Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Tempe Oly Tri This weekend

I am heading over to Tempe tomorrow for the weekend to recon the course. I live in Southern California and will be driving.  The plan is to do a BTD on Friday with a swim at LA Fitness pool and 2 loops of the bike course and 1 loop of the run.  Then another recon ride on the Beeline Highway on Saturday before I have to check in for a Lifetime Fitness/Nathan's Tempe Olympic triathlon on Saturday with the race on Sunday morning.  Since I have been training mostly by myself, I figured that the Olympic race will help me get a good speed workout in as well as try to maintain and control the excitement factor of being in a race and executing properly.

I wanted to swim in Tempe Town Lake at least once before the race.  The only allowable times are the Tempe triathlon and Soma in October.  Can't make the Soma tri so I scheduled this event.  I know Betsy can give great info because she is local and there really isn't a lot to the course.  But I will add some feedback next week after I return on road conditions, etc

This will be the GO/ NO GO weekend for the rest of my training.  I will see if my knee will hold out and for how long.  I am still holding out hope that I can run half or more of the marathon before I am forced to walk- (or hobble )  So wish me luck.

By the way, it seems like there will be quite a bit of "mature" EN athletes racing IM AZ this year.  Do we want to make a "young whippersnappers" versus "old goats" challenge?  But remember "Old Guys Rule".

Comments

• Options

Sounds like a fun weekend Jim! Hope it all GOes well for the knee and the Oly! So whats the cutoff for whippersnappers?

• Options
    Jim-sounds like a "weekend". I am flying to Oakland tomorrow for a wedding and won't be here this weekend. Sorry to miss you.
    One other chance to swim in tempe town lake (or TTL as we are fond of saying) is the Saturday before-11/10. Iron care Splash and Dash series has
    A 2000 and 4000 option that morning
  • Options

Sorry to miss you Betsy, but have fun in Oakland and watch out for those Raider fans!! 

@Rian- I was thinking either 45 or 50 for the cutoff depending on how big each age group is.  Just some more fun to help keep us motivated.  We will have to think of an appropriate prize for the winners.  Maybe I'll start another post.

Packing up the car in a few hours.  I know that I will forget something, but that is why God created Mastercards and Visa cards.

• Options
    Jim-if you are in Phoenix today, there is a splash and dash tonite at TTL. It's a 6pm start, 1500 distance. North side of lake just east of Mill street bridge. Google Ironcare splash and dash, tempe