Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Veterans - Power to Speed Experience

Given the number of IMAZ veterans it seems like we have in the EN Haus, I'm hoping there might be some useful information out here in forum-land on what to expect in terms of power to speed/bike split.

Anyone who has ridden the course before care to share their data/info (weight, bike weight/setup, NP, VI, % of time aero, avg MPH, bike split time, etc.)?

Comments

• Options
    When we have conversations like this, there ends up being a surprising amount of variability between times even for people who are similar in size and power. Key variables are position, and VI.

When I get back from from IMLT, I'll review WKO for my stats. But I think my w/kg were about 3.5, and my time was 5:40.

You should be aero ALL the time except when turning.
  • Options
    2011, about 205lbs if I recall, FTP set at 310 (3.32 w/kg), IF .584, VI 1.03, 5:26 bike time.

For az, its usually the winds that day that decide the bike split. Ex, First out was slowish but the return trip was screaming fast with tailwinds. 2nd and 3rd loops were more even and slowed down as the winds shifted from loop to loop.

Al is right though, stay aero ALL THE TIME. I don't think there's tight or sketchy enough corners that you have to get out of aero at all.
  • Options
    with that in mind (being in aero), would more trainer based rides be a smart idea? I know when I trained for Eagleman, my trainer sessions proved to be very valuable given how pancake flat the Eagleman course was. thoughts?
  • Options
    IMO, indoor trainer rides don't get you used to the feel of the road and also the fatigue that aero position causes in your neck and shoulders. If you're able to ride outside, ride outside.
  • Options

Posted By Scott Alexander on 21 Sep 2013 04:10 PM
    IMO, indoor trainer rides don't get you used to the feel of the road and also the fatigue that aero position causes in your neck and shoulders. If you're able to ride outside, ride outside.
    +1 you need to learn the subtlties of steering and handling bumps with the aerobars.
  • Options
    +2 Scott: I ride a lot indoors and can do 6 hours aero THERE, but I have had big problems staying aero on the road for even a HIM.
  • Options
    5:15.     185 lbs.     NP maybe a bit less 220.       aero mostly.    
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far and I hope that more people share their experiences in Tempe.

I definitely agree on the trainer vs outdoor riding point. Before IMFL 2012, I did nearly all on trainer and suffered on the road. Just couldn't stay aero.

Given Scott's point about the strong influence of the winds, what kind of wheel setups are you using?
  • Options

IMAZ 2012. FTP 235. Weight 165 (3.1 w/kg). I rode 159w (.69IF and 1.02VI) for 5:35. I used aero helmet, aero disk cover, race tires, latex tubes too.