Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

Week 12 - Test Week - Shift to Race Focus

Will get off to a poor start - Y is closed tomorrow for Labor Day so will miss the swim.

Wish everyone well this week and appreciate the handful of you posting your comments -- it is keeping me motivated!!

Comments

• Options
    I'll start swimming this coming week, maybe start riding as well. I'll do some running starting the week of Sept 9th.
  • Options
    did my bike test today. It fit my schedule better having the day off from work to do it today. 95 degrees was not optimal but what the hell. Picked up 4 whole watts over a 25mi TT that I raced in july.
    I think that I may have botched the test a bit though. I hit the VO2 max section a bit too hard I think as it ended up testing at 133% of my new FTP.
    Oh well. close enough. If nothing else I am changing up the training with a week of higher intensity and lower vol. I don't really think that I will change my paces or target watts at this point.
  • Options
    No pools open today in Central GA. I raced in a 10k which was probably stupid since I did my big tri day yesterday. I had already committed to the race when we change our big day. I just treated it as a long run and ran it in zone 2. Right off the bat, I had problems breathing today with a lot of tightness in my chest. Never had that problem before. After two miles, I turned to survival mode and started doing a run/walk method. I received some advice as to how to really use this method from a friend who has run multiple marathons. I ended up just missing my goal but I did finish at the run pace I was using on my Big Tri day. The big take-away is that now I have a plan for if the wheels come off during the marathon at IMFL. Tuesday is a rest day and then back to the bike on Wednesday.
  • Options
    @Jeff and Blake looks like all the pools are closed! Glad the lake is still open and can't believe I am swimming without a wetsuit in Sept in NH.

@Jimmy and FTP bump in the middle of summer HUGE! nicely done.

Yesterday I got in 1.2 mile swim , 14.5 miles run as 1:30 in the am and 32min in the evening..... Today 1.8 miles swim only day!
  • Options
    I had a busy weekend .....5k test @ 85F & 90% RH...ouch...ows swim....& 2 rides....yesterday turned into an ez day taking the dog for a nice hike....bike test on thur @ our local tri club 30k TT...will fill in the other days w/runs & ows swim
  • Options

Im not gonna run test this week. With the temps changing so much from day to day in south texas right now I just dont think it would be the best use of a run session. So instead today I ran 90min with 2x.5mi Z4 and 2x1mi Z4. The rest was at LRP. 9.5mi. So far, I am only running 3x per week. 90min on tuesday, 120min on thursday and 45min off the bike on sunday. I might be able to add a little time off of the bike on wednesday as well. And I can stretch tuesday and saturday a bit as well. Hope it will be enough!

I hit the pool at lunch but witout much ambtion.

• Options
    There was a reason why I had trouble breathing during my 10K on Monday.  I had the beginning of a respiratory infrection.  After a steroid shot and antibiotics, the tightness in my chest is going away.  Took a rest day yesterday and I am going to modify the rest of the week.  Should be back on schedule by the weekend.  If a week is going to be screwed up because of illness, I guess testing week is the time for it to happen.
  • Options
    Bike test yesterday, while no increase since last test was still a minor victory. Thought I must have lost some but pulled it together. I think the Sunday and Monday off was a mini taper so I was extra fresh.

276 / 242 (230 @ 95%). Run test is the really interesting one...
  • Options

I was feeling bold and decided to try my first full 60' FTP test instead of the 5'/20' one I always do.  tough ride, but I enjoyed it.   I was encouraged at how accurate the 5'/20' test is, actually. 

I ended up with an increase of 5 watts from my 20'  test 4 weeks ago.  more importantly, I snaked a long Strava segment I've been coveting for some time

Question:  would you guys use your Avg power or your nPower from a 60' test?  They are pretty close as my nPower was only 6w higher, but i'm just curious.  I would think Avg power would be more reflective, but I know the EN calculator for the 20' test uses nP.

Thanks!

• Options
    @Greg -- not sure on the PA vs. PNorm. That is cool to see that the 5/20 test was close.

Swim session felt very good tonight. Wasn't 100% sure where to target the first/last interval on the 50's and 100's relative to T-pace. The final 50's were at T-pace less 8" and the final 100's were about the same (like t-pace less 6").

Again, think the lighter load this week (just bike test thus far) is a big reason. Hoping run legs are around tomorrow for the test.
  • Options
    @Greg - I use Pnorm but for me it wont matter that much because I do not have the skill to pick a watt and stay on it.

Did the usual mid week ftp bike today. was a bit flat after doing the bike test on monday. snuck an extra 10min in the pool after. Gonna do a 2h run with the intervals from last week or the week before tomorrow. I have to travel some next week and my vol will be down so I figure I will keep it up this week while I am able.
    Are we 8 weeks out? yikes. At any given minute of the day I am second guessing my training in each sport. Confident in my ability to change clothes quickly though. So I have that going for me.
  • Options
    @Greg... nice on the 60min test , I have done those the 5/20 and the 2x20 and find them all within a couple watts.... Use NP for calculating your FTP and zones .... NP is what it felt like to your body to complete that ride.... but keep in mind it is the AP that actually moves you down the road.... that is why its important when racing to try for low VI...The only time I actually pay attention to AP is on the short v02 intervals.

I'm not testing this week but pretty happy with my FTP bike and run intervals.... yesterday did 1.2mile OWS, 1:30 bike with 43min FTP work, 4 mile easy run with strides, and today 1.2 mile OWS and 8 mile run with 3x1 @ Z4ish.
  • Options
    2hr run with 15min z2 and 2x15min z3 (5). This is my 4th week of the thursday 2hr run. Thefirst week I covered 12.2mi. Today I covered 12.95. After a month, I am a bit less slow.
    Gonna try and sneak into the pool at some point. gotta work over lunch. Reality es no bueno.
  • Options

Posted By jimmy augustine on 04 Sep 2013 09:02 PM

At any given minute of the day I am second guessing my training in each sport. Confident in my ability to change clothes quickly though. So I have that going for me.

LOL!  I like that quote, Jimmy!  So funny and true.  When I finish an 80 mile ride now all I can think is "I'm exhausted...how the hell am I going to ride another 30 and then drop a marathon??"  But, I learned in my first IM to just trust the plan and it all comes together on race day.
  • Options
    I am doing Prairie Man half this Saturday in Dallas! so I am packing up stuff right now... so I disregarded most of this week's training!!! that is one way to slack!! ha. sorry I haven't been posting too much... will do better!!! let me see if I can figure out a pic... m
  • Options

well that took way too long to upload a pic!! but last Friday I did the big day,, I ran 5 miles at 4 a.m., then I swam 2200 and was back home by 6:30 to get my kdis up for school, then starting at 8, I rode 100 miles ending in 100 degrees!!! I was whooped!!! but for lunch I stopped at a rural town and I was HUNGRY!!! so ate all of this!! no it won't be on the Ironman course.... but okay!
  • Options
    Here is why I enjoy the training!!!!  the scenery.  Hope everybody stays safe and healthy!!
  • Options
    busy week around here....long run tues and 30k TT last nite....I used the TT as my power test...not thrilled with the result but onward we go....ows tonite and a couple long bikes this wkend....

@ MP nice photos....burger/fries WTG image

@ Greg - But, I learned in my first IM to just trust the plan and it all comes together on race day - i hear ya

• Options
    wow. swim tested today and did 1000m in 18:47.
    This is good for me. best ever in fact. I was 19:03 last test. This is a nice shot in the arm given that I have felt a loss of swim mojo of late. I might be able to pull off a 1:20 swim after all.
  • Options
    Welcome Marianne. Nic pics.

@jimmy nice swim congrats.

@jeff don't get hung up on FTP. From here until raceday it's about sustainable power. 30k tt good for that.

Yesterday 1.2 mile ows, 90 min bike with 20min vo2, 4 mile easy run. Today long swim then rest!
  • Options
    Nice ows last nite....1200yd TT ....new pr @ 1:40/100.....nice 4 hr ride today....last hour uphill in rain...yuk...tomorrow = run + abp ride
  • Options
    4hr ride with 6x20(5) @ 75 to 80%. Did the first hr on the trainer as it was still dark. Drank 5 bottles perform ate a power bar ove rthe first hr and had a power gel every 30 min after that.
    I find that I really crave ice water after all that sodium.
    3hr ABP and an hour's run on tap for sunday morning.
  • Options
    @Jeff and Jimmy ... nice work today... enjoy those ABP rides tomorrow.

Today 5hr awesome ride / 4 mile brick http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372140062

Tomorrow... maybe a short swim then , split runs AM longer than PM , besides that watching Vegas and IMOO
  • Options

Posted By tim cronk on 07 Sep 2013 05:35 PM
    @Jeff and Jimmy ... nice work today... enjoy those ABP rides tomorrow.

Today 5hr awesome ride / 4 mile brick http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372140062

Tomorrow... maybe a short swim then , split runs AM longer than PM , besides that watching Vegas and IMOO

you are fast, dude! sweet ride. you must have a slippery dialed-in position. post a pic!

as for me, i had a rough day at the office. did a local HIM. Had 2 flats on the bike and had to wait for the van to bring me a tire after the second one as mine was thrashed. then i tried to make up ground (stupidly) and paid for it on the run. lost my cookies a couple times and walked quite a bit. sufferfest. funny thing is i still got on the M40-44 podium. i figured out the secret there...do small local races that nobody shows up for.

• Options
    @greg. Congrats on the podium. Hopefully you had your quota for flats. ... Losing your cookies brings new meaning to leaving it all on the course.

I don't have a particularly aero position as I am limited with a load low back. My secret is I'm a little shit 5'6 120lbs that punches a small hole thru the air. Doesn't hurt to put out over 3 w/kg for 5 hrs almost all in the aero bars either. Don't have a high absolute power but seem to be able to hold a high percentage of that number.
  • Options
    Did the run first and then 4 hour bike. Fighting stomach issues when I get beyond 3 hours. Belching up Infinit like it was my job.

The 6x20' were all near 80% - maybe a bit too much for me as I will likely race at 68%. The last hour the wind kicked up and I was cooked. Drank well over 140 oz. water plus 2 x 20 oz of Inifinit. Had 1/4 a Clif bar at 10 minutes in and every hour after.

Hoping I have some legs for the ABP - might need to dial it down towards 75% versus 85%. Not as used to 3 hour ABP rides yet

Bike Test was a surprise - Stayed at 275/230. Run test is a season best (thought VDOT is 2 points lower than last year).  Swim test broke 16 minutes (15:52).  So nothing earth shattering but all generally positive -- I'll take it!!

• Options
    3hr abp in the books. first 30min on the trainer.
    after, I did a 60min run. I decided to try pacing by HR only. Staying between 145 and 150. It got harder to keep my hre down as the run went on but it certainly seemed sustainable. Once I was done, I went ot check my garmin data to see how far I had run and how the pacing worked out only to find that I had turned the GPS off. So I dont know how far I went...
  • Options
    woke early to a wet/dreary day...slept in and still crappy out....hit the TM for 40 min....brunch/nap/chores....then ride 2 hrs @ .88 to my swimming hole....finished the day with a 1 mi ows
  • Options
    @JU ... yeah once I start getting over 3.5hr rides my intervals go from .85 down as they get longer... when I did my build for IMTX(almost all inside on the trainer) this year I kept FTP intervals till around 3hrs, then dropped to .90 till around 3.5 , .85 til 4hrs , then kept it at .80 til 5hrs .... always finished up the distance with .70-.75 intervals.... for IMFL I am using a bit more steady approach to the longrides of a consistent .7-.75 and trying to push the last 30-60minutes higher.... this weeks longride last 40minutes was .78 and wow was that hard!.....OH and I do this knowing I don't have an ABP ride the next day just a longrun LOL.... nice job on your tests!

@Jimmy.... time and effort is more important than distance but still annoying huh?

@JS....88 for 2hrs impressive! with a run/swim to boot!

Yesterday yielded a 1.2 mile swim , 17miles run done as 12 in the AM and 5 in the PM.... ..... 1.2 mile OWS and rest day today! guess its week 13