Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

IMMT week 7/8-7/14

Swim only day is done....  2.24 miles in 1:03 ... rest of the day recovery mode

Only 6 weeks left.... its really time to  keep on those key workouts , stay focussed on recovery, make good decisions  to meet those body comp goals.... and get fired up!!!

Comments

• Options
    Going to swim at noon and out or a short run...looking ahead to race rehearsal on Saturday checking weather, making sure all gear is set and focusing on nutrition for the whole week. Weather has been in the 90's + and humid for last week it's been tough training but I sorta like it!
  • Options
    Back from a wet and foggy weekend in the mountains of Boone, NC which completely derailed my training plans. I did get one good long 3 hour hike in that I hope will help my walk/run plans, but otherwise, training wise the weekend was a bust. Grrrrr.

Good swim this morning and I'm back on track. Also looking forward to the race rehearsal this weekend and hoping the weather doesn't throw us all another curve ball!

6 weeks, ugh, Tim, my stomach sank when I read that! Eeeeek!
  • Options
    Rest day today with an hour-long massage and some chiropractic snap-crackle-pop.

Hard to believe that RR#1 is here already! 6 hours/100 miles this weekend, in lovely 100*F Texas weather! I've already got tan lines from my bike helmet on my bald-ass head! I'm going to melt!
  • Options
    OWS in the atlantic ocean today, did about 3/4 of a mile. Its been hot as hell the last several days here in NJ, but the water was 58 degrees!! Takes the breath out of you. Skipping the run, taking the kids to Great Adventure.

Nemo, I'm not too computer friendly. Can you also start a topic about race day nutrition. Would love to know what everyone is doing before, and during race day. Any expert advice from the pros out there (TIM !!!) would be helpful.

Have a great Monday everyone.
  • Options
    Also, any help please. daughters soccer tournament this weekend. My schedule is 112 bike on Sat with a 60 min run. Sunday is 90 mins on bike. No way I can do 112 on saturday due to her game times.
    Sunday will be fine . Should I then just switch it and do 90 min bike on Sat? Will that screw my RR up ? Thanks for any advice.
    Glenn
  • Options
    @Glenn....

Oh man 58 degrees is cold... I am doing the 2.4 mile Peaks to Portland swim next saturday off the coast of Maine.. Its usually pretty cold but last year was very comfy... With the heatwave we have been having I'm expecting it to be comfy again....

Reference your RR--- I would move your 90 min bike to friday , your RR swim on Saturday , and then your RR bike/run on Sunday..... Monday a day off or resume the plan but more as recovery work.... FWIW I am not a fan of back to back bike days , if I do back to back bike days I make sure one is a recovery ride like IF .60..... I bike hard tues, thurs, and saturday, when I used to bike sat/sun back to back hard I could not hit subsequent workouts and found my recovery much better on this schedule... YMMV.....

Reference the nutrition thread--- I will gladly start one and go over exactly what I do but again YMMV.
  • Options
    Glenn- you could post a Q in the Micro Thread for the coaches, but I'd say just swap those two days. You aren't necessarily supposed to be going into the RR well rested anyway and the 90 min bike isn't a biggie. Just be sure to skip the run on Monday

Race Day nutrition is a great discussion for us- especially this week since that's primarily what we need to practice on the RR. I recently read through the Wiki on Race Day nutrition and also watched the webcast. I've simplified my former nutrition plan quite a bit from prior years and I'm hoping it works out well this weekend. The one thing I haven't figured out yet is breakfast. The Core webcast recommends an applesauce based b-fast but I just can't see myself eating that. I'm more of an oatmeal kinda girl!

Anywho- here's my current nutrition plan for bike/run (keep in mind I expect to be on the bike close to 7 hours and I'm run/walking the run)

Bike: (essentially I "eat" at the top of every hour. Otherwise it's all Perform.

Powerbar Perform - 8 bottles (start with 2 on the bike, take the rest from the course)

Cliff Blocks- 1/2 Margarita and 1/2 Black Cherry (for the caffeine), 3 pcs each taken at hours 1, 3,5,7 (or 6:30- roughly 10 min before I get off the bike)

Powerbar Gel- 1-regular, 2-2x caffeine taken at hours 2,4,6

Totals= 517g CHO, 160oz H2O, 4.8g Sodium, .2g caffeine

Run/walk: (No solids, all liquid)

Gatorade Perform at every aid station

Coke at the top of every hour

Totals= 314g CHO, 128oz H2O, 3.8g Sodium, .07g caffeine

EDIT:  Just saw Tim's post- I'll copy/paste the above into the thread he is going to create.  Also- his re-work of the schedule is a good option as well if you can swing that 90 min bike on Friday.  I've only got one workday where I can do a "long" workout and that gets eaten up by the Thursday long run.

• Options
    Off day for me to recover from my Huge Tri Week. I was going to swim tonight, but as I was leaving my 9th floor office, I looked out my window and saw a freaking tornado about 8 miles to the northwest. It was mostly over the bay then briefly moved inland. I watched for 10 minutes until it fizzled out. But the sea breeze is bringing strong thunderstorms as I write this.

I have to go off plan for the next two weeks. I have been going 3 weeks hard and 1 easy for 2 cycles now. This is my easy week except for Muncie 70.3 this Saturday. I will work recovery hard but ramp up to normal by next Thursday and do my RR next weekend. The week after I will be back on plan.
  • Options
    62 minute swim in the pool after work. I did not stick to the work out, but just tried to swin the best pace I could hold for am hour. I decided to skip the run as I plan to get the run in early tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    WooHoo Paul took a day off! How did that feel? Enjoy your recovery week!

@William swimming a solid hour at best pace is the hardest swim there is!

Today.... AM 90 min bike with about 22minute of v02 time spent on hunting strava segments , that is really fun and motivates me to push..... PM run was 60 min w/ 6 x hill repeats in the neighborhood!
  • Options
    @ Tim - I spent the time last night installing latex tubes, race tires, and the rear disc cover on my bike for Muncie. Felt great this morning. One thing good about a deep base is that recovery is much shorter.
  • Options
    @Tim, nice work.

Today was a 45 minute run with two miles at zone 4. I felt strong the whole time.
  • Options
    Did my 3x1 mile intervals on the dreadmill this morning. And then I manually modified my training paces UP because even the z4 intervals seemed easy. I don't usually do running tests in Texas summer, so that's my n=1 method.

That 3400 swim was tough this afternoon. Why do RnP put the sprint sets AFTER the endurance sets. My arms feel like jello!!!
  • Options
    That 3400 swim was tough this afternoon. Why do RnP put the sprint sets AFTER the endurance sets. My arms feel like jello!!!

Oh bless you Scott, I thought I was the only one who found that particularly tough!

I just realized that I was supposed to do the Swim RR last Friday! Whoops. I guess I'll be doing that this Friday instead.
  • Options
    I do my long runs on Wednesdays, when I work from home. So I got 14 miles in a little over two hours ON THE TREADMILL!!! Yes, indoors! Not too bad actually, just mentally numbing, but hey it's good training, right?!?

My hip flexors started to ache a little towards the end a bit, probably because you have to almost "pull" the belt. I'll take it easy on the run the next few days to make sure it recovers well.

Get to ride my bike in 100*F+ today. Boy oh boy!
  • Options
    @Scott--- WTG moving up Z4 paces ... love it and don't blame you a bit for not testing... I tend not to test in season ... just monitor pace/power and adjust like you did... afterall its more about knowing sustainable pace/power for the distance in question , IMO people tend to overthink FTP, Vdot , relative to raceday..... If I had absolutely NO IDEA what FTP and Vdot were , Assuming I have a PM and Garmin watch with all my training data , I would still know my long term power/pace targets!

@Nemo--- Like I said to Scott I tend not to test in season but with swimming I feel like every long distance swim is a test LOL... Usually do one every friday pre - longride longrun sat/sun!

Today was 2 x 54 min wko's back to back , first 54min wko 3000yd swim in a pool alternated 500yd with 10 x 50 fin sets , 2nd 54 min was 7 mile track wko w/ 8 x 400m repeats , I was slower on those this week compared to last week.... maybe the swim or last nights hill repeats took it out of me....
  • Options
    100 degrees? Oh my, that's hot! It's hot and humid here too but not quite that bad. I've re-adjusted my planned route for the Race Rehearsal this weekend due to the heat. I'll do 3x2hour laps (instead of 2x3 hour) and have an opportunity to grab/refill bottles more frequently.

Had a good walk/run today. I'm able to maintain a 12-13 min/mile pace with the walk/run strategy and so far it doesn't seem to have hurt the knee. So I'm feeling pretty good about that modification.
  • Options
    @Nemo.... Awesome your walk/run strategy is working!

Today I did a 1:15 ride with 2 loops on a local sprint tri bike course...... I did the 2 loops with no rest and it ended up with a 40 min interval at NP 218 or .927.... Just for the heck of it I hit the lap button and recorded it as 2 laps.... they are identical sometimes that just amazes me... OH and it rained the whole time... but it was a warm rain!

Loop 1 20:02.9 , 7.73 miles, 23.1 mph , cad 86 , NP217 , AP 216
    Loop 2 20:02.3 , 7.7 miles , 23.1 mph, cad 86 , NP218 , AP 216

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/340865843

3 mile brick run.....

feeling pretty worked after some hard stuff tues, weds , thurs,,,, gonna take it easy tomorrow with a recovery bike , then into the Big Volume Week I go with the 2.4 OWS/ HM races on Sat/Sun!
  • Options
    @Tim... Nice work! I am also amazed at your consistency.

I hit my 2x20s during the 60 minute bike on Wednesday and hit almost all my zone 2 time yesterday during a 135 minute run. I was able to get out early both days to minimize the heat, but it was still very humid. If all goes well, I will get out of work early today for a long OWS.
  • Options
    Greetings from exciting Muncie, Indiana!

Thu Morning race prep training:
    Bike - 19 miles on the drainer easy with 4 x 5 mins at HIM race pace
    Run - 4 miles easy w 4 x 200 yards pick-ups
    Swim - 4 x 500 yards with fins, last 100 of each at race pace

Flew to Dayton, OH yesterday afternoon and drove to Muncie. Built my bike this morning and am about to do a very easy 10 mile ride and 2 mile jog. I will train harder tomorrow! image
  • Options
    @Paul.... Looking forward to see you crush Muncie!

So proud of myself as he pats himself on the back... yep I did a recovery ride @ .58 LOL ..... hard not to unleash the beast every wko but it is possible to go easy!
  • Options
    RR#1: 102 miles in hot and humid Dallas area in 5:16 (ride time) at .69IF. VI was much higher than I wanted, due to team/group regroups, but I know how to shut it down come RR#2 and especially race day.

Ideally I'd like to hit the dreadmill in a bit, but I'm not too worried because I've got a local sprint tri tomorrow to "taper" for. Haha
  • Options
    Well, I did NOT crush Muncie. I expected a strong race, but my deep strength wasn't there today, and I just felt flat all around. I pushed each leg as best I could, but only came up with 5:20:36 6/37 in my AG. I certainly can't blame it on the weather which was fantastic...even wetsuit legal water at 75.5 degrees. Only bad thing about the race was the new bike course which included 16 miles of crappy, bumpy, pothole strewn farm roads. We even had a 3/4 mile section that was so bad it was a no passing zone...and we got to do that twice. Focus now is on recovery with the goal of being back in full IM training by Thursday with one more big block to go. Lesson learned for me is that it is very tough to pop a strong half in the middle of an IM training schedule.
  • Options
    @Scott how did that sprint go?

@Paul 6th aint bad considering your volume and no taper.... your going to be fit fit fit for Sweden!!!

Got my weekend races out of the way... swam a hard 2.4 mile point to point ocean race on saturday slower than last year but my rankings went up (they said it was one of the slowest races they ever had due to the tides .... todays HM was a melt fest in the heat humidity and really required correct pacing to finish strong... ran very well and finished with a 1st place AG with a not very spectacular 1:35:xx but like I said everybody was melting and walking LOL!

Easy swim/spin planned for tomorrow then the bike volume starts this week!
  • Options
    Don't know my overall time, but it was great. It was mid-70s and lightly raining here today (in mid-July in Texas!!). Racing in that was a blast!!

Swim sucked, got out of the water with a sky high heart rate; averaged 22+ mph on the bike (mostly flat with some good rollers, nobody knows where to ride on a rough road-so I took advantage of all the good pavement I could find) and ran the whole 5k (~25mins). Running in the rain...like being a kid again! All this after 102 miles yest, I'll take it!!

@tim, "NOT a very spectacular 1:35"? I'd kill for that time in a half!!
  • Options
    Scott WTG and sounds like the weather gods sent you a gift. Yes a 1:35 is good (my pr is 1:28:35) but its not 1st place material even in the M50-54 AG unless its screaming hot and your competition can't execute lol!
  • Options
    Nice work everyone.

We had a lot of rain Friday and the weather looked sketchy for Saturday so I bumped the RR to today. Yesterday was a 2 hour ride for fun. I did not worry about anything except not being too stupid and remembering why I like riding.

RR today in the heat and humidity went well. I dialed down the watts for the first quarter and then bumped them up for each successive quarter. I felt good coming off the bike and put in a three mile run at Z1 plus 30 seconds. I decided with the heat 3 miles was enough and called it a day.

How much weight, if any, does everyone lose when gong long in the heat? I seem to lose about a pound an hour despite taking in 270 calories per hour.
  • Options

Tim- nice work on the recovery ride.  I must admit, I didn't think you had it in you!!   Congrats on the AG win at your race too!

Paul- Sounds like that HIM went about as well as anyone would expect given it's not your A race and you aren't going into it rested.  The bike course sounds awful! 

Scott- I love running in the rain in the summer too!  I have to say- on almost all my key workouts/races this year leading up to IMMT it has rained at some point.  I think I'm prepared for whatever weather IMMT brings us at this point!

William- Nice work adjusting to the changes in weather conditions.  I'll lose about 3.5-4lbs during a Race Rehearsal.  

As for me.  I also opted to move the RR to Sunday.  Woke up Sat morning and the radar showed storms moving in that were a bit sparky.  My route is completely exposed (including going over 2 bridges) so not safe at all during a T-storm.  I pulled the plug and went for a short ride with a friend in a safer area instead.  When the first bolt hit we looked at each other, nodded, and turned around to take the shortest route back home.  Got totally soaked but not fried.

RR on Sunday went better than I actually expected.  I rode faster than I expected and so the route I chose (3 loops) turned out to be 5.5 hours instead of 6.  Weather was sunny and hot (85 degrees) with the wind building throughout the day (up to 13mph/gusts around 18).  

I did NOT do a very good job sticking to my nutrition plan partially because I simply forgot that I was supposed to be "eating" every half hour and didn't correct that mistake until a good 2 hours into the ride.  Duh.  I did, however, try a banana (not part of the original plan) which went down well and felt good.  So I know I can eat one of those if needed on race day.  I'll have to pay better attention on the next RR.

I DID do a pretty good job with my pacing (power data below, please don't laugh at my tiny watts).  I had 2 friends join me at various points in the workout but made sure they rode behind me so I did all the pulling and pacing.  It worked out great.

Loop 1:

Duration:   1:48:07

Work:       562 kJ

TSS:       95.1 (intensity factor 0.726)

Norm Power: 95

VI:         1.1

Distance:   30.959 mi

Loop 2:

Duration:   1:54:36

Work:       551 kJ

TSS:       80.5 (intensity factor 0.649)

Norm Power: 85

VI:         1.06

Distance:   30.917 mi

Loop 3:

Duration:   1:54:44 (1:59:55)

Work:       533 kJ

TSS:       76.1 (intensity factor 0.631)

Norm Power: 83

VI:         1.07

Distance:   30.382 mi

I did my 3'walk/1'run plan for the 60 min run and that felt great.  Had energy, felt good, could continue swigging Powerbar Perform at will, and took my cola 1/2 way which tasted and felt great.  

Out:

Duration:   30:09 (31:19)

NGP: 11:44 (137.1 m/min)

Distance:   2.438 mi

Heart Rate:    151 bpm

Back:

Duration:   29:40 (29:54)

NGP: 12:05 (133.1 m/min)

Distance:   2.388 mi

Heart Rate:   151 bpm