Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

Week 10

A couple of interesting things have happened to me this week that might be interesting to others.

The first is that after the weekend's work, I can into monday's swim and FAILED. Not enough sleep over the weekend and too much work. So I swam about 1/2 the set and just got out of the pool. I was afraid that I was buried and would need a couple of days to dig out. On tuesday, I do my interval run in the morning and sometimes swim at lunch. I hit all my paces over a 70min run (I only run 3x per week so I beef them up a little. My achillies need a day off between runs or they get ugly) and then decided to just get in the pool and swim. 1500M PR by 30 sec and then anothe 1000M of more traditional shorter sets.

Wednesday I am up too late again and when the alarm goes off I decide to sleep and miss the FTP bike session. But by lunch, I am fine and ended up doing the work indoors on a spin bike.

To me, as a first time IM'er, the big take away is that I need to get enough sleep. Period. And I need to flex workouts around sleep. Right now, my plan is to keep "sleeping in" on wednesdays and sundays. Just till 7. My hope is that will be enough to make up for the rest of the week.

Comments

• Options
    @Jimmy.... nutrition is the 4th discipline and rest/recovery is the 5th! Just keep asking yourself you feel and compare it to how your performing. Adjust as necessary....

I'm starting to feel pretty good now... yesterday got in 35min FTP work havent tested in a while and probably wont but guessing about 5 watts lower than last known FTP , this am 2.3 mile OWS not much slower than my best training sesssions pre-crash (did I really break my clavicle?) , of all things my run is coming back the slowest but got in 7.4 miles today and can feel the speed coming back.. should be able to add some intervals to the runs next week.
  • Options
    Tim - There is nutrition and then there is race fueling. 4 and 4a. My learnings thus far on IM vs HIM prep are:
    Race Fueling: if it is over an hour, fuel it. Caffinated gels work well for me. And the caffine makes a real difference. For HIM I went to the caffinated gel right out of the gate. I would get home from the 3hr rides ready to play with the kids and go. BUT I dont think that will work over 12 hrs. So I am trying to push the caffineated gels farther into the weekend rides. The core diet work up I had done suggests that I stay away from caffine till about the 4hr mark on the bike.
    On nutrition - I am staring to keep healthy snacks on hand at all times - apples, cheese sticks, almonds. I am finding that I will go from just fine one minute to shaking ravenous the next and if I dont have a good easy food choice available I will make a bad easy food choice.
  • Options
    Thursday long run and friday swim in the books. For the weekend, I am going to move the run to sunday and do it after the bike. I will also stretch it out by another 15min. It takes my joints a while to get moving and rolling right out of bed and running for 35min would be a waste as it takes me 15min just to shake the kinks out. But off of the bike I am ready to go.
    I will also do the first 30min of saturday's ride on the trainer as it will still be dark and this will allow me to drink coffee and warm up at the same time. Then I have a good 3hr loop from my house that I will ride for the intervals.
    Sunday I am sleeping in till 7. Got a hall pass to train till 11 so I will head straight out after the alarm goes off. The sleep is really becoming important. I am finding that I can "wake up" while pedaling the Z1 warm up on the bike just fine.
    Hope everyone is having a great week.
  • Options
    @Jimmy sounds like a good plan.

Yesterday got in a 30min OWS , 1:20 bike with lots of V02, and 2 mile brick, today was a swim only after PT appt... 2500yds as 5 x 500.... then rest up for the weekend
  • Options
    Pool closed all week so no swims. Thursday LR was much tougher due to temp/humidity vs. last week. Ready to go get some long rides in this weekend!

I can't get going so quickly in the morning -- up at 4:30am today for a 6am start -- can generally get by with an hour but 1:30 is ideal.  It means hitting the sack a bit earlier which is becoming easier with training load and the days getting shorter...

• Options
    Saturday went off with only a slight hitch. 2.5hrs in I lost the FD because I had not charged the DI2 battery. Still the 5x20 went well and I was home on time.
    Jeff - the toughest part about the "fast start" for me is putting off bathroom till after...
  • Options
    @Jeff bummer about the pool ... it drives me crazy when I show up at the YMCA and its closed for maintenance... of course they post in advance but I never pay attention...dont mind the shorter days its the cooler temps in those early and late hours that really make training for IMFL difficult... I will end up on the trainer on those really cool mornings...

@Jimmy... Love my DI2...last year RR lost the FD at the midway point around 50-60miles ... I had no idea it was the battery, used a stick to adjust the FR to the big ring and kept riding, lost the RD at 95miles and had a single speed for the last 15 miles.... Charged battery and Oh yeah read the directions... Now I charge once a month or before Races and check the signal lights.

Got in a great 4hr ride today at a new PB of NP181 (with last hour being the highest) , around .76-.78 depending on FTP which I just adjusted downward from 235 to 230.... 2 mile brick afterwards.... feeling strong on the bike again but a little tentative out there since my crash , with traffic , ruts, potholes, ended up giving me a slower time than last time I rode same route with less watts LOL.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/364265851
  • Options
    Tim - that is a solid ride. Especially given your weight. You are pretty light right?

3hr ABP at NP of 176. Which is about IF of .82. Then 45min run at 8:54 pace which is about HIM pace. So it basically ended up being the middle 2/3 of a HIM.
    Tomorrow is a light day for me. short swim set and that is it. Gonna do some squats tonight to blow my legs out he rest of the way. Gotta start thinking about the logistics of big training day next saturday.
  • Options
    I managed 114 miles this weekend.  Today's 50 was always into the wind no matter which direction we turned.  Now I have to manage to  put it all together in one day.
  • Options
    @Jimmy .... yep I'm a lightweight.... around 122-23 right now and like to race 120 or less.... What are you crazy doing squats?

@Blake ... Nice mileage this weekend...

Yesterday's wko's ... early am 1.2mile OWS went very well..... longrun later not so much , since my crash the swim has come back faster than expected , the bike about as expected and my run is really confusing me , I did hit the hip pretty good and had a hard time walking for about a week in my hip flexors , I feel good now but when I run distance my right quad into the ITB and hip tighten up and shuts me down to a walk , once this happens I find it hard to start running again.... later in the day I feel fine again... when it happened yesterday I walked a few times and didnt feel better when running, then I tried a few stretches of grabbing my right foot with my left hand behind me and stretching the quad by pulling the right foot upwards and towards the left side of my body, Ah magice release , I think I figured it out since this allowed me to run 1/2 mile before having to stretch again... Will keep working that stretch.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/364934085