Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Canada
Options

Official Ironman Canada Sign In Thread

Welcome to the Ironman Canada Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options

Robin Sarner.  male.   6-6.   182 pounds.    Tacoma, Washington state.

Had rough Texas 5/13.            Hope to make the show sometime.            Ninth time may be the charm in Canada.

Wife Lisa Watson racing too.

• Options
    Hey team EN members. Looking forward to my third full IM race this August in beautiful Whistler. Hope to see you all there.
  • Options
    Anyone up for training in July for this race in August? I'll be up there for 5 days at the of July.
  • Options
    we be there weekend july 19/20
  • Options
    Hey gang!
    My husband, Danny Stevens, and I are in for Whistler. It'll be our second IM. First was CDA 2013. We haven't done a bit of training this week and it's been great! Thinking about getting back on the bike tomorrow. I finished CDA in 13:08... slow/typical swim, good bike, slow run, and am hoping to go under 13 at Whistler. I'll probably come up with some better goals in the next few weeks. Happy training all!
  • Options
    Hello to Canada Peeps, Eh?!?

I'm in. This will be my fourth IMC, obviously the first in Whistler. PR is 11:35, goals are execution oriented but looking to take about 20' of my run, specificially. Will be there August 10-11 for a RR and on race day my hubby will be on the swim course with our boat as a marshal.

Looking forward to the EPIC scenery and seeing some bears at a safe distance.

Let's DO THIS!
  • Options

Hi everyone (and hi again to returning IMC participants from last year).

Yes, I know there is no picture and have been challenged getting it uploaded.

After Penticton last year I did not think I was going to do another ironman. I did go to the long course world chamopinships in France a few weeks ago and my performance was not how I wanted to end my long course career so upon my return to Canada I snagged a spot for Whistler from our local event which had some spots. So I loaded up the IM plan and actually had my first back-to-back rides last weekend and now have 6 good weeks ahead of me.

Anyhow, this will be my 6th IMC, I live on Vancouver Island which is kind of in the backyard of Whistler and yet still so far away given I still have to take ferry.

I hope to get out there for some training maybe even for RR Jenn.

• Options
    Hi Everyone,
    This IM will be my 6th (AZ, Japan, Lou, Regensberg, CDA). Thrilled to be racing in my favorite town. I live in Olympia, WA, about 7 hrs drive up to Whistler. I have been there many times to ski, but never during summer, so hoping to get up there and ride the course before the race No specific time goal, maybe 12:30. Hoping to have a better / stronger bike time.

It would be wild if we really see some bears, Jenn!

Looking forward to meeting with you all!
  • Options
    Hey Folks!

Doing my 4th IM and 1st in Whistler (Obviously, as Jenn mentioned image

To say I fear how the ride is going to affect my run is an understatement. My last IMC in Penticton in 2010, I PR'd by an hour because of ride execution the TeamEN way. I swapped out my rear 11/23 for a 12/25 but kept 53/39 up front - but that was on the Penticton course where you spent the last 30 km pretty much cruising downhill and soft pedaling.

The ride in Whistler is CONSIDERABLY different - the ride back from Pemberton back to Whistler is... umm... how shall we say .... redonkulous. I just rode it yesterday and despite being in probably my best bike shape, the hills without compact crank will DEFINITELY cause issues for the run I think.

First order of business this week is to get organized to go compact up front. I was looking at my data and I was barely able to turn 60 RPMs for all the climbs coming home. This was after a good ABP effort on the way back during the flats but still, it wasn't fun.

I'm up there again July 26th for the weekend if anyone is going to be up there!

cheers
    Tavis

p.s. - here's recon article from one of the guys from "the other coaching place" image
    http://triathlonmagazine.ca/2013/07/sections/training/ironman-canada-whistler-bike-course/

• Options
    Thanks tavis. We'll be there this coming wwwekend.
  • Options
    I will be up there this weekend with another EN'er Linda Johnson. Since it's a loop, I think we will have to do the entire course which will be over 6 hrs for me. Does anyone know if there are any stores along the way to buy water bottles? We won't have any support, so will have to carry everything. Robin, are you guys planning to do the entire course?
  • Options
    Hi did the course this past weekend - Whoo..hot! Anyway..here's what I suggest - luckily we had a sag, but in Aug we won't so I was thinking about this very thing...

Basically - if you leave the village and go to the start - long way is 7 miles..then start from Rainbow park and follow the course...by mile 35 or so you are back in village - take opportunity to refill.

2) next stop is at the turn to Pemberton Medows..Gas Station on Left - Vistor Center on Right. there are other places but that seemed like a good re-group / refill.

3) do out / back...and STOP again before climbing back to Whistler - this is your ONLY chance before the 20 mile climb. Took us close to 1:45-2 hours to climb back.

FYI - pemberton medows area gets deceptively HOT. The heat off of the new pavement was up to 90 degrees.

Have Fun
    Ann
  • Options
    Yep - There's a couple spots you can refuel...

For the first section leaving Whistler, you'll head South to Callahan Valley and then have to turnaround to come back north through Whistler - so around 60km or so, there's a Nestor's Market on the opposite side of the highway that you'll be travelling towards Pemberton.   As you get into Pemberton, there's a Petro Canada Gas Station as well as a bike shop with water cooler which you'll hit around 95km before you hit the flatlands out to the turnaround.   So when you come back - you'll be able to hit that same Petro Can or Bike Store again at 145km and then you'll arrive back in Whistler village.

Hope this makes sense!  Lemme know if questions!
  • Options
    Yasko. Will do at least everything but the flat 30 miles. May do the whole thing if feel good. Plan on bottle refilling at t2 where we are staying. Maybe do dinner out together saturday night? Husband coming?
  • Options
    Thanks, Ann and Tavis. I will look at the map and figure out what we are going to do.

Robin, dinner sounds great. I will PM you my cell#, etc. Ryan is not coming. Busy with house work. His IM is not until IMAZ.
  • Options

my phone   253  229  5488

wife lisa watson  253  777 9709

• Options
    Just got back from RR at Whistler. Wow, what a gorgeous course. The scenary is absolutely beautiful, and OMG, the ride from Pemberton back to the village was TOUGH!!! It was windy and hot, and I got into trouble almost 5k before the steady climb ended. I just started feeling not great and dizzy (and big DNF crossed my mind for the first time in my life), and had to stop. A nice coach following his athletes in his truck stopped and gave me a cold bottle of water and after pouring it on my head and chest, I felt better and was able to finish. I was pacing throughout the course, but was under the needed calorie a bit (1100 cal for a little over 6 hrs, my goal is to take 200 cal/hr). I felt strong up until then, and am usually unaffected by heat, so not exactly sure what happened... I will have to make sure to keep myself cool, and prob. need some gels before the climb start. My other issue was downhill in the wind. There were long downhills to Pemberton and I braked a lot probably more than I needed. I know I just needed to relax, but as soon as wind sways me, I get so scared.

I am glad I rode the course. Now I know what to expect, and feel that I need to do even more hills on the weekends! I can see people DNF'ing this race if you don't pace yourself during the bike due to the comb. of climbs and heat (and wind).
  • Options
    Yasko- your story is much like mine last weekend! That heat from the meadows sneaks upon you!!! Glad someone came to your rescue and that you had the learnings!! I agree there could be a lot of Dnf from that last 20 miles!! GLAD you got through it!!!
  • Options

Hey everyone, this will be my 8th IM, and more importantly, my comeback race after a disasterous IMTX. It's been a tough year and I'm hoping to finish the season strong.  I'm looking forward to racing this course after my RR on site last weekend, and in particular to see what I can do on the run. I have a feeling the first 3 uphill miles of the run will punish a lot of people who took it too hard on the 20 mi home from Pemberton.  

No specific time goals since it's a first time race and conditions could be anywhere from a calm 60 to a windy 90, but a stretch goal would be to break 1/6/3:30.

• Options
    Hi there!

My husband John and I are both on our way to IMC. This will be my first IM, John's second (IMWI last year). I have really been "enjoying" the training, love the challenge, love letting EN do so much thinking for me!

My goals are to take in the day, try to remember and execute what I've learned and enjoy the scenery!

See y'all soon!
  • Options
    Just rode the course for RR yesterday and it was for once a perfect day without wind and not crazy hot. Felt great coming back from Pemberton to the climbs but really had to dial it back for last 20miles as my right quad started "cramp twitching" once I hit the long powerline climb - Agh. Got back into town taking it very easy but my run was terrible - legs felt like lead and quick turnover was a foreign concept.

I'm almost thinking I have to back off at least 30minutes (6:15 to 6:30 instead of 5:45 to 6:00) for ride time to have enough gas for the run - the last 20miles of climbing is going to really kick people's asses if they don't execute well.
  • Options
    Yep it was a pretty good day. It definitely is a difficult course and the last 20mi will kick. I found it very hard to stay any where near my target wattage on the final climb, always 10-20watts to high just to keep moving.  I being a couple of months from being 54yrs old should not have done such a hard rr course 2 weeks out, should be a taper course.....
  • Options

I want the middle of the podium, which will require a perfect day...and when does that ever happen in an ironman.   So, I'll be lucky to get on the thing. 

Hopefully the beauty will inspire us during the last ten miles of the run. 

From San Luis Obispo, Ca, no kids, three dogs and only one husband.  I own a bakery cafe called House of Bread and have 9 franchises.   I love beer and bread, so this last couple of weeks is extra hard to stay lean.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and having "fun" on the day.  

• Options
    Bring it Sheila!
  • Options
    Hey all-
    Yes.... late to the party-
    This will be my first Ironman. Training was going well about 5 weeks ago when I had a bike wreck and broke off a portion of shoulder blade.
    All ability to train came to a complete halt.
    So.... Im showing up, was able to actually swim a mile this week, getting a few bike and run miles in the past few weeks... so I beleive i am going to attempt to go through the motions and see if can acheieve what has been a goal for years and years....
    -and go through a day of suffering as this was not how I intended my debute.
    Hope to meet some folks that can offer advice on survival.
  • Options
    Ok ronn. Calm and steady.