Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Riding Some of the Course on Friday

So, not all of us got a chance to pop into Wisconsin and scout the course.

Saw the webinar and I'd like to ride a few of the sections that Rich mentioned.  Witte (32mile'ish) thru Garfoot (38mile'ish) and Bourbon (38ish) thru Whalen (55ish).  That's after driving the stick and the first part of the loop.  So, that looks like about 45' driving and about 1 hr riding, 2hrs total, give or take.

Fri looks like this, correct me if I'm wrong...

8-9 EN Swim, 10:30 EN 4Keys Talk,  2pm Athlete Briefing*  (Is this a mandatory/necessary attendance?), and then the course drive/ride.

That's a full day.  If we can skip the Athlete Briefing, then there's plenty of time.  But, is that an option?  Saturday has a Athlete Briefing scheduled at 2, but it's outside as opposed to Friday's inside version.  I was hoping to be back at the hotel with my feet up by then on Saturday so not really excited about the idea of hanging around all day Saturday.

One more thing...and the main reason I'm posting this....not sure yet, but if any of you guys do this drive/ride on Friday afternoon, I 'might' need a ride/carpool.  My wife may have some volunteer meetings to go to and she'll get the rental if that's the case.  She's still scoping out that stuff.  She plans on helping me/us out with the drive/ride unless a volunteer captain says she needs to be somewhere for a meeting at that time.

thoughts?

Comments

• Options

Your schedule on Friday is exactly as I was picturing it.  I think the athlete briefing is worthwhile since there is always some course adjustment or safety issue that pops up and is good to be aware of.  I am up for riding some of the course on Friday.  I will have a small renatal car, but we should be able to get a couple of bikes in there.  Let me know if that sounds doable.

• Options
    Sue Chapman has room in her SUV to take people out on Friday. I would contact her.
  • Options

I have one spot on my bike rack left (could probably get a third bike in the back if someone wants to take their front tire off.  I was planning on going out onto the course after the 4 Keys talk as I'm going to the athletes dinner so need to be back home by 4:00.

Just FYI - If you drive out there, you'll either be back-tracking to your car (doing the hills both ways) or riding the full loop (40 miles).

• Options
    Are they no longer doing the athlete's briefing at the race dinner Friday night? Seems silly to have you go downtown for the briefing and then again for the dinner a couple hours later...
  • Options
    Sue, you can take my 3 bike rack.
  • Options
    @Rich: They are doing Athlete Briefing multiple times (Thurs 2pm, Fri 10am and 2pm, Sat 2pm) this year. I am guessing WTC wants to have more athletes attend the briefing, especially those that skip the Friday dinner.
  • Options
    Sat 2p would be best, roll it in w dropping off bike. Or someone goes on Friday and updates the team here in the forum with need to know items
  • Options
    I would like to ride the course also, but do not have a driver. My bike rack can fit 3 bikes. If someone has a driver, I do not mind letting them drive my truck.
  • Options
    Craig - I've got a spot for you. Perhaps a few of us can caravan out there...
  • Options
    I'm going to do everything I can to make the THURS 2pm Athlete Briefing.

This would free up all of Fri afternoon to ride and leave Sat afternoon free to chill.

I expect that Sheri will be my chauffeur in our rented Impala. No bike rack, just throwing my bike in the back seat. If she is tied up with a volunteer meeting, I will beg/pay for a ride. I'll know more about her vol expectations in a day or two.

Looks like a chance to fully utilize GROUP ME for meetups/caravans/ride in small groups.