Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Wetsuit legal or not.....

I just looked at some of the temperature readings for Lake Monona....  today was 76deg or so at the surface and not much cooler until you get 10m down (http://www.infosyahara.org/temp_monona).  And then the USGS site has it at 78deg this morning (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?05429000)

So what's the thinking?  Wetsuit legal?  Or will it be greater than 76.2deg meaning that if you wear a wetsuit (a) you will be pretty darn warm, and (b) you can't podium/KQ.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Comments

• Options
    Well if we all go out with a bucket of ice each....

Madison did just have a heat wave so of course that boosted the temp, but unfortunately temps won't be dropping too much this week. I guess it is one of those control what you can control situations (hence why we all team up with the ice- ;-) ). Yes, a wetsuit is magical, but if that isn't in the cards, I'm sure we'll all survive just fine.
  • Options

So, from what I can tell, the temp reading is coming from Brittingham Bay - approximately 7 feet deep.  The depth in front of the terrace is 35-40 feet - so definitely cooler.  I'm sure the race director will be looking for the coolest spot on the course.    It's going to be warm this coming week (77-87 degrees) without much chance of rain but night time temps of 49 tonight and 56-64 the rest of the week.

While this isn't relevant to whether the temps are wetsuit legal, I've been swimming in a sleeveless wetsuit (love my new Roka wetsuit) and my legs have been a little warm but otherwise I've been very comfortable.

• Options
    I think Im the only one that is actually hoping its over 76....I love swimming without my wetsuit and when a big ol guy swims over me in his wetsuit it tends to have a negative effect on my day. Just sayin' image
  • Options
    Update - swam this am - don't know what the exact temp is but it's definitely warmer that about 1.5 weeks ago - most of the group had full wetsuits - didn't ask if they were comfortable but i couldn't imagine not having a sleeveless (but I get warm quickly).  hopefully the cooler night temps bring the water temps down a little.