Home General Training Discussions
Options

How cold can you go

So was just curious...if I am wimping out unnecessarily...How cold/What kinda temps are you riding  outside in?  What are you wearing?  and are you doing quality work or JRA?

I was ok in the mid 40's...recently though we have been in the 30's and I simply have bagged going outside...but then this morning I saw a few guys bike commuting in the AM...it was like 30 outside?....but they were pretty bundled and not "doing a workout"

Is it worth doing some outside riding just for saddle time and endurance at this point of the year...or skip it and stick inside with the Work?

Would you have the same answer if you had an early season IM (May)...and thought you might not get outside again until April?

Comments

• Options

Up until I stopped going to work 4 days a week (now its about 5/month), I would regularly bike commute 10 miles each way in almost all weather. My IF for that was about 65-70%, so I was not doing intervals or long steady state (too worried about not being a traffic statistic). But my mantra was:

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing"

Although snow or ice on the road surface would keep me in my car. Of note, I was doing the commuting on my standard road bike with 23c tires, with fenders and a rear rack added - it's actually more like a cross bike with wide space between the stays for fenders.

As to doing the VO2 or FTP workouts outside, I'd say, not in the rain or sub-freezing, otherwise, just dress properly and find a safe place.

• Options
    Low to mid 50's for me. Just not fun when cold. I'm doing IMTX too and staying inside until its warm.
  • Options

The coldest I've gone cycling is probably the mid-30s for a group ride.  I refuse to go if ice, or snow, as I like my bones to not be broken.  

Last year, I had big plans to cycle to work, but only ended up cycling in to work one time due to time and training constraints.  Besides, I was getting better workous on the trainer during the week so I went with it.  Also, the courses of home ot gym, and gym to work are not very bike friendly.

• Options
    I'll ride outside into the 30s and run into the 10s. Just like everyone else though, some days I make every excuse to stay inside!
  • Options
    Mid thirties for the bike here. This morning it was a whopping -25 F in Saranac Lake Lake Placid area where I started my day...Yeah, no running in that today image
  • Options

If it is dry outside, mid-30sF for the bike.  If raining, 50F but I usually won't go out if it is already raining.  Will ride in the rain if I get caught in it.  No riding on ice or snow covered streets regardless of temp.

For running, I'll run in anything down to -10F wind chill.  Won't run if chance of lighting.

• Options

I'm with Al on the "no bad weather...." concept. I won't bike if the roads are snowy/icy, but I'll run in pretty much anything. Once it starts to go negative I'll go inside. I did IMSG a couple of years ago and tried to stay outside as much as possible for the longer rides on the weekend. Luckily the snow/ice in CO wasn't that bad that year so I didn't get stuck inside on too many weekends. 

• Options

Much below 15F and it doesn't work for me. I've invested in top of the line cold weather cycling apparel over the years and it's paid off, big time. I hate indoor workouts and I avoid them like the plague. Plus it helps that I live in the most moderate climate in the North East. 

Now that I'm riding a velomobile it really doesn't matter; I'm toasty warm no matter how cold it is.

• Options
    I bike commute down to single-digit temps, about 20 minutes each way.

For workouts or even just group rides with some of the EN and other folks locally we ride until it gets to about high-30's after that it's miserable and the bike goes on the trainer. And once it's on the trainer it stays there until the weather gets CONSISTENTLY better...i.e. 50's in the springtime...
  • Options
    For me, upper 40's is tough.... 50's is OK. I'm a wimp for weather on the bike....
  • Options
    Fleeces knickers on the bottom, toe covers on my shoes. Top is the most important for me. I go with a craft base layer, them jersey, then thermal vest. Arms are fleece or neoprene Warner's with full finger gloves. That will take me into the 40's, which in SoCal is the first half of a Saturday AM ride generally warming into the 60's within a few hours.

Rain? Cross bike just for fun.... I learned some scary lessons this year riding my roadie on carbon wheels when I got caught in a downpour I was not expecting.
  • Options

For me, 40's is where I really have to convince myself to ride.  My main issues are toes and face.  I have toe covers, which helps a ton.  A balaclava works pretty well for the face, but then I have lots of fogging glasses, especially when climbing at lower speeds. 

• Options
    Temp has to climb above freezing. Favorite gear: (1) Performance neoprene booties plus chemical toe warmers and I'm OK in the high 20s; (2) adidas clima-shell wind pants--cheap, breathable, wind-blocking, and aero (not)--just use a commuter strap or rubber band to prevent it getting caught in the chainring . THat plus tights-and the lower half is generally OK. If not using some wind-blocker, highly recommend craft's wind-blocking undershorts. (Ask me how I know).
  • Options
    My feet get cold ... I'm done.
  • Options
    Running: I was outside no matter what the weather until 2 years ago. Slipped on ice, knocked me out cold, sweet concussion and right shoulder injury. All winter running on a tread or indoor track.

Biking: has to be above 30 degrees and no fog.
  • Options
    It's pretty easy to talk about how hard core you are...riding in the sub freezing weather. Until you get layer up for 5 months due to an injury and miss an entire season of training. It doesnt take too many of those accidents to convince you to stay indoors when there is risky weather out there. I used to ride in any weather that there wasn't visible ice on the ground and run in anything short of snow packed sidewalks. An accident this summer proved to me that I don't want to sit around while I heal anymore. Although the trainer is terribly boring, I would rather live to fight another day.
  • Options

This is exactly why the temperature has to be projected to get above freezing within the first hour of the ride.  I know my routes pretty well, and once the temps get above 32 the roads don't stay iced in those areas where they might be bad.  If the temp's going to be below freezing the whole time, I'm out.

• Options

40F and dry for the bike, 20F and not dangerous (e.g. no electrical storms, no ice-storms..) for the run.  This means I generally bike indoors early-Nov..early Mar, and I run outdoors with very few exceptions.

• Options
    No less than 50F for the bike. After getting hypothermic at IMCDA2009, anything less than that and I'll be sick for a week!

For the run, nothing less than 40F unless it's a race - then I can brave just about anything.

If it starts raining while I'm already out (riding or running), no choice but to continue. But if it's raining before I start, then I'm less and less inclined to start in the first place.

• Options
    I love this question and reading all of your answers. I was thinking the about the same thing this morning when I was riding my trainer. I think it matters if it is dark as well. I don't mind going out when it is 40 or above but when it is dark, too. UGHH. image
  • Options
    Cold (wind chill), dark, rain, icy with bad traction. one of these is ok but combinations of them mean treadmill time.
  • Options
    For the run my limit is about 10f. In general I am ok with the cold, it is the 33f days when it is raining that I dislike. For cycling my cut-off is about 50f. Of course with all the sand on the roads here I tend to wait until they are clear before heading out.
  • Options

Down here in S TX, I don't even get out of bed unless it's in the fifties. I drive a desk for a living and have delicate skin. In fact, if the thermostat drops below 72 at the office, I'd probably contact the ACLU. I'd probably draw the line at riding at 60. Brrrr. (Hate if you must.)

• Options

Bart - if that was my standard I'd never make it outside.

• Options

x2 Bart.  I would be in bed from october to may.

• Options
    This past year I was hit with a pretty bad progression of Raynaud's disease so I loose circulation in my hand and fingers even in the 50's. I am fine running as it forces the blood into my fingers, but standing still or riding with no hand motion causes me issues. ;-/