Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

IMTX RR, Race Execution & Nutrition Question(s)

Hey P...

In the IMTX bike couse preview...you talk about.."pushing when the wind dies"...If your riding your target watts xxx steady into a headwind...then the wind dies down....is the execution instruction to continue to target xxx or when you say "push"...are you saying its okay to ride at xxx+ 10% or something??

Also- trying to watch/listen to the Kropelnicki Race Fueiling seminar again...but the link is broken..can you help

Last but Not Least....I have been riding my all my race prep workouts using my last indoor FTP....including my first RR which went well...however I know that over the change from indoor to outdoor my FTP is higher (est. 220) ..it did take me a few weeks to get comfortable outside etc...and I still chose to ride the first RR the indoor FTP (210)...the last few weeks on Tuesday...I have ridden what might be viewed as defacto 2x20 or almost 1hr. tests...where the NP was (215-217)...Question is...should I ride my Second RR this weekend with a higher target?  (its my current plan)...whats the upside/downside to doing this? any thoughts?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    JCL, there is no pushing when the wind dies at all...I might have been on crack? Stay tuned for Monday IMTX conference call we can discuss then? I fixed that link, sorry for that...full URL here (might need to cut and paste):

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Fueling+Webinar+(Jesse+Kropelnicki)

10 watts at 200+ FTP is only a 5% delta, certainly worth testing in an RR...definitely look at the final one-two hours to see how it holds up...good luck!
  • Options

Sorry to put this here...but wasn't getting what I needed in the other forum....and it is really a follow up to this thread...so...

I just completed RR#2 over the weekend.  My RR's have always been 100mile ride (always same out and back course) followed by 10k run...why? Well my very first RR & 100mile ride was on this course and it took me over the 6hr time limit and so I have always done subsequent RR's on this course which gives me a great historical view of my fitness + it is a good course with strategically located logistical supports ..like refueling stop at the 50mile mark and a bike shop at the 20mile marker......

RR#1 this year...4weeks ago & I was very pleased ...My target power was 145-150 based off of a 69-70% of my 210FTP (from racing with power calculator)...I finished the ride in 5:33/18mph avg. Pwr of 147/Pnorm 152 for VI 1.03 ...Avg. HR 123 (very cool & very windy day in my face on the way out tailwind most of the way back)  Avg. Cadence 83 ..TSS291I This was a very consistent ride with minimal disruption other than a bottle reffiling stop at the halfway point.

I followed that up with a 10k in 52:40/8:11 avg. as (8:52,8:24,8:10,7:58,7:50)...

RR#2 - I went into RR#2 feeling as though I had a bit of upside on my FTP which I had not captured since moving outside...based on some Tuesday interval riding sessions I re-estimated my FTP at 220 and chose a slightly higher range of power targets ..my target was 155 (150-160 is what I had on my stem)...I completed this ride in 5:21/18.7mph...AvgPwr 149/Pnorm 157 for VI 1.05...Avg. HR 131 (much warmer day, windy but swirling)...Avg. Cadence 86 and TSS 287....this ride was less consistent as I had a number of disrutpions besides the water stop; I flatted @ mile 4 (5min. Change)...and because I flatted so early I stopped at the bike shop for another CO2 & tube (5min)...otherwise solid riding...I definitely felt like I worked harder...I didn't ride JRA as long and I don't think I executed the steady riding/gearing as well...but I got off the bike feeling fine.

I followed that up with a 10k (same course, 5min transition to weight myself etc.)...51:09/8:13 avg as (9:01,8:13,8:08,8:10,7:57,7:51)...and felt great.

In RR#1...temps started cold and out into the wind (49-52)...my return was sunny much warmer (60) and wind at my back I was overdressed on the return but couldn't shed anything...I lost 4.5lbs. My nutrition was drinking 1 x 22oz bottle of Perform/Cytomax per hour and 1 powergel per hour....

In RR#2 I was not overdressed but it was warm the entire ride 55-65...I used the same fueling of 1x22oz. Perform/Cytomax per hour but I took a gel ever 30min. starting at 30min. ...I ended up losing 2.5lbs....

For the race I will be shooting for 2bottles per hour..the only reason I didnot do 2bottles per hour on my RR is related to Logistics...I have 3 bottles available to me ..front torpedo mounted A2...and two rear cages....for my RR's I continually refill the A2...and refill all at the turn around ...one stop...If drink more I have to stop 3x...whereas in a race I grab two bottles at each station...just keep filling the front mount and keep one Perform in the cage.....

So going into my Taper I feel pretty good...but have some questions:

Power:  There is some overlap and how much does 5watts mean either in additional speed or additional fatigue...?

If I use 210 as my FTP...and plug into the tables with a projected finish of 5:50-6:00hrs...I get a GREEN target IF of 69-70% which for FTP 210 = 145-147   or if I use 220 as my FTP = 152-154  ...another way to look at that is to say that if I rode at 72-74% of the Lower FTP 210 that would be 151-154.....if that makes sense...

So????? My RR experience suggest i can race at the 150-155 range...but if I work backwards from the watts back into the table that would suggest I am running at edge? yes or no?  am I over thinking this?  Currently My plan is to put 150-155 on my stem with a real focus on hardcapping the 155 end...thoughts?  OR SHOULD I ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION AND GO 145-150...HENCE MY QUESTION W0TT DOES  5-10 WATTS MEAN

FYI - My Run Vdot off of a March Half Marathon PR is 49-50...My easy pace and target race pace is 8:45....Texas is a 3 loop course...I plan on running the entire first loop at 8:50-9:00...second loop at target...then run try to hold target or better for the final loop...

Nutrition- a.) 2x22oz perform/hour + 1 powergel every 30min ( I may sub a few powerbars just to get something less sweet)...Is this too much on the Gel side?

Electrolytes:  I did not supplement during my rides but have used SCaps @ Louisville in 2011 & 2012...I was planning on adding S-caps as needed to get about 1000mg NA/hour. (2x perform + 2xgel = 700mg/hour...+1 Scap= 1000mg)

How does the nutrition sound?  

What about run nutrition? To eat or just drink? Thoughts?

• Options
    JCL, thanks for all this and sorry you aren't getting good answers elsewhere!!! On the swing of 5 watts, the real arbiter isn't power necessarily but how well you can run off those numbers. If you want to have a great, energized run (or need to because your run fitness is low, for example) then aim lower. If you have high goals on race day and need to push that bike for an AG placing for example, then we aim a bit higher knowing the run will suffer. That said, 95% of folks should opt "easier" every time.

I wouldn't worry so much about run pacing at IMTX vs your LRP as I would off of your HR. Note your AVG HR for the last hour of the bike and run at a pace up to 10, maximum 15 beats higher than that….this will lead to slightly faster early miles but hopefully steady miles all day on a flat course whose biggest obstacle is temps, not terrain.

Nutrition, if you sub a powerboat, you eat 1/2…so you could do gel, gel, 1/2 bar, 1/2 bar, gel, gel, 1/2 bar, 1/2 bar, gel, gel, blah blah blah. Those calories are fine….just keep eating and drinking until you get push back with some burping…you MUST keep the perform on schedule, if you need to skip a feed cycle or delay it you can do that.

I would do 1 scap per hour, that's fine. I recommend the endurolytes in empty fuelbelt for the run to spike the drinks out there...

Run nutrition is 1 cup of perform per aid station. You will want to get in 2 gels in the first 6 miles….so eat when you feel good, not exactly at mile 2 or 4…in an IM, when you feel good -- you EAT! I had my 2 gels at mile 2 (both) done. Eating early is important b/c later it's harder to consume. After those gels I do a clif blok every 2 miles…still keeping on the perform. A gel at 1/2 way…then whatever I can get down with coke / perform / blocks for the rest of the run.

Note all my gels were caffeine, all day, but I eat coffee in training.
  • Options

Thanks P-

No worries about feedback in the other forum...it was a long and tortuous note...so probably reader fatigue ...I got some feedback within the IMTX group too...Cronk & Roy E have been great motivators & sounding boards.

I think my run fitness is very good...I have had more frequency, volume, and pace this year than ever...and 5-6 solid weeks of long runs of 1:50-2:10 at solid strong pace (7:15-7:30)...(last few years I went longer 2:15-2:30 but at min/mi slower pace)...

I am going to put 150-155 but probably be aiming at 150 most of the day.....I don't want to booger my race by overplaying my cards on the bike... but on the same hand I don't want to leave time on the bike course just 'cuz I'm skeered.  

I think my goals are reasonable achievable and my fitness is there...this is my 3rd IM...my first was around finishing comfortably (L'ville 2011 12:15..with 15min. of transition)....last year ..great OS...but the bike crash and my attempt to cramm to much into too little time...including not enough swim which I think got my day off behind the 8-ball...and then the heat impacted my results last year (12:50 with 20min. of transition)...actually in retrospect...I think I was luck to get away with that....this year...I carried over that fitness and have had a solid OS/GF/Race Prep.....I've improved my swim, bike, and run fitness across the board.... 

I have a number of goals including, of course, time ...but am building my race plan around my fitness metrics from workouts/race prep not time.

Goal #1..finish safely and without a metabolic crash like I have experienced in both L'ville races...In both years I had the "tingling fingers, arms, and lightheadness" electrolyte/dehydration crash around midway into the run...which precipitated walking into the next rest stop which ate up about 20min. each year...I was always able to recover after eating/hydrating and then finish the course running...I would like to be able to execute the course without this happening...

Goal #2...I have a goal first to PR (break 12:15) but believe I can run under 11:30 with "soft" time goals of 1:30 swim/6hr bike/4hr run...all of those are within my current fitness metrics assuming conditions allow and I execute like a Ninja.

Note: My current BEST Possible Time Predictions:  1:20 swim / 5:50 Bike / 3:50 Run

• Options
    Ok, sounds good. Your top priority is making sure that you eat and drink enough, especially in the first 2 hours of the bike. First gel at :10 down, then the next at :40, etc. Drink Perform around that with a goal of 1-1.5 bottles gone by every aid station...it's work and you'll do it until your stomach starts to fight back but then you dial it down. The bonk on the run is a function of what you are doing on the bike re food, and the early miles of the run. As I mentioned, if you feel good at the start of the run you don't run faster, you EAT MORE. image