Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Roommates needed ASAP - my crew backed out

I have a fabulous house rented for IMCDA.  My only problem is, everyone I was going to the race with has bowed out. :-(  It has 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and a bunk area.  The Ironman running course is on this street and the practice swim course is really REALLY close. The private outdoor amenities include beach volleyball, basketball, hot tub, beach bar, dock, multiple outdoor verandas and seating, 2 outdoor gas barbeques, 3 outdoor fire pits. 

I have it rented for  June 26th - July 1s.  I can get out of the contract but I have to do so very soon, like this week.  I am in the hole 7000.  If I can find more three renters that would be around $2300 a piece.  I really hate to give up this location.

Send my a private message and we can work out the details.

Here is a link

If the link does work, here is the URL.

http://www.vrbo.com/177651?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_term=20130919&utm_content=propertyid_text_o_loth&utm_campaign=VRBOOwnerInquiry

Sorry if this doesn't belong here

Comments

• Options
    Chris,
    I'd be interested assuming we can get a couple of more people to defray the cost.
  • Options
    excellent.
  • Options

I have a buddy that I race with who is going and has reservations at the host hotel.  I'll check to see if he's interested.  My guess is he won't because he would have to eat the deposit (one night) at the host hotel due to their Draconian reservation policy.  Worth checking though.

I currently have reservations at the new Marriott SpringHill Suites but I can cancel with no problem or cost if I had to.

So it's $7,000 divided by however many people.  If we had four or five I'd probably definitely be in.  At three it's still a little too pricey @ $2300.

I fart a lot but I'm otherwise a good housemate. 

• Options
    Chris,
    I may have three other people. Which would get us to five. One is the friend I spoke with and the other two are friends of his. What's your timeframe looking like in which you need to cancel or not?

I assume at five people we're looking at $1400 each?
  • Options

So here is the breakdown

• The total cost of this property is $9000 with a $1500 security deposit
    • I'd paid $2000 for my share (it was supposed to cover the food as well)
    • My wife and my sister-in-law will be coming with me to the race.  I'm guessing my sister-in-law will stay in the bunk area if you've found 3 other athletes.
    • I did the math wrong in the first post.  I'd based it off of what was still owed.  If we split this 5 ways it will be $1800 + $300 in security deposit

My wife would like to know if there will be other women coming.  Any kids?

I've never done something like this before.  How would we handle payment? PayPal charges 2.9% Other ideas?  I'd have to be able to pay off my buddy before the back out date.  And I have to convince him not to just back out of the contract regardless.

Lots of questions/issues but man that location looks amazing

• Options
    I haven't heard back yet so I think the other three are mulling it over.

When is the back out date deadline?
  • Options
    Chris, the calendar shows the house as still available for those dates. Are you sure your buddy hasn't already cancelled the reservation?
  • Options
    I just sent him a txt to find out when he had to send in the request and he told me he already requested it. :-(.

Oh well. I'm sorry for the trouble. I was pumped about the location.
  • Options
    Yes, but now the house seems to be open for that week. We could reserve it if we got the numbers, right?
  • Options
    That's true. But my wife would still like to know if she and her sister would be the only girls. Also how would we work the payment?
  • Options
    I would be solo, as would my friend. Not sure about the two people he knows.

Payment logistics are always a nightmare. My friend (the one going to CdA) rented a house for IM Tahoe last year and it left a bitter taste in his mouth so he's a little leery of it all. It took two months for all his "housemates" to pay him back plus it took two months for the homeowners to return his deposit so he was out like $5000 for a few months and he wasn't happy.

The problem with having a bunch of people rent a house is 1) Making sure everyone shows up because if they don't it increases the price for everyone and 2) People pay up in a timely fashion. Those are hurdles that would need to be overcome. Not sure I have an answer. I do know I'd rather stay in that house than the Marriott but I don't want to have to worry about what everyone else is doing or not doing when it comes to paying their fair share.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of doing CDA. Any spare bedrooms in the house?
  • Options
    That house didn't work out. I ended up getting one just for my family.