Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP Race Pace Calculator

This is probably just a minor detail but the EN Racing Calculator in wiki has a different format than the 2010 version.  No more "gears" and the new calculator uses 75% FTP for the majority of the race.  Do we need to dial down the watts to 70% or just go with 75%?  

Also, the gears from the old version seemed useful as a way to manage climbs and a mental check to stop me from going too hard when I was feeling good. The table from the old calculator was also nice to tape onto my aerobars. 

What is everybody else doing?

Comments

• Options
    Yes - I noticed that. I think the one you are talking about might be from the power webinar or other power files. That is the one that I am using, and have the "gears" taped to my aerobars. I'm wondering if the wrong file is being linked to in the wiki.
  • Options

Perfect timing for this question. I am new to power, having gotten a Quarq just a month ago. But, I would like to have an idea of power for IMLP, and I was planning to tape something to my bars. I was just getting online to find the file when I saw this! So, can anyone give me the definitive EN link to the Lake Placid power percents. I was hoping for a section-by-section suggestion for power over the course. Thanks!

• Options
    @George go to the micro forum and find Joe's IMLP Watts something or other. or click on me as I asked him in that thread the same question. He responded with the excel file which you can download and compute your 4 gears.
  • Options
    It's Joe Manning
    Joe's IMLP target Watts planning in the micro thread
  • Options

@Robert. Thanks but I can't find it. Was it in the screencast of Joe's RR?

• Options
    see if this link works

EN_Power_Racing_Calculator_Manning_IMLP.xls

I don't know how to make it so you just click on it. I also don't know how to better guide you to his question. Coach P just responded to him so you could also check Forum under Not Read.
  • Options
    @kate there is no section by section pace recs. but look at the gear chart.
  • Options

@Robert Yeah.  I found it. Yes, Joe Manning's calculator is the one from 2010. Since that's the one Patrick evaluated I'll go with it and use 70% FTP.  Plus I like the "gears" table to tape on the aerobars. The Wiki calculator used 75% FTP which seems more like an HIM effort and give watts for the 1st hour, then every 60 min, then last 30 min. Both are customizable but the wiki version does not have the gears table.

@Kate. Since IMLP has so many hills the JM calculator would be easiest to use given the variability of geography.  I hope that help.

@All If you reply to a message by clicking "reply" with the little green arrow above the message a window will come up with several customizable option, such as Hyperlink manager. You just won't be able to see the message you are replying to.

• Options
    @George and Robert: Thank you. Yes, I think that will help. I will attach the gear chart to my aerobars, but I know it will be tough to figure out how to average those numbers on the terrain at IMLP.
  • Options

Sorry, on a plane with limited bandwidth to download stuff so I can't sort out whatever spreadsheet you guys are looking at...very late in the game, I might add    

Short answer:

• See the Ironman How-To in the Wiki, Race Execution section.
    • See our IF and VI guidance, by projected bike split
    • Do your best to not go more than 10% over your goal watts, if possible, given hill grade, etc
    • Set up your bike computer so that you have current, average, and Pnorm watts all easily visible, so you can sorta ballpark VI as you go.