and there are bite lines with that breed. I would check the lines of the GR to the nth before I got one. One of my other favorite breeds is the Belgian Malinois.

Sled dogs--Huskies may drive you mad! They can run, but the breed often just runs away. You'll have to keep that breed on a leash virtually all the time. Not sure about Alaskan Malamutes--another sled dog. I adore Samoyeds--very active, loyal and beautiful.

Setters and spaniels are good choices. I had an Irish setter for many years--nice dog. I've always been partial to English setters--I think they're beautiful.

Have to put in the plug for the shleter dogs. You can get a good mixed breed from a shelter that has a lot of a runner breed in them--it's pretty easy to tell a dog that's a major Lab mix, for instance. There are also Lab rescues--virtually every breed dog has rescue groups. There are 4 million cats and dogs in shelters, and half are euthanize through no fault of their own. Cali, my dog, is a Lab breed rescue. Every nose needs a home.

What you don't want is a brachycephalic dog--boxer, bulldog--anything with a pushed-in face. They can't run for any length of time.

Things to consider:

Just how active a dog do you want? Labs need their exercise, but learn to then chill out. Border Collies, OTOH, can be nutz pretty much all the time.

Size? My friend's Jack Russell can run with her all day and seemingly want more. Yippy, and not my favorite breed.

Grooming--short-coated dogs like Labs and Ridgebacks require next to nothing in the grooming department.

Enough!   I LOVE dogs, and worked for a kennel for many years. Learned a lot. I also did a ton of research before I got Cali. Finally got her after many years without one. Best thing ever! If you every want to talk dogs, I'm your girl!

• Options

Definitely get a rescue, just be prepared to have to potentially work through some issues. Sonny was a handful with serious separation anxiety but we worked it out.

Having relentless running partners is the best. My doodes are like the Terminator -- they want to run and they will NOT stop bugging the shit out of you until you run them, or at least take them for a walk. Linda, Sonny runs like Cali but sometimes I just want to dropkick Riley. The freak is bored at anything slower than about 7' pace, which I can't touch right now, and his head is on a swivel as he looks for cats, dogs, squirrels and anything else he should be looking at. Only time I've let him run with me off the leash was when I was riding a dirtbike in the desert and he has to keep up at 20mph .

Seriously, I'd go with a rescue dog, good runners build and under 40lb.

• Options

I just got back from a run w/ my Ridgeback so I'll chime in.  I won't knock other breeds either even a good old athletic mutt would make a great running partner.  My ridgeback is a complete lazy ass around the house.  As long as he has a soft warm spot to lay in he couldn't be happier around the house.  They do have tendency to chase not only small game but big game (deer around here) as well.  Mine is pretty well trained meaning if he takes off after a deer or turkey I can stop him w/ just voice.  There are other RR owners on EN as well.  I'm sure you'll get quite a bit of feedback on this one.  

• Options
    I have a yellow Lab that we've been running, riding (mountain bike), and hiking with. He's turning 11 years old this year. He has a decent temperment and is trained to run right next to us on leash (no running ahead, pulling, sniffing, and definitely NO cutting in front) and will come right back to me when I call when off-leash. Up until last year he could keep up with my DH on the run and his long outings are now only 1.5 hours (instead of 3-4 hours on the mtb). When he's home after the workout, he's asleep. Overall, just a wonderful and happy training buddy!
  • Options
    Greyhound rescue?
  • Options
    I just recently did the same thing. I bought a springer spaniel. He is ridiculously smart and a great running buddy.
  • Options

WOW thanks all for the suggestions and help.  I've got to get a few of the questions presented answered then decide.  I may have a few more questions for Robin and Linda though after I check out a couple of RR rescue dogs and one Vizsla rescue I've found in the area up for adoption.

My biggest issue is timing on getting the dog when I know I'll have time to train him.  I'm not worried about the attention the dog will get when I'm off to work with the wife (although not exactly thrilled with the idea) and kiddos around to give needed attention, but I'll be responsible for the training etc...  Just wondered how long they usually take till they are "getting it" with the training etc....

• Options

We just finished running 4 Saturday casual races, this was #2, a 10k.

oh my goodness, I have blathered on and on about Rudy (in women's forum and Jan OS), my Irish Setter pup that my college son has now "lent me"...  He was born in May and for the last 5 weeks we go out every morning...  so far he has heeled 8 miles.. and follows my tng schedule!! = only one long run per week!  he could run longer as he wasn't tired.  if you google irish setter and even Animal planet website has good info and videos etc....well he has a great personality, so great family dog, not a defender though, bit but not burly, beautiful coat that yes you could take to the groomers, does shed but seems to be manageable. he was the runt and right now comes up to my hip!  He is stubborn though and likes to pout and pretends he doesn't hear me until I get out the cheese and lure him!!  I go to obedience classes, yes for me and he comes with me!!!  no kidding, he is great and I love him!!  right now he has dug up every flower bed I have so I have cut up rosebushes and put back in them.. so having a dog is a lot of trouble, not as much as a kid, but right on up there.    I find I talk about him all the time so now I have to tell myself not to!!!  He runs every day and does well with his behaviour and mood if he can get in 4 - 6 miles per day.  He can do 3, but probably needs a walk or something later on.. but like the 10k we did on Saturday???  why he was laid on his pillow the rest of the day!!  now he had to heel that whole time so more work for him....  and me!!  so an Irish setter is also a choice for you.  He has run in 9 degrees and was impervious to the cold and I haven't had him in the summer to know about the heat yet, but I guess I could shave him but I think he will lose some of his winter coat.  and oh, not sure if you are single or not....?  but a total chick magnet!!  my son would get so many people come up to him "what a pretty dog, what kind is it???' as not too many of them do you see apparently.  so if you not single (and I am not!) then a real conversation opener... so if you are friendly and this breed seems to be too, why it is just great!!  and if you are shy, why the dog will be friendly for you.. you can't finish a run and see people in the parking lot without somebody making a comment about the dog "such a beauty, what kind?"  

Rudy, I was freezing with 9 degrees and wind but he wasn't!!

*edit, I just got back with Rudy.  he could probably do a minimum of 3 miles per day and on my rest days, I let him off leash to run free and get his miles in!!!  and on rainy days, much like kids, he needs to burn off energy or he will be hyper.  so the breed got a bad name for being hyper but it all depends on whether or not you take him out!!  so access to open fields and the like I would think is best for this breed.  or some such.  trips to Petsmart on those rainy days.  I bet I spend one hour with him in the mornings.. and then not sure the time involved the rest of the day but like a kids, I have already spent $400 on him in the last 5 weeks!!  classes, food and gear!!  haven't been to vet or paid the $40 - 60 grooming either!!  so $$ is a factor for puppy.  he does chill out in the sun too.. and like a kid cuz he is a pup I gotta know what he is doing all day long or I put him in his kennel!  either a kid has their eyes on him or I do.  and he follows me around so this breed needs people interaction.  don't expect to ignore him, they are not independent dogs....  m  he is tall enough to lick the stuff from the stove or counter!!  and I have never had a large dog, but little ones.. so all new for me, but I have never had a dog to run with so that part of knowing this his mileage has not been tested is gonna be great as probably 90% of my runs are by myself.  plus he is way funny.  m

• Options

Ridgebacks are great dogs.  They are sight hounds and were original breed to hunt lions.  They can run all day if needed but can be happy with a warm spot in the sun.  They are a bit hard to train being smart and stubborn they tend to need a strong consistant owner.  My first RR was my dog when I got married he tolerated my wife and would listen to her but he was my dog.  I had him trained to run off leash in my neighborhood and he would do really well.  I would need to talk to him a lot to keep him from going after other interesting things like cats.  My currrent RR I have never trained to run with me.  He sufferred a broken paw as a young dog and has TI pins in his foot.  He is now 11 and prefers to sleep eat and do laps in the yard for about 2 minutes at a time prior to coming over for a scratch.

If you get a puppy you will need to keep in mind that bigger dogs need to mature before they go for longer runs.  Good luck!

• Options

Hi Trent,

"Attention" at home is different than training, as you know. An untrained little puppy  doesn't always mean a pleasant experience for the human side. image Training a dog, IMO, is a huge factor in having a great family pet. If you get a puppy, make no mistake, it will be a TON of work for your wife. An active breed puppy needs almost constant supervision, walking and play, tons of potty outings (including in the night for the little puppies). Your wife will end up having to work on training too during the hours of the day you are not around. It needs to be consistent and ongoing--not every minute of the day, but there are certain behaviors that need to be dealt with no matter who is handling the dog. But it's fun, and she may end up liking it. If you get a puppy, you must crate train it to save yourselves from going mad. We can help you with that if you do go ahead and get the dog.

Re how long it takes? That depends. First you are dealing with canine, then the breed traits, then the individual personality of your dog. Cali is smart, willing, and from a breed that is compliant and aims to please. Headstrong breeds--RR, Huskies, and the like--can take more time and handling. It is a lot of work to do it right. We have spent a boat load of time working on training things from day one. From 10 weeks to ~6months were rough. The chewing, the puppy energy, the basic training was tiring. Now at 8.5 months, she is starting to be the kind of dog we want.

We are shooting for a highly-trained dog. I think very trained dogs are easier to live with, and ultimately happier. Take a look at my trainer working with his dog. While I have no interest in competing with Cali, this is the kind of focus and obedience I'm shooting for. This training is done mostly through games and play--she loves it. My trainer and I use a lot of the training principles at Leerburg Dog Training . I have his "Puppy to 8 Months" video I can rip for you if you want. I suggest you watch it even before you get the dog.

After the basics of  sit, down, stay, come, etc. the next level that I'm workin on is:

1. Compliance at the first command. Sit mean sit--the first time. No walking around first.

2. Sit/Down stay. Don't move no matter what until I release.  We're up to 4 minutes, and I'll get to 15'.

3. Loose leash walking/heeling. Sounds easy. It's very hard. This takes TIME and patience. She pulled like a sled dog. We're still not there entirely. But she is perfect when we run. The quicker pace gets her in traveling rather than tracking mode, and it comes together beautifully. There are training collars/harnesses to help with this, which we can tell you about later.

4. Come. I want this bomb proof. I want her, no matter what the distraction, to turn on a dime and come back to me. It could save her life. This is a work in progress, but 100% better than it was.

5. Running down command. When she is in drive, and we are playing, I want her to down when I tell her to. Right there, right on cue. It's a way to keep her out of trouble, and settle her out if she is getting too feisty.

I'm no expert, but I do have some experience, am committed, and I stay educated. I love training my dog, and while it is a lot of work, it's fun, and super gratifying.

OK, I'll stop now. image

• Options

My running buddy died a few years back, but chiming in just the same. I chose an approximately 1 year old dog from the shelter. Listed as a lab mix but she was about 45 lbs. At the time I only worked 3 or 4 nights per week, so very easy to train.

1. Immediately started taking her to Petsmart Obedience class. Did the homework EVERY DAY, EVERY WEEK. Consistency was KEY.

2. As she was already fairly mature, I was able to start running with her on leash almost immediately.

3. We did A LOT of trail running and dog park. As she wanted to be with the leader, like Linda's Cali, she'd stay with me during the run. Only dashing off to the creek for a quick swim or slurp (although I did have water for her). In the dog park, we worked on her coming to me even if another dog was more interesting. Also when another runner was approaching in the opposite direction, I would stop and heel her so that they would know she was not a threat. Trail runs were 1-1.5 hrs. We did stop to rest and enjoy the creeks.

4. Once she was consistently off lead, heeling perfectly, and always responding to command I was extremely proud of her. But as Ralph mentioned- sometimes I had to talk to her non stop when she would spy a cat or squirrel and want to give chase.

You can't imagine the compliments I received as to how well behaved she was around children and other animals. But her training never really ended, it just changed as we moved state to state. Leash law, no leash law, whatever.

These days I am without a furry running buddy as I work 5 days a week and they would be alone for 10 hours per day. Not fair to them. But I miss having a dog

• Options

Hi Again,

I just remember that Dogs 101 on Animal Planet featured both the RR and the Viszla--along with loads of others. Here's the link. Scroll down the page and you'll see all the video clips. They are shortened versions of what was shown on TV, but enough there to give yo uthe flavor. Watch the Lab one too. image

• Options

LP-- thanks a bunch for all the info and vids.  You've got me totally psyched now about getting a dog.  My only problem is I want one NOW to go running with but if I get the cute little puppy now its a minimum probably of 6 to 8 months before can run together, yet at the same time kinda cool to personally train the dog frrom infant and he only knows you as the master. 

As I push further and get the clearance from the tower (she is coming around and loves puppies) I will probably get in touch with you on some advice as to obedience training (from outside source or trainers) and the like if that is OK with you.

I'm leaning toward the Viszla as the wife likes the idea of no grooming virtually and no smell like a dog.  Yes she is a clean freak and it is a bonus to not have the dog smell in the house.(we've never had an inside pet ever)  I'm also prepared to give the dog the needed exersice and will be nice that i have a companion that doesn't think I'm crazy for all the exercise I do

• Options

Be in touch any time. In case you didn't notice, I don't mind the dog talk. image

• Options

Hey Trent - I'll try to add acouple of new points, as you've had a lot of input already.  We have 2 Weimaraners - close cousin of the Viszla, a bit bigger, but similar energy and intelligence. My wife just had them out for 9.5 miles this AM - 2 x 65 pound balls of muscle with a 110 pound gal training for her first half-mary. They are very trainable! We use a pinch collar (some purists would say that it is mean, but it only comes in play if they decide to dart, or if we need to correct their direction for oncoming cyclists or cars!

Our newest is a 2-year old we rescued this summer, so it is possible to get a dog that is physically ready to run ... just depends on the individual personality and leash "ettiquette."  We are lucky, as she came from a divorce (versus abuse or other.) Since we had Weimaraners already, they were very excited to match us up! Our other is a 5-year old we got as a pup. We didn't run with her till she was 2 years old, based on word of mouth advice for running risks on the developing muscles and structure of dogs.

Good luck with the search!!

• Options

This is Dazy the jacked up german shorthaired pointer. She's two and does pretty much all my runs with me, on the road and off leash on trails.  She is also a great mountain bike partner, and XC ski dog.  I need to run with her every other day or else she goes nuts with unspent energy.  It's a great motivator to get out the door.  I do threshold runs and she is barely working.  This is my first GSP (labs my whole life) and she is super affectionate and easy to train.

• Options
    Posted By Robin Cline on 17 Jan 2010 07:02 PM

HI Trent -

I actually train dogs for a living (hunting dogs) and breed Labradors - so I know a little bit about it . First question though is what will the dog do when it is not running with you? Are you going to be running on trails or on roads? On leash or off? Dogs that make great running partners don't always make great dogs for hanging around by themselves the rest of the day. Think along the lines of dogs that are bred to run long distances at a steady clip, if you live in a cooler climate a Huskie is a great choice. Bird dogs - as in - Pointers, and Setters, Viszlas and I can't remember the other ones right now - the redder version, have good natual frame size and running ability and are bred for endurance, but can be more independent. Contrary to popular belief Labs are actually not the best running partners from a conformation standpoint, especially the heavier framed show types. Sadly Labs in general are prone to hip and elbow problems and you have to be really careful screening the health clearances of the parents and make sure to let them physically mature before starting to run w/ them. Labs are really water dogs and not meant for a lot of miles, but shorter sprints (think - go get that bird that fell 50 yards away and come back and then rest) and A LOT of swimming! So if you wanted a swimming partner I would say - get a Labrador!

That said, a lot of people do run w/ their Labs and they are hard to beat on personality. If you go that route just try to find one of the lighter framed types and stay away from the show bred dogs. I know several people that have had good luck w/ their Border Collies and one friend has a Basenji mix that is awesome. Depending on if you want a puppy or older dog finding a good mix is always great option and sometimes you can give a dog that really needs it a good home. Hope this helps.

Robin

I can't say enough good things about Labs.  But as running partners, I'm not so sure (so I appreciate Robin's input).  The best dog I ever had was a Lab (and I'm 60, and I've always had a dog).  She passed away at 12 1/2 a couple of years ago, and had significant orthapedic problems - and a couple of big sugeries.  I always wondered if that was all bad breeding (bought her before I knew how to check out a breeder, etc.), or if some of it was the running when she was younger.  As Robin says - can't beat a Lab's personality, and they love to swim - but I'm not so sure about running - but I'll still get another Lab because they are so much fun. 

• Options
    Yes I also like the Viszla and went to dog shows in the Chicago area to check them out...! we used to live there. oh yeah the Irish Setter, brings in dead grass, constantly sweeping, sheds a bit so needs daily brushing, smells like a dog so he showers with me 1 x 2 weeks since it is cold here... and then I smell like flea shampoo... LOL, gets mud in his feet and soaking wet on underbelly if he is tromping thru the woods so my element car windows have slobber on them and now my patio doors. My flower beds are dug up, and i have bits of bones around the house. oh, and when he was a pup he had fleas!! m
  • Options

Peter- Your girl is gorgeous!! Our neighbors have a GSP and he is THE  most energetic dog!!  I  love to watch him run.

Linda- Is Michael Ellis actually your dog trainer? Wow, just incredible focus from the dog!

• Options
    Posted By Gina Hamel on 19 Jan 2010 08:26 AM

Linda- Is Michael Ellis actually your dog trainer? Wow, just incredible focus from the dog!

@Gina--I use a local protege of Michael's named Scott Dunmore. Michael, unfortunately is in CA, but I will go to his Boston seminar next year. I totally subscribe to the way ME trains, and it's the kind of work we are doing with Cali--such as it is with an 8 month puppy. But she's getting there--her focus on me is really excellent--most of the time. . The training is incredibly effective, yet all pretty much  "game" based with little coercion, but with corrections. We play, she learns, it's fun. We are training obedience as you would need for Mondio Ring or Schutzund competition, but have no interest in competing. (I mean, really, a Lab in a Schutzund trial????) That type of training suits her level of drive and temperment much more than obedience class. Scott's dog Dilly in that video--that's what I'm ultimately shooting for in terms of focus and obedience. Cool, huh? Check your PM.  

• Options

OK we think it is a go.  With much research no real rescue near us to go check out yet.  But if I go with the pup how do I know for sure it is a good breed?

• Options

I second Rich, go with a rescue.  I got a great Golden Retriever from a store-front, no-kill shelter and he is awesome

This is Murphy, he likes to run, loves to swim and wants to go everywhere. There is great reward in a rescue dog.

• Options

Looks like the NYT is reading our EN forum  The article is here:

tom