Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Indoor Tri Tips

I realized the shortest race I have only done one race shorter then a HIM in the last three years so...

I decided to try something new this weekend so I'm doing an indoor tri at a local gym.  It's a 10 min swim, 30 min bike, 20 min run.

Any thoughts or tips from those who have done these before?  Any strategy or just crush myself for an hour and see what happens?

Comments

• Options

Depends on the scoring system.  The tris like the one you described usually add up the total amount of distance covered across all 3 disciplines.  If so, the swim ends up meaning very little, so the only strategy I can think of would be to swim at a moderately hard level, but don't drill yourself in the swim, because even if it made a difference of 100 yards across the 10 minutes, that's still less than 0.1 mi.

Oh, and make sure that the treadmill doesn't max out at 10 mph.  If it does, you're going to need to bike harder than you otherwise might.

If you've ever listened to "The Age Grouper" podcast, they do a pretty good recap of an indoor tri, maybe a year or two ago.  Might be helpful to see if there are any tips in there.

Mike

• Options

Just Crush Yourself!!

• Options
    Thanks Guys... i figured it would be pretty straight forward but figured I would ask so I don't look like the stupid noob.

Mike, the treadmill goes to 12mph, so I can't out run it on a 20 minute run :-)
  • Options

What Trent said!

• Options

Matt...   I forgot to tell you... please take it easy on all the newbies.  These are classic races where most are doing there first triathlons ever, so if they see this blurr flying by and going all out at 110% they will follow suit and no doubt blow up and have a bad first triathlon experience.  At least notify them of your intensions.