Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Big day tomorrow!

Anyone else a bit nervous about the big training day tomorrow? This will be the longest combined swim/bike/run day I have ever done!

Comments

• Options
    Peter...being nervous is normal, and a good thing.  it means you have a healthy respect for what are about to do.  Just follow the plan, stay in control in each moment, get plenty of H2O and nutrition and you'll be done in no time.  Then you will know are doing that few people ever even think about attempting.  Use this as a learning experience, that's what it is all about.
  • Options
    Can't wait!!! :-)
  • Options
    I totally agree to you Peter!!
    I'm pretty nervous before my Thursday long run and a little less but still nervous before my Saturday long FTP ride.
    Actually I take this as a very good sign because your mind just not has accepted what your body is able to do image
    I can't count how often I looked at the Training-Plan page and thought "How the hell should I EVER be able to to THAT?" but after I got it done the satisfaction is overwhelming image

Now GO OUT and get your satisfaction dose image
  • Options

I'll be honest - I didn't really do the Big Day. Blame it on the marathon I ran on Monday. Two days of walking off the soreness around Boston, then swimming 70 minutes on Thursday. I tried running that afternoon, but still felt some stiffness in my quads, so I only made it down the driveway. I had planned on the Big Day today, but it was so warm and sunny yesterday, that I got on the bike and went for 4 hours. But I still had some fatigue issues - slowing down the last 45 minutes despite adequate fluid and nutrition, so I held off on the run until this morning. Crisp, 45F and sunny, I went 7.1 miles in 1 hour. Call it a Big 48 hours.

Next week, Tues-Fri is promising to be very warm (for us this time of year - 65-75) and sunny, so I expect I;ll be riding  at least 3 of those 4 days. Now that I'm off the marathon hack, I'm going to be doing all the workouts in the plan, which means more frequent running, and swims of 70-75 minutes - I'm liking the "optional" yards the coaches have put in the plans this year. I don't feel bad if I do not fully complete that section, but still feel good if I get half of it done.

• Options
    I had to improvise today. We're out on a family campout & I'm not able to run w/ my calf problems so I opted for a 6 hour bike ride. Hit some new milestones today: (1) longest ride ever by 1.5 hours (2) first century ride & (3) longest distance at 104 miles. I feel like that's an acceptable hack...I think!
  • Options
    Did the big day and it was great E xcept the 40 mph gusts so after almost 2 hours of cursing our great mother nature I based it in the trainer for the duration (boring) then a quick turn around for the run all went well and I thought my nutrition was perfect but started to get a Lil cramping in the quads but nothing alarming just letting me know I was behind on some sodium I think it was rather cool but over all swim bike and run lost over 4 lbs does t his sound right?
  • Options
    Did the big day and it went great! I ended up biking 83 miles in 4.5 hours and hit all 5 25' intervals. I then ran 8 miles and hit the Z2 negative split. Huge confidence builder!
  • Options

Posted By James Barrett on 26 Apr 2014 05:15 PM

Did the big day and it was great E xcept the 40 mph gusts so after almost 2 hours of cursing our great mother nature I based it in the trainer for the duration (boring) then a quick turn around for the run all went well and I thought my nutrition was perfect but started to get a Lil cramping in the quads but nothing alarming just letting me know I was behind on some sodium I think it was rather cool but over all swim bike and run lost over 4 lbs does t his sound right?

Depending on your size and the temp, 4 lbs might be acceptable. But I bet you got behind on your fluids from cycling indoors. Cramps are always a mystery - fluids (too much or too little), deficient calories, excess or deficient salt, overuse (undertrained for what's being asked) are all common reasons to cramp.

• Options

Peter, James and David....Nice work.

Al...good call to let yourself recover from Boston. 

• Options
    I got a shoulder strain last week, so I did a duathlon format: 30 minute run, 4 hr ride and 60 min run. All went well and I was able to negative split my run. Lucky for me, my wife had prepared some recovery activities when I was done - hauling plywood, raking the lawn, chopping wood.... Can any of you explain "recovery" in a meaningful way that my wife will buy into? I don't think its coming from me the right way...
  • Options
    My big day went ok Saturday but I got a late start since I did an organized open water swim to start the morning. The water was perfect for CDA though, roughly 58 degrees at around 9am. I had drive time between the swim and bike which killed an hour so i didn't get on the bike until 11am! Where i ran into a problem was it was mid to high 80's the last 2 hours on the bike....my nutrition plan quickly changed to guzzling all my fluids. This was the first hot day i've encountered this year so the run felt like 90 degrees...mostly did Zone 1 with some zone 2 mixed in but was much slower than i would have liked.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone. Great job on getting your Big Day in. I had a good day Saturday. Did an hour swim with my master group. Biked 4 hours, 75 miles at .82 IF. I invited my new neighbor along who I knew was a cyclist, little did I know he is a professional endurance mountain biker so riding with him was great, probably kept my intensity up more than I would have done solo. So used to biking solo as hard to find folks who go the times I want or ride the same intensity. I think he'll help me get faster on the bike. Had to cut the run short due to son's baseball game but logged 4+ miles at Z2 pace. Mechanics, nutrition and transition all went well. Racing Wildflower on Saturday so that will be another BIG DAY in the lead up to CDA.