Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Week 16 Workout Thread

Hi all --

Sounds like most folks had a successful and informational RR this past week. I delayed mine to this coming Friday due to an Oly tri yesterday. Still did my long ride on Saturday, so raced the Oly with heavy fatigue -- on Coach R's advice to "train thru" the race as we approach IMCDA.

Anyhow, I managed a SLOW 45 min run this morning, followed by a ~20min swim just to log some pool time. Hoping I can add some intensity back during tomorrow's swim+run sessions.

During the run, I listened to part of an interview with Jordan Rapp on the Zen and the Art of Triathlon podcast (http://tinyurl.com/m3yqyml). I know Rappstar is controversial around these parts, but he had some interesting points on cadence and workout frequency vs. duration.

Happy Training!

Comments

• Options

Rocked M and Tu swims, but couldn't get up the energy for Z4 intervals yesterday. Not running today as I have an Army PT test in the morning...FTP ride home in the evening - 2.5 hr run to work on Th. Yeehaw!! Hope it isn't too wet - hell on the feet!

• Options
    For me...so far so good this week...ready for a good long run today
  • Options
    I'm tired and I have lots of little aches and pains. I'm getting too old for this stuff.
  • Options
    David- I could post the same thing ;-) I have a Chiropractor appt in 30 min and got referred to a PT for some hamstring pain i've been having for a month or so. Its all about managing the fatigue. Its not a bad thing to skip a shorter workout here and there if it allows you to complete the key ones better. I've been skipping the monday run fairly conistantly because i need the rest to hit tue/wed/thur workouts.

Its the home stretch though! Any of us could do the IM right now and do well. So its really important to try to stay as healthy as possible.

I'm doing my long run at lunch today. I'm glad its only supposed to be 75 today. Should make for a nice run (if it weren't 2 1/4 hrs).
  • Options
    Weather here in the NW Pacific is crap...off for next 10 days, but traveling next weekend...will be interesting to see what I can get in...
  • Options
    I'm standing down a few days to hopefully skirt a full on injury. image Overdid the run mileage lately. Hoping that by week 17 I can fully get back to it.
  • Options
    did my swim RR#2 yesterday and lowered my pace from 1:49/100yd to 1:47/100yd -- feeling good about my swimming, but i've been STRUGGLING with the mid-week FTP bike sets. has been awhile since i held anything close to my FTP for an extended time period. run is rounding back to form after some calf injuries earlier in the program -- nailed my 3x1mile repeats on Tuesday

headed out on brick RR#1 later today, so hope the rain holds off

feeling lots of fatigue at the moment, but taper's just around the corner -- also listened to R's course guide last night on the drive home for work -- seems like it will be a very fun course (for both athletes and families/spectators with so many trips thru town)
  • Options
    wrapped up Week 16 with my best long run of the build

probably had something to do with bailing on my RR on Friday. was not prepared for the rain and cold and cut it short after 1 hr, including 30 min of driving rain. took yesterday off for family time and to fend off a threatening cold/cough

woke up early this morning and banged out 18.8 miles in 2h30min -- was not able to hit Z2 paces, but did the 2x40' at a pace/HR/RPE above Z1, so happy with that

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/318637867

added ~6 hours of walking around Six Flags this afternoon, so looking forward to a swim (only) tomorrow

on to Week 17!
  • Options
    Mike that's an awesome run 18.8 in 2:30 nice work. Keep up the nice work.