Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Bike Course-Big Ring or Little Ring?

AZ veterans and wicked experienced peeps;

In preparation for my final RR, and race course recon... I have a question regarding riding the bike course in the big or little ring.  When I did my first RR I rode smaller ring b/c I thought it was easier to hold my pace, (My FTP is 234, and I try to hold a 160W pace).  This Saturday I rode in the larger Ring, and I made MUCH better time on my course.  So, can any veterans share their preferences?  And/or opinions?

Thanks, Mike 

Comments

• Options
    Whatever combination of ring and cassette cog allows you to spin comfortably (85-95rpm for most folks) at your race wattage. That's all that matters.
  • Options
    That's the thing I forgot to mention, I understand the 85-90 RPM, but I actually feel more comfortable at a lower RPM 75-85...Will that be an issue?
  • Options
    "They" say you may run better if you ride with a higher cadence(rpm). One that is closer to your run cadence. But, often times, "they" are wrong. Focus in your watts and find your natural, comfortable rhythm. IM is long day....
  • Options

Mike, the "rule of thumb" is 85-95 rpm, but that doesn't hold true for everyone.  There are many professional cyclists and triathletes that ride at a slower cadence.  The answer you are looking for is in your data....you mentioned you have done two RRs, one in the big ring and one in the small.  Big question....how was your run after each?  The ride that sets you up best for the run is the one you want.  

• Options
    Watts is watts regardless. Regarding rpms, do what you have been practicing. But you have a bit of time to experiment.