Homeβ€Ί Racing Forum πŸŽβ€Ί 140.6 Forumsβ€Ί Ironman Florida
Options

IMFL race plan

Quick perspective: first IM and first season with EN, although did train for, and start the inaugural IM Utah in 2002....the one that was shortened to a HIM after the swim. Been in/out of both the sport and general fitness, with an all time low fitness wise( and high in weight...240 lbs) in 2010. Started getting back in shape 2010, in 2011 set goal to do HIM in 2012, which I did in around 5:43 - pre EN. Joined EN in NOS last year (got side-tracked with stupid hernia surgery in Dec. that year). Did Muncie HIM this year in 5:09 and felt great.

Current FTP is 260, weight at 175, and LRP is 9:30. Writing this out was a very helpful exercise to do but PLEASE give any/all thoughts....have found collective knowledge in the Haus VERY helpful,

Thursday:

Arrive PCB by plane 9:15am, get to condo ASAP ( Sunbird ) to drop off bags, then over to boardwalk resort to catch as much of 4 keys talk as possible.

Between 11:30-12:30 do race check-in/admin stuff, get in and out as quick as possible. Hopefully wife ad family (traveling by van) will arrive by Noon, 12:30 at latest and we'll go to condo for lunch and nap.

Between 2:00-3:30pm do short drive onto bike course, and quick ride of 10-15 miles to make sure bike OK.

4:00-5:00pm do trick or treating at expo with kids(youngest is 8), then head over to team dinner. Bed by 9pm.

Friday:

Sleep in as late as possible!! Big breakfast of 1-2 eggs with lots of veggies, some UDI's cereal with coconut milk and maybe some green smoothie(bringing my own Vitamix). Sip on coconut water and perform all day, and take 2-3 S caps through course of day.

Light swim mid morning just to get feel for wetsuit/ salt water. Snack of nuts/ seeds with V-8. after. Get back to condo to hang out, feet up, and prepare T1, T2, and SN bags (going to put all gear needed for each bag in my own T1, T2, and SN bags BEFORE my wife leaves in van on Wed. so I know I'll have everything, and preparing bags in condo will be pretty much already done).

Lunch will be some hummus with rice crackers, some gluten free pasta with small amt. of chicken. Relax, feet up.

Around 1:30pm do bike, and T1, T2 bag check-in. Will slightly deflate tires and pump fresh in AM. Back to condo, feet up.

Ironkids race at 3:30 ( 8 yr. old is as excited for that as I am for the IM I think!). Back to condo ASAP with light dinner of more gluten free pasta, maybe a little almond milk with Jennie's coconut macaroon later on if really hungry. Bed by 9pm

** all food intake is tried and true both with RR's and general day to day consumption

Race day:

3am- smoothie of banana, almond milk, and protein powder, Bonk Breaker bar, two cups applesauce, 1/2 bottle perform ( tried and true with both RR's)

5am- up and take in 1/2 bottle perform with some EFS gel, 1/3 Bonk breaker bar, out door by 5:30am

5:45-6:15- set up T1( pump tires, put bottles in cages, turn on garmin... Turn OFF the "auto off" function). Drop off SN bags, give wife and daughters thank you cards for all the sacrifice they've made, telling them how I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them.

6:45- take about 200 cal. shot of gel and last slug of perform,seed myself in 1:10 swimmers ( think I should do around 1:12-1:15). Swim ONLY as fast as can maintain good form, take in some perform at 1/2 way, and run down beach to original swim start to begin 2nd lap.

T1- get wetsuit stripped, quick rinse in showers, slam down about 200 cal. Of gel and 2/3 bottle perform that will have in T1 bag. Helmet on, glasses on, carry shoes to bike then put them on, safe and easy at mount line.

Bike......
goal NP at one hr. mark is 175(.67 IF), and take in 560 cal. 1st hour. Then start clicking off 5 mile laps at NP 180-182 until BSN, taking in 440 cal/hr. And 1200 mg. sodium- fluid intake will be 1/2 of 24oz. bottle every 15', 100 cal. gel/30', and a S cap on the 45 min. marks. Will pick up 2 bottles perform (my 4 bottles will get me through 2 hrs.) at mile 30 aid station.
Goal NP at BSN is 179, quick stop to get 4 new bottles, full gel flask, thank volunteer, stretch back,shake legs and go. From BSN on hit 5 mile laps at 182-185 NP, trying to gradually increase NP to 182 by mile 90-100, then maintain it from there. (FYI.. 1st RR hit 179 NP and felt fine on run, 2nd RR hit 182 NP and felt same, maybe better). Same fluid/gel intake- grab two bottles perform at around mile 80 along with bottle H20 to cool off with.

T2- Helmet off, socks and shoes on, EN cap on image, garmin on, put gel flask in back pocket of kit and NICE and EASY out of T2.

Run.......
First hour keep it at 9:45-10:00/ mile (LRP is 9:30- did both RR's at 9:30 splits and felt very easy). 30 step break every aid station and take in 1 cup perform, and water on head to keep cool. Take in about 60-70 cal. of EFS gel every 3 miles along with a S cap. At 6 mile mark start hitting 9:30 pace if able. At RSN, pick up 3 more S caps, visor clip-on light, light weight long sleeve top to tie around waist and go. Will have extra pair socks and blister 1st aid in RSN bag if needed. Start with cola intake when hit the suck.... hopefully mile 18 or later( FYI...never drink caffeine, hoping it's an "ace-in-the-hole").
Finish...... Try to find/see wife and daughters, stop and give each a kiss, then try and not do a "Dino" at the finish line image

Comments