Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Welcome to Week 17

2 more weeks to taper!

good double workout this morning -- hit my 3x1 miles at or slightly above Z4, but wasn't able to shave the 2-3 secs off my RR pace during the 6x500yds in the pool. i'll take it. looking forward to tomorrow's bike test, as I haven't tested since the end of the NovOS

keep cranking away all!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Everyone! Hope training is going well - only a little bit longer then taper time! I spent the weekend training on course in CDA. Got some good miles in and also some open water swimming in the lake too. The lake temp has dropped (typical - as the snowpack is melting), so it was about 55.5-56 this weekend, but it's warming again so don't worry about it too much yet. I swam in a full wetsuit and with a double-swimcap; while my hands and feet were cold, it wasn't unbearable and went well overall. The first few minutes until you catch your breath are a shock, but after that it was no problem.

Good luck everyone in our final push!!
  • Options
    Man I can't wait until the taper. ;-)

I'm moving my RR#2 to Friday because I have that day off work. So, its a week early. And of course is supposed to be 98 degree's also, so that should make things interesting. Guess I'll be getting up early.

Recently I've been doing better on my workouts. But I have a twitchy hammy, so we'll see how that goes. Doing my long run on Wednesday. Hopefully it will be as good as my last one.

• Options

Getting a little nervous as everything ramping up: Knees both acting up on runs...kinda stiff, quirky, especially up/down stairs. Just seem overworked. And my arse is sore..as in literally sores (sorry if TMI) from the saddle time, and not quite enough time to heal between rides? Maybe paying the price for letting personal stuff cause a dip in progress in part of March and a week in April. Below is my Performance Management Chart...quite a rise hitting most everything. But wondering if I should lay off (Skip tomorrow morning's FTP test or back off Long Run Thurs?) or forge ahead and deal with it!?!? Anyway. Nervous...  

Thx!

Greg

• Options
    I'm in the same boat Greg. Didn't fully drive myself into a brick wall, but the wall managed to take out my side view mirror and scuff up my paint image

I'd ping Patrick and get his take. I was hesitant to, but it was clear I was losing it. After dialing it back for a few days, focusing on recovery, I feel ready to hit these last two weeks.
  • Options
    Will do re: Patrick. Thanks Brandon.

I did "try" the HR test today, but only cycled 33mins total, with just the first 10 min of the test. I couldn't even get up into Zone 3 so I stopped to rest my sore gluteus maximus.
  • Options
    Greg, here you go:

1) Get chamois cream. Lots of it. Use it all the time. Please.

2) No testing for you, resting is more important. Nothing else today. Replace long run with a 45' run, as 15' warm up, 25' zone 2/MP, 5' of strides. Then swim friday, RR on Sat, Sunday off. Monday is swim only..then back at it. Sleep / fluids / workout food all at 100%...no skimping here please.

3) If you can book a massage next Monday, do it. Skip the swim for it. You need some recovery...otherwise lots of foam rolling, etc...

Keep us posted!
  • Options
    hey guys --

i had a ROUGH bike power test this morning. had not tested since the end of the OS where i came out at VO2 of 300 and FTP of 247. was able to squeak out ~275W during the VO2 section and had nothing left for the FTP section, so just ground out ~190W for the 20 min section

it's pretty clear my legs are cooked from all the running i've been doing -- which has been going great. for example, i hit all 3 mile intervals at Z4 yesterday and had a great long run on Sunday am. biking intensity on the other hand has been a challenge ever since the OS. have not been able to summon the mojo to consistently hit FTP intervals, so i would not be surprised if my FTP has dropped, but fatigue is certainly playing a part. unfortunately, i wasn't able get in my first bike+run RR due to family+work stresses the past couple weekends. my long bikes have been going fine and i've been able to hit the 20-30' race pace plus intervals with no issues, so I am not worried about the bike at CDA, I'm just not sure i have an accurate gauge of my FTP at this point -- and not sure I'll be able to get one before the race. by the way, my swim times have consistently improved since i got back into the pool post-OS, so i feel good about that.

i'm considering doing RR#1 this weekend and following it up with RR#2 next weekend, which i think will really help my confidence and is probably the best way to dial in my true FTP at this point. let me know if you all have any suggestions -- thanks!

sorry for the rambling post, but clearly others are feeling similarly -- will also copy this to my micro thread to make sure Coach P sees it
  • Options
    Thanks Coach P! Will do all you suggest...

Only follow-up question is that Wk 17 doesn't have a RR this weekend. It is the second one of those Sat 4:30/Sun 3:30 bike weekends (like last week's). How would that tweak what you recommend?

Thx again for the quick reply!

Greg
  • Options
    Yep, tis the time in the plan to be tired. I've been regularly skipping the monday runs, or doing 20-30 min easy to loosen up. I've had my ups and downs on my long runs of the past 6 weeks. The last few have been my best though. Todays long run was ok. Felt good for the first 10 miles and then slowed. Probably because I didn't take my gel at mile 10 like I should have, but I was already slowing a lot.

I've been practicing my nutrition on EVERY run/bike, even if its an hour. And that seems to be helping. Recovery is the same. I always take somethig after a workout.

I'm doing my RR this Friday (a week early), thats probably where Patrick got confused... I had emailed him to make sure that was ok. Of course I didn't plan on it being 95 degree's on Friday. So, that should make things interesting. A good test in case its hot on race day I guess.

Keep it up everyone. Almost there. make sure you hit the key workouts. Don't feel bad if you ahve to skip some of the shorter runs. its best to be able to complete the more important ones.
  • Options

Way to hang in there guys. Keep in mind your fitness levels are basically locked in, you wont get any gains out of pushing at this point. From here on out its just practice for execution, and minimizing fatigue. If you're tired -- rest, its not going to hurt you at all, in fact it will help. You're almost there!!!!