Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

IMFL Race Day Weather Conditions

Yesterday I rode my bike for 27 minutes and experienced stronger winds than at anytime during the 5 rides I did in KONA.

Today, put my wetsuit on and splashed around in the violent waves.  Didnt even bother to waste the energy to go out and swim.

I'm not a meteorologist nor a local and have only done this race once 2 years ago but here are my thoughts....  The Good News as I see it....  The wind and rough water we have been witnessing the last few days has been caused by the S and SW winds.... We are going to get a front come through and The forecast for Race Day is N and NW winds light in the am and then 10-15....  This should smooth the water out considerably....  At least that is the way it played out in 2011.... The bike will be windy at some point during the day and usually the worst thru the buildings along the coast coming into the finish... The NW wind should make the out portion of the run warmer(tailwind)  and the return portion just a little cooler(headwind)...Also of note is the water temp.. This am NOAA reported just under 75 so its wetsuit legal but a little on the warm side...Just a week ago it was 80.....

So lets not waste any energy today worrying about the weather , gonna stay in my box today, and it will all work out tomorrow.

Good Skill to all!

Comments