Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

29 days to go, how's everyone holding up?

I gotta admit, I feel myself getting out on the razor's edge. Work has been crazy, the big workouts are starting to pile up, I'm tired/hungry all of the time, need to start thinking about logistics and I find myself alternating between excitement and dread as I think about these last three big training weekends. I've got a short week at work due to the holiday and I'm looking forward to getting some extra rest.

How's everyone else holding up?

Comments

• Options
    I felt a knot in my stomach last night. Under 30 days scares me. I have so many questions...and yes, I am tired too. Starting to get some aches here and there. I'm hoping the flatness of my training is offset by the heat and humidity I have here in South Georgia.
  • Options
    Scared. Very. Scared. One day, I'm confident, the next, I'm tired and need more recovery time. I reached "racing weight" early, and now I'm still dropping pounds in spite of constant eating. It's like reverse Weight Watchers. What? That GU only has 90 calories? Give me that Clif Bar for 250! Then, yesterday, we got the Athlete Guide, with Run Rule #1 stating that the only means of locomotion allowed are running, walking, or CRAWLING, and I'm thinking I may need all three! Was I crazy to think this grandmother could take on her first IM at age 60?
  • Options
    Kate, I hear you. I go through moments of panic to moments of "I've got this." My problem is I'm still under training. I have a very, very strong lazy side that has won some battles recently. Fear of the IM hasn't been enough to scare me onto the treadmill or into the pool. That said I should head out for my bike ride today. I just hope what I am doing is enough. Remember we have each other to help encourage each other through it. This extreme heat and humidity is not helping. Lets hope we have good weather on the 28th.
  • Options
    Scared as hell!! Panic attack is putting it mildly. I pinched a nerve in my neck and shoulder at camp and it is still bothering me like no ones business! Been going to the doctor and massage every week. It's getting alittle better.

I honestly just want the race to be done. I want to relax and not worry about getting up before the birds every day to train. I want to feel refreshed and not tired all the time. I want to go out and eat chicken wings and drink beer and not worry about how that will affect my training. I would also like to reconnect with friends that had to take a back seat because of training... Sorry I'm in a crap mood because my neck hurts and I bailed on the bike this morning because I'm doing an open water swim (2.4 mikes if the weather holds up). I know I can finish the race and I know I can smile while doing it. I just feel under trained yet exhausted. :-(.
  • Options
    Take a BIG DEEP BREATH and relax - all is going to be okay!

For a small handful of people trying to get a Kona spot or set a PR on the course > there is reason to be stressed. Triathlons are supposed to be fun and a test of your personal boundaries. Once you cross the finish line, you will be part of an exclusive group of individuals - YOU WILL BE AN IRONMAN! Finishing 3 mins off of a goal or 10 mins faster than your neighbor is not likely to propel you to a shoe contract w/ Asics or bike contract with Trek. Remember - this is a journey as well as an event. I understand, appreciate and respect having anxiety - that said, if you have done the work, the day will unfold well > I promise!! When you start to get anxious - think of LP as a very long, catered training day- and have fun with it!
  • Options
    Well said Woody, well said!
  • Options

Woody, I just printed off your response and I'm going to tape it to my mirror   Your words are EXACTLY what I need to repeat to myself in these last 4 weeks.  Thanks for your advice - I know I have to keep things in perspective, its just so hard as the race keeps getting closer and closer!

• Options
    Thanks Woody! I needed that before my swim today. That calmed me down and i could enjoy my swim. And i was very pleased with my time since i was able to relax.
  • Options

I know there was a lot of discussion about the new swim start format at the LP Camp.  In case you didn't see it in the Race Execution forum, there were some nice descriptions of the start and according to Coach Rich there should be a RR podcast with Dino coming out where they discuss the start.  Sounds like the new format isn't going to be as restrictive as the TT starts have been.

http://members.endurancenation.us/F...spx#148118

• Options
    It is a little reassuring knowing that I am not alone in the crazy tricks my mind has been playing on me lately. As well as some of the things people are feeling above, hungry, tired, cranky, restless, a tad bit overwhelmed; I have also been a bit emotional. Just yesterday in the grocery store shopping to cook dinner for the kids after it being the very first week I hit every scheduled workout and I was nearly in tears thinking that this week is just about a mirror image of last week. Thank goodness this is a holiday week and work will be a bit lighter.
    I know this will all be worth it in a few short weeks.
  • Options
    In Woody we trust. In case you don't know, there's really nobody who knows IMLP better. He's one of only 5-ish people who have done every edition of the race since it started back in 1999. He was also featured in the Kona coverage last year.

If he says don't worry, I feel pretty good not worrying!
  • Options
    And if Woody says worry, we're all in trouble.
  • Options

LP, a very long catered training day

Woody - right there with ride the hard parts easy the easy parts hard! Thank you!

• Options

Wow, I was feeling ok until I started reading this thread, then my heart rate started to climb to Z4 and I am still sitting at my desk at work!

bib #'s are posted today too.  2870!

• Options
    Woohoo!! #2017
    It is going to be fine on race day. A little bit of taper will do wonders. I had to cut short my ride last week to a 2.5 hour trainer ride but when I went out on the 4th, I had the best ride of the year. We are all going to feel great after next Sunday when the taper begins. Good luck everyone.