Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Recommended IF on bike race

I see the guidance throughout the haus on the recommended IF for the bike part of an IM course, is there any guidance on a recommended/ideal IF for a 100+ mile ride/race where you don't have to (I mean get to) run afterwords?  I'm specifically thinking of the Horribly Hilly ride in WI.  I know it's a long way out, but dreams of riding outside keep me sane when staring at the trainer.

Comments

• Options
    Great question! I don't know that we've ever really explored this one before, but even so, I'm not sure there's really a right answer. Cycling is really a very different animal. There's a lot more strategy going on within the race. You can draft to save energy, work with team members, and you need to be able to respond (or strategically decide NOT to respond) when there is a break away.

Paging Dave Corso!
  • Options
    Mark - Are you riding HHH as a race? I'm guessing that it is not your A-race, so approach it cautiously. The IM execution plan is one that assumes a several-week break after - are you thinking that? It is a really hard course (200K ride with 10,000 feet of climbing!) Overlaps a bit of the IMWI course, and is harder than the Moo ride! I don't have a specific answer, depending what your goals but would suggest no more than an IM race rehearsal, and that would require you to be near IM fit!
  • Options
    I'd like to hear thoughts on this as well. I'm doing a very technical 62 mile bike race in April. I'm sure I'll just try to stay with the main pack ... or second pack ... or third pack, hey it's CAT 5 45+ there will be a lot of different ability levels in my field. I have no idea what intensity to go for power-wise, I'm guessing somewhere above HIM power.
  • Options
    It's not really an A" Race - my only A race this year is IM Moo and based on coaches' advice I was looking for something to put earlier in the year to keep me from obsessing on IM. I also thought it would be a good test of where I'm at from a bike fitness standpoint immediately before the IM Moo training starts - I started the OS back in November and based on the season planning schedule I have 10 weeks after my transition from the OS before HHH. I don't know that I'm looking to "race" this, but thought there might be some guidelines about how I might use the PT to better execute.
  • Options
    Mike- that's another excellent point. Without knowing your goals for this race or what other races you have lined up (and how this fits into your overall season) it's gonna be really hard to provide specific advice. FWIW- the cyclists I ride with around here all have PMs, but most of them only use them for pacing on Time Trials. During Crits or Road Races, they are generally just using the PM to collect data for analysis later. I'm not saying that's the "right" way- it's just an example.
  • Options

Hey Mark,

So, per my calculations, HHH is 12 weeks before IMWI, so perfect timing for one last "fun" event before nose to the grindstone time.  I've done HHH 2 x and IMWI 3 x, so this comes with some insight. I'd say ride it like a modified race rehearsal (see below) - shoot to follow the IM power plan based on your FTP, etc. As I said, it is a tough course, and technically not a "race" (I think they used to treat it more like a race, but not so much any more ... and one I would not suggest racing with your IM on the horizon.) If you are riding with friends, and do not want to be strict to the "no drafting" rule, that's fine - just go in with a plan!!  They have rest stops about every 20 miles, so, you'll need to decide if you want to carry all your own nutrition (i.e.: powder to mix up with water at the aid stations), or take the variety of Gatorade flavors and other foods that they offer.

If you don't have a compact crank and higher count rings on your cassette already (i.e.: 12/26), I'd get them before this one - the final miles are especially brutal!

Cary - At a glance, your's sounds like a HIM-like effort. With the shorter mileage, you may be able to push a bit more, but again, remember, it's not your "A"!  How long before your A-race?  The more, the better!

• Options

@Mike - thanks - race is right as OS ends, 12 weeks before IMLP. I imagine a power meter in use during a road race is probably not that helpful for pacing, but will probably let you know if you're really blowing yourself up chasing/keeping up with a pack, ascending a crazy hill/mtn, etc.

• Options
    Thanks Mike - I'm drinkin' the EN Kool-aid and already have a 12/27 cassette, I'll be adding the compact crank before this ride.
  • Options
    Posted By mark erkenswick on 14 Feb 2010 09:12 PM

Thanks Mike - I'm drinkin' the EN Kool-aid and already have a 12/27 cassette, I'll be adding the compact crank before this ride.

BTW - Where are you at Mark? I live in Gurnee, and would love to welcome you to the NIL Sleeper Cell, if you're close!

• Options
    I'm in Wheaton. I had no idea there was NIL sleeper cell. count me in - especially for the sleeping part of it. . .

Are you doing HHH this year?
  • Options
    Hey Mark,
    No HHH for me this year - taking a break with just sprints and olys. (I did HHH the past 2 years - hate it ... In a love / hate kind of way!) Will probably do Udder Century, and Heatstroke 100 (BCLC Century).
    Too bad we missed you for the winter happy hour a month and a half ago. We had posted in the Midwest forum, and tried to spread the word! Next time.
  • Options

The timing is good.

In my experience the best way to "race" hilly rides like this is with 3-4 guys that you know. Don't try to drop each other on the climbs and work together on any flats. After a while you'll start to gather a few more of similar fitness. What you don't want to do is chase clowns up hills in the first 15 miles of a 100+ mile day. Just ride with your crew, ignore everyone else and let fatigue sort things out.