Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

just crashed and broke clavicle...adjustments to plan?

Rich,

Was 8 miles into RR 56mi ride yesterday when I crashed.  Car turned in front of me (that shouldn't have) and I locked up the front wheel and landed on head and R shoulder.  Long story short...concussion, broken right clavicle, road rash.  I'm finishing wk18 of HIM plan.  Obviously, that's not gonna happen.  Supposed to do a GF plan and a BF/RF plan before an olympic this summer.  What should I do?  Just keep the plans the same and work back into it as I can?  Other plan?  Probably can't swim for 6wks?

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• Options

Jeff,

Join the club! I have to think pretty hard to find a local training partner who has not broken their clavicle. I joke with my ortho that I should get my own reserved parking spot at his office from all of the patients I've referred to him...

Your doc and your clavicle are driving the train your training right now, with the first decision point begin surgery or no. If yes, the doc will give you a set of guidance re time in a sling, what you can and can't do, etc. My advice is to push him to keep you active. If no, he'll give you another set of guidelines. Again, push him to be active. In my experience, cycling on a trainer can be done relatively soon after your crash, surgery or no. Getting back into running (think arm swing = not that great for healing) is something else. These days I see more and more docs going with surgery. When I broke mine in '01 I was sent out of the office with a $15 sling and some painkillers. Was riding on a trainer in 7 days and ran a 10k 4wks after the wreck. Didn't get outside on the bike though for about 10-12 weeks but, again, every doc is different. Just be sure you see one who understands athletes and your goals. 

• Options

Hope I'm not too late to this party!

Here's my thread from last year's experience:

http://members.endurancenation.us/F...fault.aspx

there's also one from Dino not too long ago, and also Steve Swanlund

I'm with Rich, listen to your doc. But we're also going to recover faster than most of the average slobs out there.

My big piece of advice...get the surgery to repair it! and go with plate/screws (not the pin).