Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Kim's First Sprint Triathlon May 4, 2014

San Diego Spring Sprint May 4, 2014

This was my first Sprint Triathlon and my first race ever. I have only been a member of EN for about 1 month. I started looking into the sport of triathlon last October after I joined a Master's program to learn to swim (I couldn't even swim 25 yards). I also started running (I couldn't run longer than a couple of minutes) and I received a bike for Christmas 2013. My husband encouraged me to join EN after he completed his first 70.3 in March using their beginner 70.3 training plan and did very well.   

The race was at South Shores Park, Mission Bay, San Diego. We live about 2 hours from San Diego, so we drove down the day before the race. I was able to pick up my race packet and attended a course talk (very important). We got to our hotel, ate pizza, and I went to bed about 9 PM. I can't say what time I woke up, because I do not think I ever went to sleep. I climbed out of bed at about 4:30 and had everything planned out, so I would not feel any additional stress. I planned to eat about 2 hours before my swim start (7:45), and be in transition to set up by 6:00. I was able to accomplish the eating part, but the drive and parking were a very different story. We were out the door about 5:30. We were about 10 minutes from the park. When we arrived, there were volunteers and police to help with parking, which was located farther away than I thought from the transition area. I started to feel really stressed, but vowed to put every negative thought out of my mind. 30 minutes after our arrival, I was finally parked and unloaded. I headed for the transition area (which closed in 15 minutes) and set up with a few other age groupers in my wave. These ladies made my day! They gave me a lot of encouragement and made me feel comfortable. I even found comfort in hearing from one lady that she was so nervous, she threw up in her own mouth . I think I found my tribe!  

I then went to body marking where there were lots of young people with markers to write my bib number on my arm, my leg and also my age on my calf. I did one last inspection of my transition area and visualized my transitions in my head just like I practiced. And then I had an Oh no  moment!! I forgot my sunglasses in the car! It was dark when we arrived, so I wasn't wearing them. Luckily, I have a man, who is also a triathlete, willing to sprint to the car and make it back to me just before transition closed. I love him  No negative thoughts, no panicking.   

The weather was perfect, not too hot, not too cold. Just perfect for a race!   

My plan for the race was to keep swimming no matter what, turn over on my back if I had to, but keep moving forward. I wanted to finish under 20 minutes. I did not have a solid plan for the bike, since this was my first race, and it was only 10.3 miles. I knew where to keep my pace that would allow my legs to run the 5K afterward. I wanted to run a 12:30 mile or best effort, since I have never done all 3 disciplines back to back, but only 2 bricks during my training. I planned to trust my training and no negative thoughts!  

After the national anthem, the race began in waves. I was in wave number 11 out of 13.  Each group was separated by a few minutes. 

The swim portion was 1/4 mile rectangle starting from a boat ramp on one side and finishing at the same ramp on the opposite side. Before my swim, I was able to warm up in the water on the other side of a boat dock. As I was walking into the water I caught my foot on something sharp, probably a rock. I paid no attention and swam a few laps. I came out of the water just before my wave started and a spectator pointed out that my foot was bleeding. I inspected, but there was so much blood I couldn't see what was wrong. I got back in the water to wash off the blood and inspect my foot. I wasn't able to see anything so terrible, but I did not want to look for too long, because my wave was getting into the water. I  hung in the back as much as possible as we descended down the boat ramp. The horn blew and we were off! I made it around the first buoy then I sited the second approaching quickly. My thoughts were to stop and roll over on my back, but I wanted to keep up with my pack and I saw the next wave of swimmers fast approaching. I turned over and kept going. I made it around the third buoy then the fourth.... I could now see the finish. I got out of the water and made it past the timing mats at 16:30 and headed toward the long run to T1. Ouch my foot! no negative thoughts! 

T1 took way too long 6:15. I found my socks helped with my foot still bleeding. When I finally made it out on the bike course I felt relieved to have the swim over with, but felt confident I did really well. The bike course was almost 11 miles or 2 loops around Fiesta Island mostly flat. On the west side of the island the head winds were very strong and I learned real fast why we ride in the aero position. That really saved me!  My bike was exactly 44:00 minutes.

T2- 4:09 a little better, except I almost ran out without my race bib on. The 5k was mostly a flat route with only a couple small hills. The route was not closed to the public, so my husband was able to run with me   My legs felt really good, but the area of my foot I sliced on the rock was throbbing! No negative thoughts! Throughout the run I was able to maintain a sub 12 min mile. My husband turned on his Strava and it said the run was about 3.3 miles. I finished in 38.53 – a little slower than desired, but still better than I ever thought I could. 

Total time for the event: 1:49:49

This was my first race ever and I trusted my training. I worked on the mental part of this sport and I feel I succeeded. I ate well and I rested 2 days before the race.  Overall this race was a success: I had a good time, I met all my personal goals, and got in my best workout ever. My glutes are a little sore today (2 days after), but I feel my fuel plan coupled with my training got me through my first race and got me hooked.

BTW my foot had one 1/4 inch wide laceration and another 1/2 inch wide laceration that made a flap at an angle on and under my left big toe. It's healing nicely.

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations! Well done. Way to stick it out with the foot problem
  • Options
    What an accomplishment, going from non-swimmer, non-runner, new bike to finishing your first triathlon in less than six months. Sounds like you're already looking forward to more!
  • Options
    I loved this Race Report!!! It so vividly reminded me of every single part and emotion of my first race almost exactly 4 yrs ago to the day (except for the cut foot...). Sounds like you had a great race even with the cut foot. Way to soldier through it and only think positive thoughts throughout the whole day. I was not a "swimmer" growing up, but I was a lifeguard at a local pool so I was at least very comfortable in the water and I totally hyperventilated 2 mins in to the swim of my first tri. So I'm most impressed you were able to stay so calm in the water given that you are a beginner swimmer. People that have never done it don't realize how hard open water swimming is with a group of other crazy people trying to clobber you while you swim without the guidance of clear water or a line at the bottom to follow...

Next up, we need to cut that T1 time in half, then in half again... image
  • Options
    Hi Kim,
    Congratulations! I wish I had known you were there. I did the duathlon (shoulder issue so I decided to skip swimming). I started out in triathlon just like you and admire that you could complete a race so quickly after you started. I heard it was not an easy swim because it was so hard to see. So impressive you swam in salt water with an open wound and followed by bike and run! I've been very slowly working up to longer distances over the past four years and joined en because I signed up for my first full (Imaz) which still seems a little crazy but like you - one step at a time.
    Let me know if you sign up for anymore San Diego races and I'll share any info I have and support you if I'm there. I'm planning to do SDIT which has an internatinal distance and a sprint. Also I always arrive when the parking lot opens and am there when transition opens which was a tip someone gave me when I stared out. At least in San Diego, there is always a long line waiting to get into transition when it opens. For this race, I parked right by transition (arrived at 5). Seems like it should be a lot of time but for me time goes so amazingly fast that I always try to give myself as much time as possible to avoid (additional) stress. Early in also means you don't have to squeeze onto the rack and have time to get the lay of the land.
    Congrats again! -Vicki
  • Options
    Good stuff Kim!! Great race report & great first race!! I hope your foot heals quickly!!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the encouragement. I am looking forward to my next Sprint (it is a little longer than a Sprint) on June 29th. Thank you for reading my first race report. I look forward to communicating with you all in the future.
    Kim