Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Boulder
Options

IM Boulder Cassette Recommendations

Any recommendations from those experienced with this course?

Comments

• Options

I don't have any specific knowledge of the course, but I hear there is at least one legit climb.  For me, that means having a 28-tooth rear cog.  I always have a compact crank on my bike, and generally feel like I always want to have gears that will allow me to spin up a hill, even if I run out at top-speed going back down.

• Options

I don't have any specific knowledge of the course, but I hear there is at least one legit climb.  For me, that means having a 28-tooth rear cog.  I always have a compact crank on my bike, and generally feel like I always want to have gears that will allow me to spin up a hill, even if I run out at top-speed going back down.

• Options

I just noticed this thread.  I have done the 70.3 in boulder a few times, so i have a pretty good feel for the first half of the IM course.  That being said, i'm planning on running an 11-25.  That has served me well on this course in the past and now with the climb to Carter Lake out of the picture i feel like i'll have plenty of gears.  I'm planning on doing my race rehearsal on the course at the end of June so i will circle back with any additional thoughts

• Options
    I picked up a Shimano 105 12/27 last week. Installed it and rode the hills locally this past weekend. Other than it causing torrential rain during our 4-hr ride (I hate it when gearing changes cause that), I'm going to stick with that cassette for IM Boulder.