Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

Bike Shorts

Last long ride I used my bike shorts instead of my tri shorts, what a difference. My question to the group, are bike shorts worn in the Ironman? IMFL is my first, so not sure of the logistics.

Comments

• Options
    Changing tents are available at full Ironman events. I bike in my bike shorts, comfort comes first.
  • Options
    yes. you can do a full change. it will be in a steamy, hot, crowded, naked guy tent, which puts your local YMCA to shame, but you can do a change. for my first IM I wore my bike shorts under my wetsuit for the swim (Desoto 400 mile pad) and then just hopped on the bike. changed into tri shorts in T2. I've also heard of people wearing bike shorts over tri shorts and then just whipping off the bike shorts for the run. But I wouldn't complicate it if you haven't practiced any of the above. go with what you know you will be comfortable with.
  • Options
    Agree with Brent......112 is a long ride, and there are changing tents, so take the time to put on whatever is most comfortable for both bike and run.
  • Options
    consider we're coming out of the salt water and potential sand in the mix....i'll be switching from swimsuit to tri shorts...then again into run shorts
  • Options
    I have found the pad in bike shorts ends up being too bulky and causing chaffing issues for me. While not quite as cushioned, the TYR Carbon tri shorts worked fairly well for both RR.

But again, at this stage, go with what you know works!
  • Options
    wasn't sure, since the athlete guide says no public nudity. Guess that's no public nudity outside the tent. Will wear the bike shorts. Thanks for the tent warning.
  • Options
    FWIW - I had serious chafing and pain in RR1 and was convinced that I would need to ride in bike shorts. Then I rememberd that I had raised my saddle.

After putting it back where it belongs I was fine in tri shorts for RR2. Not that I would suggest you monkey with it for this race but perhaps something to consider for future races.
  • Options
    I've seen/known people that have done all variations on clothes you can imagine...from "you're a swimmer so swim in swimsuit; now you're a cyclist so cycle in bike shorts; now you're a runner so run in running shorts" to tri shorts the whole day (me).

In addition to bike shorts with the larger chamois being a big wet diaper on the bike, you also should consider your bike and saddle. For me, bike shorts don't work on tri bikes in the aero position, and likewise tri shorts aren't too comfy on a road saddle for hours on end.

Whatever works for you, what you've trained in and what prevents the most discomfort.
    I don't care who you are, after all that time out swimming, biking and running, something will always be uncomfortable!
  • Options

Do whatever makes you most comfortable.  Unless you are going for a podium or KQ, the extra 30 seconds it takes you to change from bike short to running shorts doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I've even worn my zoot tri shorts under my bike shorts before in an Ironman and been just fine.  Just ripped the bike shorts off in T2 and took off. 

• Options

Posted By Jeff Unruh on 21 Oct 2013 11:35 AM

I have found the pad in bike shorts ends up being too bulky and causing chaffing issues for me. While not quite as cushioned, the TYR Carbon tri shorts worked fairly well for both RR.

But again, at this stage, go with what you know works!

I'm with Jeff.  I cannot ride comfortably in the aero position when using bike shorts.  They bunch up which causes discomfort, numbness, and chaffing.  I can use tri shorts all day long.  It seems counter-intuitive at first but "less is more" when it comes to shorts and the aero position.  Too late to change it up now but try using the less is more approach in the offseason.

DeSoto Riviera shorts would be a good 'tweener short.  I have been using Pearl Izumi stuff lately (Octane tri suit or PRO In-R-Cool tri short).  I really like them.