Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

Lessons Learned from IMFL Vets

Hey IMFL people:  Although I am not doing IMFL in 2013, I did do it in 2012.  Here are a few items to consider and maybe others can add in what they know. 

I have very good memories for IMFL and would imagine doing this race again.  The Admin was super easy (stayed in Laketown warf) and I just generally had a good time. 

A few thoughts.

1.  If you read Race Reports from 2012, just remember that the swim was probably an outlier in terms of condidtions.  Super Storm Sandy had just occured which caused major disturbance to the ocean.  From previous years FL is typically a flat calm ocean swim.  2012 was pretty much the exact opposite of that. 

2.  There is a bumpy road towards the half way point of the bike. last for about 10 miles maybe.  Coach Patrick mentions this in some of the 4 key talks But I am just here to say this is probably the worst road I have ever ridden my bike on.  If you have anything that isn't tightened down, taped, strapped,zipped etc..it is going to come loose or fall off your bike. There was a guy with a big rake clearing the road from bike debris.  I had a spare tube that had been tucked very tightly under my saddle all season long and it fell out on that road.  Peoples' aero vizors were coming undone, my aero straw flew up into the air, joule came un-stuck and was swiveling around held only by the zip ties.  luckily i could easily hold it in place when in aero but it was a pain.  Bottom line, get ready for it, push through it, and tighten up your load on the bike. 

3. Don't underestimate IMFL.  I've done IMFL and IMLP.  For me, on that given day, IMFL was a tougher race hands down.  That's with a 90 minute PR against IMLP.  Faster aint always easier. 

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Nate - this will be my first time at IMFL and also first time needing to fly to an IM so logistics seem to play a role here as well. We are also staying at Laketown Wharf - can't wait!
  • Options

Thanks for the tips Nate.  Sounds like the roads around my house.  They will beat you to death.

• Options

I did it in 2010 and will be back again this year.

My tips:

Race morning

- Park at the Walmart if not in walking distance.

- The special needs drop off was a little bit of a hike from the T area.  Just be prepared for that and don't assume (like I did) that it was somewhere next to transition or the swim start.

Swim

- If they let you do this for lap 2... run down to where you started the swim (where it's a straight shot to the turn buoy) and not where you can first enter the water (where it's a diagonal swim to the buoy).  It's simple geometry as the diagonal swim acts as a hypotenuse and you can run faster than you can swim.

- You will fight the current more on the second lap.

- The current comes into shore but it will certainly be at an angle.  Swimming back to shore will undoubtedly be faster but be very mindful of drifting to the right.

- Spend a few seconds under the shower to rinse off the salt water.

Bike

- Flat course but can be taxing as it can be ridden entirely in aero.  Take a moment here or there to sit up and stretch out your back.

- Nate mentioned the crappy road right around the halfway point.  It's the section on 388 after crossing 2301.  It really does suck.  Listen to what Nate said and make sure everything is secure.

- Wind will be a factor at some point(s) so be prepared for it.

- Wind will definitely be a factor along Front Beach Rd.  You can get some hard crosswinds coming through the buildings.

- It was really cold in the morning in 2010 (40's) and the first two hours of the bike ride were miserable as I was really cold.  Be prepared for anything from 40 to 70 degrees.

Run

- It may get cool so think about having a long sleeve in your special needs if necessary.  It was cool in 2010.

- The aid stations generally had themes and it was pretty fun.

- Chicken broth is your best friend.

- It will be dark a little after 5:00 pm so most everyone will be doing some running in the dark.  Watch out for the speed bumps in the dark.

- The coaches usually stand in front of the entrance/exit to the park.  Patrick was racing but I'm not sure he is now due to his injury.  So both he and Rich might be there.

• Options
    Great tips above. IMFL was my first IM. I'll add just one more tip, as mentioned already, it's going to be dark for many of you on the run, and that run in the park section is VERY dark. Consider putting a clip-on visor LED headlamp in your Run SNB. You can pick one up fairly cheap from Amazon if you don't already have one.
  • Options
    I did it as my first in 2008. I graduated from HS in Panama City so this race does not count as a destination event for me. I would add the following:

- Skip the welcome dinner if you have family with you. Total rip-off and you can buy much more for the money and get far better food at practically any restaurant.

- If the weather is rough before the race, do your practice swims at the PCB acquatic center at Frank Brown Park. It is a large saline temp controlled pool set up for long course in the early morning and short course after 10 am.

- Be ultra careful on any pre race rides. I would never ride on most of the race roads on my own. Even though this is off season, most folks coming to the beach are not looking out for bikers so you had better watch for them.

- Guys...be preprared to suck it up four times as you run through the "girl zone" -- hands down the best running attraction at any IM I have done.

- Bring your mental mojo for the run, because you are going to turn around for the second loop just yards from the finish. Very tough...but hey, you get two more trips by the girl zone so think positive.

- I stayed at the Laketown Wharf also when it was brand new...definitely a good location.

- Do not buy an air brushed trucker hat unless you take a pic and post in your RR!
  • Options
    Keep them coming...

@Nate, speaking to a guy who did my fit this past week, he said the same on IMFL vs. IMWI -- that IMWI was easier in that you were always moving on the bike and that constant grind at a steady cadence in the bars can zap you.
  • Options

This light worked perfect for me.  very light weight and bright.! check it out

http://www.rei.com/product/842486/a...-cap-light

• Options
    Wear some throwaway socks down to the swim start and toss them before you go in the water. The sand was very cold in 2010

Mark
  • Options
    Don't try to play the winds. Most EN folks know better than to ride hard into the wind, but some still think that they should PUSH the tailwind to "make up time". NO. You ride steady all day, regardless of speed, focusing on effort b/c the run is where the race happens.

Plan on getting out of the saddle every 30 minutes, shifting harder to stand and stretch your back as you keep momentum going.

Lap two is hard, very quiet out there.

Course is so flat your feet will hurt...and you will hate the 4-inch high speedbumps.
  • Options

Posted By Patrick McCrann on 08 Oct 2013 09:24 AM

Course is so flat your feet will hurt...and you will hate the 4-inch high speedbumps.

You wouldn't think a speedbump would prove to be quite the obstacle but around mile 22 or 23 they were actually something I concerned myself with.  I'd come up to one and hope I could lift my feet high enough to not trip over one. 

P, are you going to be racing IMFL or did the injury put you completely out of commission?