Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Flu Shot Public Service Announcement

Here's a quick Flu Shot PSA: Don't forget to go get your flu shot vaccine asap! We are approaching that time of year and it would stink to get sidelined anytime between now and IMAZ with the flu if it can be avoided. My wife is a school teacher and I've got two kids in grade school so my house is a perpetual petri dish. And people wonder why I walk around in a Hazmat suit.... image
Also, check to see what kind of flu shot you are getting. The "new" vaccine covers four strains of the virus while others may only cover the traditional three.
Have a great day!
Wolf

Comments

• Options
    For 30 years in the military I was forced to take the annual flu vaccine. I stopped as soon as I retired and have not had one since 2004. I haven't had the flu either. While I do not believe there is a "conspiracy" behind the annual flu campaign other than to keep certain people in their jobs, I do believe the benefits of the flu vaccine are oversold and the potential complications minimized. Attached is a well-balanced article on the effectiveness of last year's vaccine. Of note is how the vaccine is less effective (only 9% effective for those over 65) as you age at the same time they are shouting that is when you need it the most. Until the CDC is willing to publicly grade itself by prominently displaying the flu types in the current vaccine, against the flu types that actually hit the U.S. for that season, I have no faith in their prognostic capabilities.

http://www.decodedscience.com/2012-2013-flu-vaccination-ineffective/26085
  • Options
    Agree with wolf. Not with paul. The population science seems to still supoort. Age issue is helped somewhat by "high dose" for over 65. Though i know folks with military backgroud have really enjoyed the umpteen shots in their careers.