Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

Louisville Gearing Poll

I know this has been discussed extensively in other forums but wanted to try and get some feedback specific to IMLOU.  What's everyone bringing to the game?

I am currently using 53/39 - 11/26.

I move back and forth between an 11/23 and 11/26 depending on where I am.  Been comptiplating a new Quark power meter but am stuck on the ring size.  Should I stay with the standard or move my old man ass to compact.  I would be moving it back and forth between Road and TT bikes to get return on my investment.  I cannot believe I would ever get to a point with bike gear being classified as an investment.  Any feed back?

Comments

• Options
    Your current gear is fine.
    If you're getting a Quarq go with the compact.
    FWIW, you won't use the 11t hardly at all on the IMLou course, maybe for a few seconds on the downhill in the middle of out and back
  • Options
    I've got a 12-27 cassette on my PT wheel and will stick w/ that. My road bike has compact cranks that I have loved since the day I got the bike 3 years ago!! I've only spun it out in a road race once at about 40 mph (and with 11-26). It was a women's Cat 1,2, 3 race and was the only time I was a bit worried (unjustified as everyone else was coasting too). My TT bike has standard cranks. I'm seriously thinking about putting compact on it! I want a solid chainring (b/c it would look better) and would be an excuse to purchase a new, and hence compact, set. But I'm a little sick of socking money into this IM thing so maybe just stick with the stock chainring I've got. Need a front-end hydration system more than a spiffy chainring. My $0.02.