Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

New swim start format

This was posted on the dashboard, but thought I would give it a more permanent home here:
http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2013/05/swimsmart-initiative.aspx#axzz2SnhE5WWu

Comments

• Options
    I'm happy about this! I feel like it will be a much better measure of swim ability vs. just a measure of how well one can try to keep swimming while getting tackled in the water.
    Great move by Ironman!
  • Options
    i am not a great swimmer by any means, and if this helps me mentally settle in than fine. Not like I was going to passing anyone in that lake anyways.
  • Options
    Posted By John Bayone on 21 May 2013 07:36 PM

i am not a great swimmer by any means, and if this helps me mentally settle in than fine. Not like I was going to passing anyone in that lake anyways.

John,

I've done the race twice swimming around 1:30 and you can get through the swim without a lot of fight club stuff.  I've started in the water off the back both times.  You do get jammed up and bump people but it want calm.  I'm sure this process will smooth out the swim even more.  Just get comfortable in your wetsuit and swimming the distance the rest will sort itself out.

Gordon

• Options
    Thanks Gordon, that is around where I will wind up if all goes well...I figure as long as I am patient it will sort itself out.