Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

What should I do next week (week ending 4/21)

Hi Coaches

My marathon is on April 28th. The season plan has me repeating OS week 13 this week and next. But I would like to taper a bit for the race, I am in decent shape for a PR attempt and want to go for it. If just marathon training I would cut to 60 percent  weekly miles. So with that here's what I am thinking for next week. Too much? Too little? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

•  M:Rest
  • T: Bike 45 with 2 x 8 Z4
  • W: Run 6 easy
  • Th: Bike 2 x 4 x 1/1
  • F: Run 6 with 20 minutes of tempo
  • Sa: Bike 1:00 with 3 x 8 Z4
  • Su: 10 with 4 @ MP

Comments

• Options
    Without knowing what your season looks like I can only comment on what you posted. Since you cannot gain any fitness with the last 10 days or so I would say your right on target. What's more important is what you do that last week. Keep up the frequency of your runs, but lower the the durations and maybe the intensity for the final week. And I would stay away from any real intense bike sessions the final week. Good luck on the 26.2!
  • Options

Steve,

This post is in the Micro Forum = Op to Coach communication only, just like the Micro Thread. 

Patrick will hit this q shortly. Thanks!

• Options
    Thanks Steve. After the marathon, the next race is on Olympic distance in July and then IMAZ (first time training for IM).

Thanks Coach R.
  • Options
    @Anu, your plan is totally fine. You can keep "regular" until 10 days out, we just want to nail the recovery then...time to start thinking race strategy, etc!
  • Options
    Thanks Coach P. I managed to tweak my AT/calf yesterday and now a bit nervous about the whole thing. Going to a "miracle" doc tomorrow who has helped other friends though soft tissue issues. Never been to a chiro before so should be interesting.

Congrats on your race. Glad you are okay and appreciate you answering this today, can't have been an easy day.
  • Options
    Let me know what the doc says...until then rest or spin easy to stay loose..and 110% on the recovery / rehab focus!
  • Options
    Coach P, he said I should be fine for the race. Some inflammation and a muscle spasm. It feels a lot better and I was able to do a 4 mile run yesterday with no pain. Will try for a bit longer tomorrow (9-10 if all goes well) and report back.
  • Options
    Great! Fingers crossed for you...