Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

So what do I wear?

It occurred to me that for IMLP, my first full distance after doing 4 HIM, I would have the opportunity in transition to change clothes! Something I've never considered before in a race.  Do a lot of people do this?  I can understand wearing my tri shorts for the swim but maybe having the option to change into my cycling bibs for the ride and running shorts for the run makes sense.  I certainly will not podium in my AG but was wondering if I would lose too much time in transition.  Comfort over time?  What's the group think on this?

Oh, and GOOD LUCK everyone, hope training is going really well for all.

-Ken- 

Comments

• Options
    No changing for me, I don't need extra moving parts.

I'll be wearing my tri kit under my wetsuit and will put a jersey over the tritop for the bike. I like the pockets for tubes & flat kit, and the sun protection on the shoulders. In 2011 I got so burned on the bike I still have a tan line where my tritop was!
  • Options
    I did not change last time I did it - tri shorts and top for the entire race, and I was fine. Will be doing that again this time. I will put on fresh socks before the run, and have spares in my run special needs bag.

I actually prefer to do long runs in tri shorts - running shorts are more likely to result in chafing for me, especially if hot and humid.
  • Options
    I didn't change at all for my first.... But at the end of the day I realized JUST how awful I smelled after peeing on the bike seven times, so I changed my shorts in T2 last year. It was worth the extra time!
  • Options
    Similar story with me. I wear my tri shorts and tri top under my wetsuit. I also wear the DeSoto Coolwings under my kit top. Then I ride my bike in them. I don't like bike shorts for an Ironman because it just seems too diaper-like to pee in them. Last yr at IMFL, after I got into the change tent in T2, I yanked my tri shorts off and replaced them with a brand new "clean" pair of the same exact tri shorts. Maybe cost me 5 seconds, but it was 5 seconds well spent.
  • Options
    Go with what you are comfortable in. If you can ride in tri shorts without any issues, then just go tri shorts, changing into run things if you want. If you want bike shorts, then wear these under your wetsuit- the pad will dry quicker than you think and the water will squish out once you sit on your bike.
  • Options
    I plan on swimming in jammers and changing to my tri shorts as I have noted abrasions during HIM distance racing which I attribute to the dampness causing friction. Run will be in the tri suit but I plan on peeing during the bike in them so I'm sure that they will be totally smelly ;-(
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to wear my tri shorts for this Saturday's RR and see how that goes.