Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Camp Question

Hello All,

So i am doing IMLP training camp on June 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th.  and my training (IM Int - week 14) has us as a light week with a rest day on Sunday.  Yet week 15 is a RR and long bikes.  What should i do about the schedule?

Yes, I play really far in advance. image

Comments

• Options

Jonathan , In the past we have used the IMLP camp to do the race rehearsal and then also add into that a long training weekend. Not sure what other people are doing but if I make it out for the camp I will make that the race rehearsal and then make the next week a light week (Basically swap the 2 weeks) . 

You can also ask on the micro thread when it gets closer. 

• Options

I was figuring on doing what Atif mentioned - get the training dose in that weekend, and take an easy week in the days following to recover from the massive TSS I'll be putting my body through.

At that point in the season - a mere 5 weeks or so out from the race, there's very little that can be done fitness wise after the camp is over - so it's all about (1) adequate recovery from the campe, (2) maintaining the 'edge' over the following few weeks, and (3) effective taper.

At least, that's my approach.
  • Options

Jonathan,

The suggestions to move the easy week after is a good one.  For me I'd be targeting to hit the long run on Thursday the following week if possible. 

You may also need to manage your week prior if fatigued.  Remember Monday's runs in the first to go. Swim and sit this one out if tired.  Also the Sunday ABP has a range take it a little easier to rest up for the camp if needed.  If really fatugued you might even consider taking this day off prior to the camp. 

These are week by week changes to the plan that you need to have with yourself to manage fatigue and ensure that 1 day off does not turn in to 2 or 3.

Gordon

• Options
    Posted By Ryan Miller on 06 May 2013 10:15 PM

At that point in the season - a mere 5 weeks or so out from the race, there's very little that can be done fitness wise after the camp is over - so it's all about (1) adequate recovery from the campe, (2) maintaining the 'edge' over the following few weeks, and (3) effective taper.

At least, that's my approach.

Ryan

While I agree that you are better coming in rested there is still a bunch of work that you can put in at 5 weeks out.  I was originally thinking physiological adaptations happen in that 14 to 21 days following a workout but went out and found a source.  I'm no expert in this area so feel free to refute what I have posted. 

Long runs do the most damage, then cutting the bike down,  Some have even crammed swimming in the two to four weeks prior to IM.  Again all this is considering downstream effect of the workouts.  If you can handle the stress load then it's an option from 5 weeks to a shortened taper of maybe 14 days.  Again not typical and I'd recommend sticking to the EN plan 

Here's one article focued on running.  I thought I read some of this in Noakes' Lore of Running as well but it's been a long time.

":According to Pete Pfitzinger, an exercise physiologist and two-time Olympic marathoner, the process is cumulative. "Positive training adaptations occur from repeated stimulus created by training stress," he says. "I think of the accumulated adaptations to training as a rolling sum of:

1. Stress which leads to fatigue (hard training done in the past five days);

2. Stress which is starting to lead to positive adaptations (hard training done about five to eight days ago);

3. Stress which has created a positive adaptation (hard training done about eight days to three weeks ago); and

4. Stress which is losing its effect (hard training done more than three weeks ago)."

The fitness you have today is a balance of these four categories. But what about the singular benefits from a particular workout, like that set of mile repeats you did last Wednesday?

That's difficult to pinpoint exactly, but, says Pfitzinger, they're typically realized in about eight to 10 days. Joe Rubio, a two-time U.S. Olympic trials marathon qualifier and head coach of the ASICS Aggies, says that "most athletes will see a benefit from an individual workout 10-14 days after it is completed."

http://www.runnersworld.com/workout...age=single

Gordon

• Options

Gordon - 

Thats some really good information, I think.  Especially the breakdown of when stress is applied and how it carries out throughout its.. lifecycle?  Not sure thats the word to use, but I can't think of a better one.

It reminds me of the performance monitor graphs in GC or WKO+, because those graphs that track TSS and fatigue do so over a rolling window of time - so it's interesting to see it put into words.. how a day of training stress adds to fatigue initially, then gradually goes through the phases of adding to physiological adaptations.

I guess my thinking was more along the lines of the final 5 weeks being relatively insignificant compared to the 8 months of training leading up to the event.  But I do agree with you that there are a few weeks of benefit to be gained (especially on the bike and swim, because as you say the run is the most damning when it comes to recovery cost) in that time between the camp and the event itself.

Thanks!

• Options
    On a related note, the spreadsheets in the wiki that compare the volume across plans show that the final three to six weeks of the IM training plans have the biggest bike volume of all!
  • Options
    Another camp question - what if i miss the friday bike and only make it to sat-sunday activties? is it still worth it to see the terrain if that is the only opportunity to get up there before game day?
  • Options
    If that is you only time to get up there definitely still worth it to come up, in my opinion! If it is like the last time I did the camp many people will be doing two loops again on Saturday. So you get to experience the rough road sections, the scary fast decent into Keene, and long climb from back to town all two times - well worth it before the race!
  • Options
    I'd agree but only if the travel time to get there isn't to excessive.
  • Options
    Absolutely worth it if that is the only chance you'll get to see the course (that's why I'm coming in from CO)! I was able to do two recons of St George before that IM (although I'm not sure the family was too psyched that we drove to San Diego for spring break that year so I could do that) and the mental familiarity with the course was incredibly valuable on race day.