Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

Road Tack Plan Anyone?

I have finally read a few IM Louisville race reports and now see why slots are still open weeks before the race.  The locals throwing tacks on the road is a significant deterrent. Is there a master plan for the road tacks other than taking extra tubes?

Comments

• Options

George - extra tubes can't hurt (says the woman who caught 4 flats in the last 2 weeks...).  If I remember correctly, the tack issue was an issue the first year and again last year. In both cases, they were thrown out by some locals upset by the disruptions caused by the race.  I do remember reading that they caught the guys who were responsible last year and that local law enforcement was planning on stepping up this year (can't remember where, maybe on ST?).  There are obviously no guarantees, but I figure if it happens again, it'll be cleared up by the time I roll around ...

I will just add that the locals I interacted with and the volunteers are absolutely fantastic at this race.  I hope the tacks don't rear their ugly heads again to ruin the reputation of a fantastic race.

• Options
    @George, I may be biased as my wife grew up in Louisville, but I definitely don't thing the whole tack situation reflects the majority of the peeps I see on the side of the road on game day. Last year, the volunteers told me about the tacks while I was at bike special needs, but I didn't see any on the road or any bike carnage due to flats. ~95% of the bike route is on fairly well trafficed roads, so I think anything thrown out would be cleared up rather quickly (or there would be tons of cars with flats since the route is open to traffic).

Personally, I don't think Louisville sells out due to the lack of wetsuit during the swim and for the heat/humidity on the run NOT the rumored tack situation.

I won't be changing my gear plan. I carry 1 tube, 2 CO2 catridges, and a patch kit on the bike. I have extra stuff in my bike special needs bag just in case.
  • Options
    Thanks Roy. That's reassuring.
  • Options

In case anyone was wondering I saw no evidence of road tacks at IMLou.  But, someone painted a crossed out sign over "ironman" on hte road Friday during my Bike Recon.  It was over painted for the race.