Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Garmin 910XT for IM Race

Hi all.  Ok, a super tactical question for racing IM with the Garmin 910XT.  Here's how I plan to use the watch on race day:

SWIM

- Hit Start when cannon goes off.  

- Alert set at halfway point (2112 yards); hit Lap so can see swim split in post race review.

At swim exit, switch mode from OWS to OTHER (this is my main question ... I have been using Other to track Transition time.  Is there any benefit to hitting Lap here or Stop?

BIKE

- Switch from Other to Bike mode at mount line.

- Hit lap at start of first loop (corner of Whalen & Old PB)

- Hit lap at start of second lap.

- Hit lap at start of return stick.

- At bike dismount, switch mode from Bike to Other

RUN

Switch from Other to RUN

Is there any value in capturing run splits at either mile markers or aid stations for post race review (my first IM).

Finish Line: Hit Stop!!!!!!!!

Yes, a very tactical topic, but would love any thoughts if i'm over-thinking this topic or ideas to consider.

Thanks,

Chad

- Will the watch battery have enough juice to go for 14 - 17 hours?

Comments

• Options
    Chad - I take it from your question that you have never used the Auto Multisport mode.... It is worth checking out and practicing. Once you enable it, all you have to do is hit:

Start - when cannon goes off

Lap - when entering T1

Lap - when leaving T1

Lap - When entering T2

Lap - when leaving T2

Lap - **AFTER** crossing the finish line (You don't want your finish photo with you looking at your watch. Trust me.)

All your normal alerts and auto laps will still work. The only function that doesn't work in Multisport Mode (that I am aware of) is Auto Pause.
  • Options
    The watch battery will last, no problem - charge it the night before.

You manual sport switching plan offers you the ability to insert laps in the individual sports, but requires a lot of thought when switching, you may or may not have the necessary brain power in an IM to do that at any given moment. I do the auto-multisport thing. with no auto laps on swim, autolap every 10 miles on the bike, and every mile on the run. All I need to remember is Hit Start, Lap going in and out of T1,T2 and Stop. Just my $.02.

Good luck!

• Options
    You can use the Auto Multisport feature of the watch. I wouldn't worry about all the lap capturing. What's the saying? "Slow is smooth. Smooth is Fast!"

NOW:
    Set it up: Go to MODE/Training/Auto Multisport. Make sure 1/2/3 are OWS/Bike/Run and "Include Transitions" is checked.

AT 10-15 BEFORE SWIM START
    Prepare: Go to MODE/Training/Auto Multisport. Select "Start Multisport" and hit ENTER button. (It won't actually start yet)

SWIM
    - Hit "Start" when cannon goes off.
    - Hit "Lap" at Swim Exit (start of transition).

Bike
    - Hit "Lap" at Bike Start (end of transition).
    - Hit "Lap" at Bike end (start of T2).

Run:
    - Hit "Lap" at Run Start (end of transition).
    - Hit "Lap" at Finish Line. (It will say Multisport Complete")

It's simple. "Start" at start, and "Lap" at each transition.

Yes, I had plenty of battery left after CdA using this.

NOTE! Make sure and update the software on your watch! There was an issue with switching from swim to bike that they fixed post-CdA.

Regards,
    Greg
  • Options
    Highjack alert: Last time I started my 305 coming out of T2 for the run. It took almost 2 miles to sync. Yes, I had synched it earlier, but shut it off to be sure I could use it on the run. This time I also have a 910XT. Can I leave it on in T2 so it will be ready? T's are inside. Will it search all day for satelites and be dead when I need it? I think it will be OK, but hope someone has done it.
  • Options
    I agree with the above. Use AutoMulti. Just hit lap before each new thing, t1, bike, t2, run.

The one and only draw back to this is really for power users. Auto Multi means laps within the bike segment. If you want a NP for say every 15' "box", you can't get it. So, I use my 510 on the bike. I put it on there in the AM and then leave it on while I run off. I keep the 910 on my wrist and just ignore it during the ride, but its a good back up if I have Garmin 510 issues during the race... Which I had a CdA.

Question - Why do you want an alert at the midway point of the swim? Is the course two loop? Out and back? Don't each of those have a natural midway point?