Home WSM Admin
Options

First Time Finish Program

WSMs,

We hope you're doing well!

In the next couple weeks we will launch our First Time Finish Program. Complete details are here

Program Summary:

This is a program for first-time full Ironman athletes, whereby they train with us for a minimum of 3mo and if they start but not finish (DNF) for any reason, we will pay for the registration of their next full Ironman distance race, about $700. Basically, "we have a training and racing process that works. Join us and if you don't cross the finish line, for any reason, we'll pay for your next Ironman race."

Internal Changes / Tools:

We will create a curriculum of emails and landing pages that athletes in this program will receive. This is required reading for participants. They'll also be required to complete key admin milestones: submit rehearsal and race plans for review, stuff like that. So imagine about a 12-16wk process that gets them up to speed on a number of different topics. 

External Changes / Tools:

The content for these pages ^above^ will be chop up, shortened, stuff left out all together, and complied into an ebook targeted at the first time Ironman athlete. Purpose of the ebook will be to generate interest in the program and to convey the unique messages and tools that EN has around training and racing your first Ironman. But the ebook will very clearly communicate that we're purposely leaving a lot of stuff out that we've created exclusively for our members. 

This program will be retroactive, meaning that members currently on the team can signup for this guarantee when the program is ready. 

Patrick and I would welcome any feedback and opinions you have on this program. 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    I like this for a lot of reasons: the obvious marketing hook; the recognition of the practical value of the EN training and racing methods; a demonstration of the level of committment of the coaches to the quality and outcome of their work; and a further opportunity to build internal team dynamics.

You may already be on this, but how about, in addition to the current race specific forum groups, a First Timers Forum. Folks can share anxieties, you'll know where to look if that extra hand holding is needed.

Also, some special recognition for those who succeed (presumably, everyone!) both in cyberspace, like badges for the forum and a shout out in your periodic public email blast; and physically, like a T shirt or something which identifies EN as the route to first time success.

Do you want us to critique the First Timers e book?
  • Options

Posted By Al Truscott on 28 Feb 2014 06:49 PM

I like this for a lot of reasons: the obvious marketing hook; the recognition of the practical value of the EN training and racing methods; a demonstration of the level of committment of the coaches to the quality and outcome of their work; and a further opportunity to build internal team dynamics.

You may already be on this, but how about, in addition to the current race specific forum groups, a First Timers Forum. Folks can share anxieties, you'll know where to look if that extra hand holding is needed.

Also, some special recognition for those who succeed (presumably, everyone!) both in cyberspace, like badges for the forum and a shout out in your periodic public email blast; and physically, like a T shirt or something which identifies EN as the route to first time success.

Do you want us to critique the First Timers e book?

Hey Al,

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding a First Timers forum:

We have decided to not do this. The Team already, over time, has developed pretty efficient processes for answer questions via forums: Macro, Micro, Power and Pace, etc. This is just how the team has worked, across 7 years for thousands of athletes, and we feel it's important that new athletes, regardless of Ironman status, learn this system. Our concern is that a First Timers Forum would see questions that belong in other forums and therefore these questions wouldn't get the attention they deserve. 

Now, I could see us having an "OMG, I'm doing my first Ironman and am Scared Out of My Mind!" Thread inside an existing forum...but not a separate, special thread for first timers. 

• Options
    I like the idea, but my one concern for you guys would be the 3 month training length. I think for people who are physically fit and have been involved with the sport in some way should be fine with this length. What I worry about is the guy who hasn't run or biked in years seeing this, signing up for EN and plugging himself into an IM race. I understand that most IM branded races sell out the year prior so people have to be already in prep mode, but you can really just jump into a HITS series Iron distance race a few months before. I might expand that length of time as a safeguard as 12 weeks seems a little short given some athletes that maybe intrigued by this offer.
  • Options

Posted By Keith Wick on 01 Mar 2014 12:32 PM

I like the idea, but my one concern for you guys would be the 3 month training length. I think for people who are physically fit and have been involved with the sport in some way should be fine with this length. What I worry about is the guy who hasn't run or biked in years seeing this, signing up for EN and plugging himself into an IM race. I understand that most IM branded races sell out the year prior so people have to be already in prep mode, but you can really just jump into a HITS series Iron distance race a few months before. I might expand that length of time as a safeguard as 12 weeks seems a little short given some athletes that maybe intrigued by this offer.

Hey Keith,

As I'm sure you know, I'm on the front lines of many, many season planning discussions. In my experience, very, very few first timers aren't smart enough to know that they can't go from couch to IM in 3mo. 3mo is our Race Prep phase and, in our experience, even the least prepared, least squared away first-timer will have been training, albeit maybe incorrectly, for about 2mo before that, for a total of 5mo...which is possible for an IM finish, assuming no massive body comp, nutrition, or injury issues. 

But your comment does raise the issue of the HITS, non-WTC type Ironman event, for which people can sign up on a whim and race. We had our WTC hats on = signing up 1yr in advance, race is closed, etc. We'll have to think about that one...

• Options
    I think a first timers forum would have to be moderated, in the sense that you'd have to have "experts" willing to answer those questions intelligently.

As to the races, allowed, it wouldn't be hard to say that this applies to WTC and Rev3 races (Challenge?) automatically, and that interested people in other races should check with you in advance. When you are applying it retroactively to current members, you aren't going to have the problem of someone trying to leverage a HITs fee into a WTC fee. But having the policy standing will mean that when you open it up to new members, you will have a standing policy with any bugs worked out. In other words, offer it to the Team a week early or something to see what you haven't thought of along those lines to test the "fixes" for things like that.

As to the merits of the program, I think the marketing ought to emphasize that you have to do the XYZ things. This is not because I think people would be taking advantage of you, but because it goes to make the point that you have a real system and are not just selling snake oil. I don't know how many times a week me Facebook feed offers me "3 tips to an instantly faster triathlon swim". Make it clear that you have to go through the motions.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea. The overall DNF rate is already pretty low. Considering the huge fraction of people that are first timers, it can't be much worse for them. The only big risk is bad weather, and even then, it's only likely to affect a small handful.

You should make it clear, also, whether the DNF applies to people who "officially" DNF because of time cutoffs.
  • Options
    The question that came to my mind was, what if a member does not finish IMLP, so they get in line the next day to sign up. How would you be able to pay for the entry? Have athlete pay and then submit receipt for reimbursement?
  • Options
    Guys,

Interesting initiative. I don't think there are many orgs in the triathlon world which will put their money where there mouth is to anywhere near this degree. You're really raising the bar here. (Sorry for the poorly mixed and blended metaphors). Here are my items of feedback, jotted down as I sat in a academic seminar on 'peer review of formative teaching intern experiences' command-performance workshop on a Sunday afternoon.

1. In fact, I think it's maybe you and De Soto ONLY that have this degree of guarantee in tri goods and services. And DeSoto has built a massive amount of goodwill in the tri community with such a strong dedication to customer service and standing behind their product 100%. I would leverage that, even if it's by subtle (or overt) lumping together.

2. I'm sure there wil be a zillion Ts and Cs that you identify in how someone might cash in on this, but I would make sure they protect against the possibility of someone exploiting this in combination with WTC's newly-piloted "Race Fee Transfer" program. So, protection against the worst case of the dilettante who signs on for an IM, and just does not take it seriously, because there's nothing to lose - they can transfer their fee if they pull out early, or get a free $$ ride if they show and call it in.

3. I like the idea of a set curriculum, and I would approach it as an outright expectation and requirement that they jump through every hoop along the way. I'd make them sign something. Sadly, people will look for shortcuts, and anything that safeguards against this - given that you're putting up a $700 bet on them - should be clear.

4. Avoid: "Guarantee," "money-back," or anything that smacks of transaction or a sale of a commodity. Instead, "Social Contract." (hey, that even works with the metaphor of Endurance Nation!). So, this is a obligation that you have as a participant in this deal. This also creates a long-term affinity for the EN community, and helps establish multi-year members in the Nation instead of those that jump in, and jump right out after the event. I'm sure you thought of it already, but also put in a MASSIVE back-end support after the race to say "Did we steer you wrong? NO! That's why you should stay on the team as a full member and let us help you develop in the PB of your dreams, or to the athlete you are really capable of being."

5. The downside risk with this: it is a possible strategic or perception shift - both inside and outside the Nation - from " EN is a multi-level tri community representing a breadth of ranges, ages and experience levels doing everything from their first tri to WCs" to "We are a first-time Ironman training shop that churns out bucket listers." Now, I know this isn't the case, but I also know that dudes on Slwotwitch can be assholes of the highest order, and will paint this initiative, and the team, as the later, and this takes a LOT of effort to right the ship. Maybe having some judicious messaging and a strong sense and messaging of our accomplishments across the whole continuum of triathlon success at the ready will help ameliorate this. Or maybe you're completely expecting the annual ST chatter and the season EN thread, and are launching this to toss in there to shut up people ... in which case, bravo!

Looking forward to it going live! Let me know if I can help in any way, and I'll echo Al's offer as a curriculum consultant / critical reader.

-Dave
  • Options
    One other thought based on Dave's input. Say a member signs up and doesn't complete the Ironman, so you put up the $700 for them to race again. What checks and balance system do you have to make sure that they do not cancel their entry and get a partial refund based on the $$$ you put in for their 2nd IM? They'd actually be making a profit for withdrawing from the race.
  • Options
    Love this idea! I also had some of the same thoughts as Dave and others. I think for folks to be eligible for the refund they need to start the race (so no pulling out a month or more ahead) and they need to complete certain milestones (like submitting their race plan for review, completing at least one race rehearsal, etc).

• Options

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the continued discussion. Notes:

• Milestones, checks in the boxes: yep. Ideally we deliver the content for this program via an autoresponder that tracks email open and link clicks = you don't open an email / don't click on a very important link = documentation that you didn't follow the requirements of the program 100%. 
    • Post race reg: Brenda, there will be some post race requirements they have to complete before they are eligible for a refund, and I don't think anyone can reasonably expect us to meet them in the post race reg line with cash in hand. 
    • Gaming the system: in our experience, triathletes are pretty honest people. I can't imagine too many people would consciously take advantage of us in the manners described.

Terms and conditions: this discussion now has me thinking about the DNS rate of Ironmans, which is probably about 10-15%, my guess. I wonder what the data is for a first timer starting, then DNF's, then registers for another IM...then DNS for whatever reason: injury, life, etc. That could cost us. 

However, at the end of they day, keeping it simple, relying on people to do the right thing, and representing ourselves as RnP the Guys You're Going to Introduce Your Family To earns a lot of goodwill that nearly aways creates a win for us. 

• Options

@Dave's perception shift:

I'll happily take that first time Ironman athlete and guide them through the very common 3yrs of IM racing. Or that 2nd timer who boogered their first race and is looking to do it better this time, and finish. 

It's far more valuable to us to have people experience EN from the inside, have a great experience, and refer EN to their friends vs steering the boat to ensure that a handful of cool kids on ST like us. We'll continue publish race reports and talk about race results from fast people, folks setting PRs, etc. 

• Options
    I think Dave and I are getting at the same thing with his #4 and my third paragraph.
  • Options

Guarantee: in our experience, when we want people to understand something we need to use terms the understand. So "First Time Finish Guarantee" gives them a good 90% understanding of what we're presenting to them. "Social Contract," etc would be a much more difficult to understand sign on the store window, for example. 

Now, in the agreement we have them sign, etc, we can talk social contract, explain that there's a bit more to it. etc, and of course the way that EN works, via a community, does a good job of this as well.

In a similar manner, this is why I'm now creating a "Triathlon Season RoadMap" for people vs a Season Plan. Please saw "plan," thought "training plan," and expected us to create a fully customized, multi-month training plan for them. Same with "Team Coaching." We done a lot of work to help people quickly understand on the front of their time with EN that we what do is "Team Coaching," and _this_ is how it works. That's because when we use the word "coaching," people instantly attach their definitions and service expectations to the word.