Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

IMLouisville wko thread, 10-16 Jun

Time for another week!  Get after it and let us know how its going.  For those that did races last weekend, drop in and give us your impressions.

This week is going to be pretty hacked up for me.  I've got to take a fitness test for work and the weather is not playing along, so I have to schedule hard workouts carefully.  I'm also taking the family to the beach this weekend so Saturday and Sunday are pretty much a wash.  Going to try to move a long bike to Friday as long as work cooperates.  

Good luck!

Comments

• Options

Thanks for firing up the new thread Roy.

Monday swim and aquajog done.  Sprints were a bit slower than last week - I blame it on leg fatigue from the weekend rides. Somehow tired legs translate into mediocre swim times for me....

• Options

Lunch run 60' 2*6' 3% hills @Z3, 2*3' 3% Hills @ Z3.  Remainder @ Z2.  Hot Hot Hot 93, Heat Index 113.

Evening Swim open water. 60' @ 1.1"/Strk. 

• Options

6/11/13 in the book.

Lunch Run. 45'  15'WU/Z1 4*30" @1'. 2*1 mile/Z3 @ 2', Remainder @Z1

Evening OWS. 1.4 miles alternating stroke rates.  Hot!!! H2O @ 92° Unbelievable.  Happened to weigh pre @ 171.2.  After 167.4.  Thats crazy.  6 weeks ago we were in wet suits. It concerns me coming out of the water losing that much water. I still find it hard to believe those numbers. The whole group is going to do pre and post weight on Thurs.

@Roy What was the H2O temp on your IML(approx).  Did you take in some extra water in T1 prior to jumping on the bike or just pound the bottles between start and rest stop 1.

Evening Endurance Intervals on Erg video/Computrainer  70' 2*2'/Z3, 2*4'/Z3, 2*6'/Z3 @ 2'

5*Veggie Pizza slice/Z0 @ 2*Sam Adams.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Options
    @ Danny: I had the exact same dinner as you last night, although I only did 50% of the Sam Adams.... Regardless, it worked: I crushed the FTPs this AM image
  • Options
    Bad week at work for me this week. Two zero days and today I snuck out for a 5.5 mile run in the mid-day heat. I probably won't get anymore until Friday morning when I have to do my fitness test for work (pull-ups, crunches, and a 3 mile run). Going to try to do a long ride after that. Weekend (weather allowing) is going to be family vaca in Virginia Beach. Keep on it everyone.

@Danny, will get back to your Louisville question soon image
  • Options
    @Danny wrt Louisville water temps: I believe the water temp was ~ 82. It wasn't bad at all, but there was never any question of whether it would be wetsuit legal. For me, that's a plus because I don't like swimming in a wetsuit. Having done that last year and Texas (also mid-80's water) this year, I've tried to look hard at the swim wrt hydration and its overall physical 'cost' on the day. I've started weighing myself before and after each swim workout and I'm averaging ~2 lb loss each session. That's more that I would have guessed going into this build. Bottom line, I've believe I may have been starting the bike each race behind on the hydration curve. I am planning on being hyper-aggressive with the water intake. Good H2O load going into the day and a water bottle in the line. I won't do anything while in T1 but I will have two bottles of fluid on the bike rolling out so I will start hitting those hard as soon as I clear the line. Then a bottle of perform and water at each aid station, clearing them both by the next station. Hope this helps!
  • Options

6/12/13 Bike workout as perscribed. 140 Min on rolling hills.  IF .70 

@Roy Thanks for the info.  I am still shocked to learn after all this time that I come out of the water down that much H20 and I am sure calories as well.  I had read on Trifuel that when coming out of the water one should try and take in the equal of the calories and H20 for the 1+ that was just performed.  If this was done on the bike it would make the first hour hell.  Double water and calories.  I would be taking in what was missed in swim plus what is needed on bike. Don't think that is doable for me.  I believe I am going to add in one extra bottle of water in my bike sessions in the first hour to try and get used to the extra fluid.  Thanks again

• Options
    @Kate Ha! Dinner 'o champions.  I think we need a cooler of ice cold SA just past finish line.  I would crawl in for that.........
  • Options

Made an appt w/ the PT next week to get my knee checked out - sad! Rested 10 days and it still hurt at Z2 on the bike last night. Clearly needed to stop after 18 miles. Sharp pain under the knee cap and slightly to the outside when it's loaded at an angle (like standing from a chair or going up stairs). Running doesn't put it at a enough of an angle to hurt so I will swim and run until then. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. I haven't had any injuries (zero, none, nothing) in 3+ years and now this shows up the exact week I'm supposed to start IM training.

Sorry to be a downer - go back to your happy posts and training reports!

• Options

@StaceyThink positive, Think Positive, ... Hope it comes back well.

Today in books.  Had to swap Fri workout for Thurs.  Lunch Run 45' 8*30" Strides. Remainder @ Z2.  OWS 62'. Still very hot.

• Options
    Stacey, you are doing the right thing, focusing on getting fixed/better. Keep us in the loop!

Marine Corps PFT to celebrate my birthday this morning. 20 pull ups, 97 crunches, and 3 mile run in 18:20. Good for 295 on a 300 point scale. I typically do the run first and upper body/abs second, but this morning with a promotion board coming up this summer, I wanted the aggregate score to be high. So I got the pulls/crunches in first and lost some time on the run (I usually roll ~17:30 run with less pull ups and crunches). Mission accomplished with a higher overall score so I'm very happy.

No biking this weekend as its family beach time. I might try to sneak out early in the morning for a run or two, but then again, I might not! We'll have to see how it plays out.

Keep on it everyone and keep those posts coming! Still lots of silence from those of you who rolled the races last weekend (and you know who you are)!
  • Options

Long run done! Felt good this A.M.Was a little curious of how it would go after hot tub swim last night. Began using my fueling plan during the run.  Will be tweaking over next 6 weeks. 105', 15'WU/Z1, 6*30"/Z3, 20'/Z3, Remainder Z2. Total milage 11.1

Have great weekend.......

• Options
    Good work on the long run Danny.

Up at dawn and got 4.5 miles on the boardwalk in. Back in the room and out on the patio overlooking the beach with my coffee before any of the family wakes up. Life is good!

Keep at it everyone!
  • Options
    Sat in the books. Had to adjust due to family obligations.  120' bike/Z2 steady. 35' run off bike. Cool front moved in this evening, Ahhhhhh dropped 25 degrees in an hour.  Bike should be good tomorrow.  Have a good weekend everyone. Rest excellent!
  • Options

Happy Fathers Day, Dad's

Sunday change up. Need to swap Monday work for Sunday. I commute to LA every Fri and Sunday at the tune of 7 Hrs so fitting in prescribed work sometimes gets hard.

Got in 65' Run. 20'WU, 10*1' Hill Repeats/Z3, Remainder @Z2

Heading to pool to do swim on way out of town.  Pool, errrrrrrrr I hate pools. Scabs, Hair and band aids. Oh My!

@Roy Just noticed you had PT last week.  Didn't know your were military. Thanks for your service and sacrifices made. Its only because you guys we can do crazy Sh*t like this.  God Bless.