Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Power testing question

Patrick, based on the telephone call today (4/30) what I wanted to say was I wanted to try to up FTP before Raleigh. Mainly by doing some high end power 2 min and 3 min intervals max 1:1 recovery for the next 3 wks would help. Then testing 2 weeks before Raleigh instead of this week to dial it all. Still endurance "ish" on weekend.  I have not been able to see the other plan but my thought was basically to do "Cathedral" on trainer road.  Everything would then change after Raleigh.  Thoughts? 

My basic thought process is I really have not done much to boost power mainly endurance and threshold type workouts.  Throwing in some high end stuff might give me a small boost these last five weeks and still run well.  My goal would be to bike 2:15 to 2:18 and still run a sub 1:26.

Comments

• Options

I think you mean something along the lines of the 5 Minute Threshold Hack? This is essentially 110% FTP work (not 120 which can be a bit costly)...please read and hit me back here with "newer" thoughts!!! Thanks for sharing this...

• Options

I was thinking more on the line of 120+% and up.  I would do the equivalent of 20-25 minutes.  10 x 2 or 7 x 3 max effort. That would be the first session of the week.  Second session of the week would be threshold 95-105% sessions at 10-20 mins.  But I was also thinking about 5 min max sessions alternating with the 2 min sessions every other week.  That would just leave a longer session remaining for the week.  Yesterday before the 2 minute intervals, I did a 1 min all out (trainer) and 5 minute all out (trainer). Yesterday's intervals were 130+% for the 2 min intervals. I wouldn't necessarily subscribe to a % but go max effort then recover as much as I can and go max again.  

I like testing on the trainer because I perceive it harder thus feeling easier on the road.  The reason I like those all out intervals is mainly due to the Critical Power calcs from Dr. Skiba.  Jordan Rapp's openness with information lead to some questions he answered for me where I understand he utilizes CP for his pacing strategy.

Based on Dr. Skiba's calculations my IF for my half was at the upper end of FTP (.855) but smack dab in the middle of the half IM pacing if I used the CP calculations (.83).  

I think my post is bouncing around a bit between topics.  But I hope I made sense. 

• Options
    I like critical power as a metric for working back to your race pace, but not sure how I feel about you doing 10x2' at that effort, much less in workout one. I feel like that level of work is best saved for the winter when we don't have run volume or swim goals.... Right now I think it will be so much as to limit your overall development. But there's only one way to find out I guess....
  • Options
    Okay, after the last few weeks of increased power work. Here's my update. So I was having issues with the PM dropping all data. It happened several times so I contacted quarq and they replaced everything very quickly I might add. But after doing very intense 1 and 2 minute intervals on Tuesday and hard 10-20 minute LT work on a thursday and still doing a couple of endurance with some sweet spot for 3 weeks, I retested. I gained 25 watts on my FTP. I went from 270 to 295. I thought I was a bit stronger after the Half in Charleston but I didn't think it would be that much stronger. Now, I want to be cautious for this as well. I went to the edge in those three weeks. I was pretty tired overall. I felt my run harder to recover from but was still hitting my times. Swim has been going well. Once I backed off the bike leading up to the test I seemed to regain my foothold on recovery and rest. I am also curious. Even though I have a higher FTP and CP I have only done one workout at the new power, the test. So I am leery of going into Raleigh (2 weeks away) just trying to go .80-.85 of 295. I will try to do some shorter LT work to start getting used to the new numbers but it will be shorter. More of engine revving instead of power pushing. What are some thoughts to this? Should I take the number at face value and go with it?
  • Options
    Steve, first of all I hope you wrote the hack down for the future..maybe post to the Power/Pace forum for others to see. You earned the numbers and were most likely tired for that test. That said, this question is exactly why we do Race Simulation workouts. If possible, maybe tweak this Saturday's ride to have some good time at .8 - .85 of that number? So maybe do 2 x 45' at that number, with 5' of easy spinning between? That will give you insight, especially the last 15' of #2.

If you don't hit it, remember, riding .8 of anything between 270 and 295 is still an improvement of where you were...

And more importantly, it gives you TOTAL CONFIDENCE to ride .8 of 270 knowing you are going to CRUSH the run....

Lots of upside here for you..depends how it all shakes out!
  • Options
    Patrick,

I had done a test trying to pick race wheels over a somewhat rolling hills course. It ended up being 1h45 min test. I was trying to be modest with the power and ended up averaging 237, which is right around .80 of the new FTP. I felt very solid on the ride. Yesterday, with your suggestion in mind, I did the same course with just training wheels and tried to keep the wattage near 250 as much as possible. It's funny how I try to stay there and it ended up being less. First half was 242 and second half was 243. VI was 1.01 so not too bad and overall the elevation I travelled for this 38 miler was similar to the 56 in Raleigh. So I will be pushing for 250.
  • Options
    Push for 250 but don't force it...a little under only means you HAVE TO run faster!!! image