Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Fatigue

Coach Patrick. Week 15 of 20 Ironman advanced plan. May 26 is Ironman Brazil. I am really struggling. All of my long bike rides have been on the trainer and every run has been on the TM. The weather here in Michigan has been awful. That being said, Saturday 4.5 hour bike was huge failure. I was barley able to hang on to a .6IF. My heart rate was not elevated, but I just had no legs. Sunday was a scheduled off day, I did some light work around the house but for the most part just relaxed. I have been sleeping 8 hours a night and eating 6 meals a day. Monday I could barely get out of bed. I hit my numbers on my run, but it was a challenge. Swims have been OK. Yesterday was a little better, but today was terrible. I had a 2X20 and the second 20 was just hanging on. Heart rate still not elevated, but no legs. Tomorrow is a 2:15 long run. Rain and wind so most likely the mill again. Saturday is 112 mile bike and an hour run. Weather for Saturday is winds and 42 degrees, I am going outside because I cannot manage 6 hours on the trainer.The following Saturday is the clinic here in the D. Should make modifications for this fatigue? Or just suck it up and try to keep to the plan? This has never happened to me so I am a little frustrated. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Not sure why I am not getting a response to this question?
  • Options

Posted By Pat Ward on 17 Apr 2013 08:13 AM

Coach Patrick. Week 15 of 20 Ironman advanced plan. May 26 is Ironman Brazil. I am really struggling. All of my long bike rides have been on the trainer and every run has been on the TM. The weather here in Michigan has been awful. That being said, Saturday 4.5 hour bike was huge failure. I was barley able to hang on to a .6IF. My heart rate was not elevated, but I just had no legs. Sunday was a scheduled off day, I did some light work around the house but for the most part just relaxed. I have been sleeping 8 hours a night and eating 6 meals a day. Monday I could barely get out of bed. I hit my numbers on my run, but it was a challenge. Swims have been OK. Yesterday was a little better, but today was terrible. I had a 2X20 and the second 20 was just hanging on. Heart rate still not elevated, but no legs. Tomorrow is a 2:15 long run. Rain and wind so most likely the mill again. Saturday is 112 mile bike and an hour run. Weather for Saturday is winds and 42 degrees, I am going outside because I cannot manage 6 hours on the trainer.The following Saturday is the clinic here in the D. Should make modifications for this fatigue? Or just suck it up and try to keep to the plan? This has never happened to me so I am a little frustrated. Thank you

Pat, sorry to hear about your challenges. My notes:

• How did today's long run go?
    • Take Friday 100% off
    • Saturday is your first RR. The placement / timing of that isn't critical so you can do it next weekend if you want, now that the MI clinic has been cancelled. 
    • Or you could take Saturday 100% off as well and roll the Saturday ride / run to Sunday this weekend, take next Monday off and work to get back on track by next Tuesday.
    • That said do NOT do a 6hr ride indoors. In fact, don't call it a race rehearsal at all if you're stuck inside. Just pick your favorite ~2.5-3hr long ride, do that instead, and roll this RR to your first outdoor opportunity. 

Unfortunately, you're just in that shitty time of IM training when everything starts to stack up on top of everything else and it's certainly not helping that you continue to be stuck indoors.  

• Options

Rich

Slugged out today's run on the mill...2:15 minutes of torture. Slow, could not hit my numbers.

I will take tomorrow 100% off. If i cannot get out Saturday, I will take it off also and just ride Sunday.

Thank you

• Options
    Pat, 100% focus on sleep right now, or 8 hours of horizontal time. I know you are a road warrior, so we need to be careful. As for other stuff, get in 8x8oz of water a day as well and make sure you are eating as best you can...it all adds up in crunch time!
  • Options

Thanks Coach.

100% off today, 3 hour trainer ride tomorrow. I will see how I feel Sunday.

• Options
    Remember to eat like a champ on the bike...sports drink and a gel every 30', first one starting at 10' into the ride....then please check back in!