Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Tim Cronk 2014 IMTX Race Report

Here is a copy of my Race Plan.

http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/15389/Default.aspx

Short Version-  9:55:57 , 3rd in the M50-54AG for KQ slot, 104th OA

Having the benefit of racing IMTX last year my race went pretty much according to plan.  Realizing we were going to have a wetsuit legal race with cooler temps I did revise my time estimates for Heather and will provide them below along with mostly just data and a few comments.  

Swim- Est 1:10 or less wo/wetsuit  , Revised 1:05-07  w/wetsuit ,  Actual 1:01:49.... This was my only PR for the day with previous best wetsuit swim @ IMFL 1:04....  Lined up in front middle and swam hard.  Several times during the swim I was not happy with how I was navigating feeling like I was all over the lake.  Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought the results don't lie.  I used a new Roka Maverick Pro wetsuit which I have had for a month but only swam in 15min the day before at Lake Woodlands.  I liked this suit very much!  Pre-swim nutrition was gel and perform.

T1- Est 3min or less , actual  3:25.... People in Texas don't know how to strip wetsuits.  I had a couple of rather tentative wetsuit strippers.  I yelled at them yank that sucker off , then they got into the spirit , and I said yeah thats how ya do it , Thank You very much.... Had a couple minor issues in T1 ,dropping a shoe , having to turn around go back a few steps to pick it up, then one arm of my Rudy Sunglasses came off, had to pick that up , and snap it back on..... Remainder was uneventful.

Bike- Est 5hr ,  Actual 5:06:56 ,  AP 175 , NP 176 , VI 1.01 , IF .76 , TSS 298 , 5 mile auto lap intervals ranged from NP171-182 ,  w/kg for entire ride 3.24

With more modest temps expected I kinda revised my plan from ride the first half high and second half low to more of a steady ride.  With an 11 watt spread I feel I accomplished this and was probably my best executed IM ride to date also staying aero 99% of the time.  Unfortunately that did not translate into a time savings most likely thanks to the wind components of the day.  I rode 4 watts higher and 5 minutes slower than last year.  Bike nutrition was 4.5 bottles of perform or about 19oz per hr, 1380 cals total (perform, 1 cliff bar, 6 cliff blocks, 1 cliff gel)  for 276cals per hr.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/501458359

T2- Est 3min or less , Actual 3:04.... T2 was smooth and fast!

Run- Est 3:50 or less, Revised 3:45 , Actual 3:40....  After settling in and unpacking my go bag.... I worked on NOT going too fast.... Temps were good, I felt good , and didnt fight it that hard..... Ended up with just very steady pacing with my fastest mile being 8:04 and the slowest mile 8:37...Not my fastest IM run but probably the best executed.  I included the Garmin and Strava files since you can really see the pace graph better on the Strava file.... AVG pace on 1st lap was 8:13, 2nd lap was 8:18 , and by the finish the avg was 8:21.... So it was definitely positive split but it was a negative split via RPE!   Run Nutrition was estimated at 3oz fluid per mile in the form of perform, water, coke for 75oz total or 20 oz per hour , 5 gels total , and 2 saltstick 1 at mile 21 and 1 at mile 23 , 980 cals total or 268 cal per  hr.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/501456309

http://www.strava.com/activities/142380568

Highlights and Stories....

My biggest highlight is seeing my Heather on the course.  I stopped for 4-5 kisses at least.  This was my 9th IM and have been able to stop and kiss Heather on everyone of them (two of them she was competing)..... The other IM I had to sit out with a broken collarbone she raced and yes I was on sherpa duty and we got to kiss.... Below is the Sherpa map for IMTX its a tough job!

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/503345176

On the second loop of the run around mile 12 , a blond in a white BMW M6 convertible , pulls up and yells go go go, and starts to take off, she hits the brakes, gets along side me , and yells , "you are fucking smoking hot", and then she nails it and takes off.... OK it energized me for a mile or so....

Coach P..... Before , during , and after the race.... 4 keys talk , on the course cheering , advice , support , energy , mojo ... after the race at the finishline and for beer and food!  Thanks Coach!

The ENtire EN IMTX racing team....  Virtually training with these awesome people and finally getting to meet them , hang out , race, share stories with.... Priceless.... What a group!!!!

Knowing the remainder of the EN team was watching and supporting us.... Confirming those beliefs by reading all the comments on the boards...

2 Days before raceday I'm standing in line at Starbucks to pay for my 2 coffee's I ordered (wearing my EN jacket).... A guy for 3 people back in line grabs my arm that has my wallet in it and says are you doing the Ironman?  I said yes.  Let me pay for that!  Before I could say anything he handed the cashier his cellphone app and it was done paid for.  I waited for him and talked with him for about 10 min.  He had just completed his first sprint in The Woodlands 2 weeks earlier and was all fired up!  Very cool!

Running down the beginning of the finish chute I just start to turn around to see if there is anybody I need to try and hold off.... Here comes Robin Sarner going by me like I was standing still , leaving no doubt about holding him off,  the bigman can run ,  couldnt be happier for him! Stay out of my AG!

Getting a text from my mentor Al Truscott that says.... Sub 10 , and you're not done yet, I bet...... who am I to doubt Al.... Thanks defintely made me smile!

At the Awards Ceremony/Championship Slot/ Rolldown event... Hearing Mike Reilly call my name and standing up saying NO Thank YOU!  He looked at me in disbelief said are you Tim?  YES... He shakes his head.... What you already KQ'ed?    That was fun!    Also really enjoyed telling the 4th place finisher on the podium I wasnt taking my slot so he should stay!   Very happy guy!

Questions , comments, discussions are always welcomed!

Comments

• Options
    Geez tim. Did you forget the part where your legs felt like cement, you wanted to cry and you promised the 26.2 gods that if they just got you across the finish line that you would never do this again?

Or did that part just not happen to you? image

This kind of success couldnt happen to a nicer, more humble, more helpful guy. Congrats!
  • Options
    @Tim, congrats again on an amazing race. You have it down to a science and nailed it.  So, so impressive.  Thanks also for being so generous with your time, wisdom and encouragement to the entire team, especially the IMTX group.  When my wife told me she thought I would have a breakthrough race at TX, it was sweet. But not much more than sweet. On the other hand, when you told that based on my training you thought I was due for a breakthrough race, I listened. And not in a sweet way.  And sure enough . . . I did.  Thank you for that.  Enjoy Kona. You earned it.  Let's do this again soon.
  • Options
    Tim a huge big congrats to you on a well executed day. Hitting all your expected planned goals by yourself. I wish I could be as disiplined and real as you. Brenda and I were in Lake Placid trg last weekend and we had the race up in the evening. We seen you and Robin bust your ass coming across the finishline. I smiled and laughed with a beer in hand I toasted you two. Great block of trg to get you to the finishline sub ten. Cool to here you put a smile on a competitor's face by saying "no thank you". Will we see you in Quassy! Congrats and awesome report !
  • Options
    Tim what a pleasure it was to meet you and Heather. I can't wait to follow your journey to IMChoo and Kona this year. Hope you don't mind the sweat bee (me) buzzing around from now on. I agree with the team here; your kindness and willingness to help anyone and everyone speaks volumes. Genuine Guy + Bad ass mamma jamma = TimC. Congrats on an amazing day. Hope to train/race with you again soon.
  • Options
    Tim! congrats on an amazing day...excellent performance.
  • Options
    You continue to amaze and impress me. Fabulous job! See you at Quassy!
  • Options
    Great job, you continue to inspire!!! Need to come up with a weekend to visit you guys at the lake this summer!
  • Options
    Great race T: you just keep getting better...
  • Options
    Tim you are so impressive. Another amazing race and better yet, you are so good at sharing your experience to help the rest of us learn. I enjoyed watching you race this weekend as Don & I were monitoring from the computer. We'll see you in Quassy.
    Bridget
  • Options
    I like how you often say "good skill" to people on the board. It reminds me of the saying that "luck" is where hard work meets opportunity. Well....not too many people work their ass off like you do, and I'm super happy that you had yet another good skill/luck day in Texas. I also add my thanks for all you give back to the team.....WTG Tim!!
  • Options

Tim...congratulations again on another textbook, ridiculous fast race.  It was great to meet you in person, after all of the advice, encouragement and tips you've given me the past few months.  Best of "skill" on the rest of your season.  JL

• Options
    Wow another perfectly executed race! I love reading your progression on the boards, your race plan and then tracking you race day. It's unreal how spot on you are with your goals and execution. I wish I had just a bit of your talent but the fact that you share so much great info. with us makes up for it. I bet that 4th place guy was beaming when you told him to hang out image
  • Options
    You seem to be nailing these IM events with regularity now. KQ is now your entitlement. SO...WHAT IS THE NEXT CHALLENGE / GOAL???
  • Options
    Superlative racing execution! To KQ at 2 events within 6 months of each other is simply awe inspiring!!! Congratulations on all of your hard work paying off...it's well deserved!
  • Options

Nothing to see here, folks, move on … just Tim Cronk executing another race perfectly.

And, yes, I do envision a PR for you in Tempe...

• Options
    Consistently amazing! Well done, sir!
  • Options

Nicely done Tim. A very smooth fast race. I love following your races and reading your reports because its like a lesson from a zen master! 

• Options

Nothing much else to say except job well done!!!  ENjoy your success, it is well deserved. 

Agree with you about the Roka Pro Maverick, used it in St. George and loved it. 

• Options
    Congratulations Tim on a great race and meticulous execution. It was a pleasure to meet you and Heather.
  • Options
    @All.... thanks so much for the kind words .... its awesome to be able to train and race as a team and I'm always learning so much from everybody.... glad I can give a little bit back...

@Jimmy.... I guess you didn't see me trying to walk Sat , Sun , Mon ? I can assure you I was quite uncomfortable on the run.

@Danielle...thats 3 KQ's in 12 months but whose counting? Have you ever heard "past performance is no guarantee of future results" or "what have you done for me lately" ?

@Matt Aaronson.... Going forward and Goals? Going into a maintenance mode for most of my summer by capping my longrides 3-3.5hrs and longruns 90min but I am doing a lot of racing OLY and HIM's.... Will build up and RACE IMCHAT hard and then try to survive KONA 13 days later.... But to really answer your question about goals... Really like the IM distance... I suppose I would like to WIN one .... I would also like to race KONA but think the next AG up is my best bet, also giving me a few more years experience.... Lots of ideas like go for a Marathon PR, SOS Survival of the Shawangunks , Triple T , maybe an Ultra or an Ultra-man?
  • Options

Tim,

I learned so much from watching the weeks of training you laid down and from the daily commentary, guidance and sharing/mentoring you offered to the team.  Invaluable.

Thanks for leading from the front the entire cycle!!

I really enjoyed meeting Heather as well and coming to know the secret source of strength behind your performances!

All the best IM!

• Options

Hey Tim,

Congrats on a great race and thanks so much for your leadership, and example, for the IMTX squad!

• Options

WOW 3, I stand corrected…amazing!

• Options
    Tim,,,congrats on another superb race.  The EN team is lucky to have you lead the way in both sportsmanship, teamwork and race performance.  I'm looking forward to meeting and racing with you some day!!
  • Options
    Tim,,,congrats on another superb race.  The EN team is lucky to have you lead the way in both sportsmanship, teamwork and race performance.  I'm looking forward to meeting and racing with you some day!!
  • Options
    Amazing job, I saw you pass by the aid station looking so strong. Congrats
  • Options
    Fantastic Tim. Congratulations on a great race!
  • Options
    Tim - I'm late to the parade but Well Done man, Well Done! You are now in that rare group of repeat KQrs. However, I just want to say that I think I would have gotten more than a mile's worth of adrenaline from the blonde.
  • Options
    Great work. Again.

Thanks for inspiring us all.

Thanks for helping me to towards my potential.