Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Week 13 (56 days ) that just sent chills down my spine

Well I just got back from Quassy it was a great racing weekend. Racing was a nice release from training. Time to re focus and use all the en mojo to push me to lake placid.

My question to the gang is do you have all those details out of the way so nothing get in your way from an amazing race.
Take full advantage of Coach Patrick and Rich. Make sure you are getting those emails from Brenda. Take full advantage of the information in the forums. Look up the old race reports. Have a great training week.

Comments

• Options
    Post Quassy question for the group that raced:

Are you all using the template in the wiki to get back on track with IMLP training? I'm a bit confused by the timing of the long run on Sunday, etc. any advice from those that've done this before?

Great meeting many of you at Quassy!
  • Options
    Brad, I am following it roughly. Today I am doing a 4000 yard swim, tomorrow I am doing a run/ride however both are easy to get the legs going, Thursday long run at a very easy pace, Friday is up in the air since I have to work and then take the kids to Mexico v Portugal soccer game. Saturday I am back to the normal training plan. 40 minute run and a 270 minute ride.
  • Options
    @ Brad I am choosing to stay with in my plan. I would reach out to the one of the Coaches for clarification. I chose to miss to take out my run for today but will be back in the pool tonight.
  • Options

@ Brad, I asked that exact question in a Micro before the race and here's the answer I got from Coach P:

"The goal of the recovery process is to have you back up to regular Ironman training by that next weekend. You can load the transition plan to end in four weeks and just do the first week changing it on Friday, or you when I can just look at that Ironman plan and dial it back.

The quick summary would be Monday off, Tuesday swim only, Wednesday easy bike, and then we aim for some flavor of the long run on Thursday."

• Options

Crazy busy weekend ended Sunday with my son's final day of Life Guarding class, my nephew's high school graduation and work after that. No way to get even a small workout in. After getting home from work Sunday night just before midnight, I had a short turn around to work yesterday morning. I used the commute to get a half hour ABP ride in. It was not my best performance. Yesterday afternoon, I tried to increase the effort for the ride home. It was a little better, but still nothing great. 1 mile before home, I got a flat. Kicked of the bike shoes and ran the last mile pushing my bike. Strange as it sounds, that was the best part of the day. The run was controlled and focused. I was running barefoot so I really concentrated on how my foot strike was. I finished that mile with a 7:50 pace. I am going to see if I can keep that same focus during this week's long run.

• Options
    I'm hoping I can get back on plan this week - had some outer knee pain after all the hills in St. Pölten and it kept flaring up every time I tried getting on the bike last week. 56 days is not enough! :-)
  • Options
    @Jen, Hope your knee is feeling better soon! I agree with you about the 56 days!

Had a great OWS swim last night. Really happy that the local pond is warm enough to swim comfortably now. (comfortable in wetsuit) We had the largest group from the club I've seen since I joined. About to head out and do today's run now.

• Options
    Nice work at Quassy everybody! Can't wait to see what you all do at Lake Placid!

Way to tough out that ride Edwin!

Feel better Jen! Follow the plan and you'll be ready in 56 days, don't worry too much.

4500 yards in the pool yesterday. was feeling tired so I slept in and swam after work http://connect.garmin.com/activity/512745478 after the swim I felt good and wanted to run but it was a little too late.

Normally I would get up early and do the run before work today but I stayed up too late last night so I ran after work. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/513376605 6.6 miles including 2 miles at TP and 2 miles at MP. Really windy out there today.

was feeling tired so skipped the run.
  • Options
    @Doug do you have a foot pod for your Garmin? You get a lot of funny data on the run there:-)

My knee was a little bit achy on the bike this AM but I managed to hit some paces that I haven't seen in a long time: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/513495862 I forgot to turn off the auto lap so I don't have the full data on my intervals but I ran out of road for the last one as I was already back home. I think every run from now on needs to end with a dip in the harbor bath. We have this outdoor "pool" in the canal down at the end of my road and I jumped in and swam a few laps as a cool down. http://www.dac.dk/Images/img/1920x1...t02JDS.jpg
  • Options

@Brad and those who did Quassy this past weekend. For me as Rod alluded to, a quick turnaround to get back on the saddle to IM trg. I am doing a soft couple of day's Tues- Recovery swim. Wed-Recovery swim/bike. I like to swim alot after a hard race to smooth out my achy joints. Thurs feeling better will do a modified long run. Fri back in the water. By then my body and mind will be up and running to focus on the W/E IM bulk workouts.I try to stay away from hills for the week residual fatigue hamper's my trg. As well peeps next weekend is the LP camp and RR and you want to be fresh for this adventure. If you have alot of "residual fatigue" LP hills will show it.

• Options

Posted By Steve Ross on 04 Jun 2014 09:41 AM

As well peeps next weekend is the LP camp and RR and you want to be fresh for this adventure. If you have alot of "residual fatigue" LP hills will show it.

Don't remind me! I'm racing this weekend in Franconia, NH so I'm hoping to I'll be able to recover quickly for the camp.

• Options

Really looking forward to camp next week!

@Jen, I run with the Garmin 620 which has a special heart rate strap which picks up cadence, ground contact time, and vertical oscillation (how high you bound). I don't really analyze any of that data but it is fun to look at some times

Had a good bike ride today. On the menu 2 X 20! I haven't done a full 20 minute interval since back in March when I was in the January OS. I would say the closest thing was a 20 mile ride I did in the middle of a duathlon back in April which although challenging, I never got my power up to where I wanted it. Today I still didn't feel great but i was able to get my power up there and had 2 really good FTP intervals of 313 and 326. I took a gel in between the intervals and my body never digested it. It was sitting at the top of my stomach during the entire 2nd interval and I threw up a little bit in my mouth at the end! I rode another 15 minutes at a reduced power to try and get ready for the run but my gut was messed up and a Z2/Z3 was definitely not going to solve that problem!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/513995790

• Options
    Today's run workout went really well, did that over lunch and hit the targets. Got the bike done after work & that was a little more difficult. Couldn't quite hit the numbers as well as I would have liked but got all the intervals in. I'll be cutting tomorrow's run short to start a short taper for the White Mtn Tri this Sunday. Planning on doing an OWS swim Friday morning if the weather cooperates.
  • Options

Mixed up the workouts this week. Just did my long ride. It was an out(2:40:16 @ .76 IF) and back(2:46:13 @ .66 IF). I rode to the bike shop in Geneva again. They had my wheel fixed. Stopped and grabbed a quick sandwich then made the return trip. What a crazy weather day. Temp was 61 when I started and there was a 7 mph west wind. The first 30 miles were straight into the wind. Warmed up a little while I was riding. The pace was good and the wind was not that big of an issue. The return trip was completely different. When I started, it was 64 degrees. After that though, the wind picked up and the temp dropped. Instead of the nice 5 to 7 mph west wind, I rode right into a very blustery 15 - 20 mph northwest wind. That wind was tough to ride in and took a lot out of me. As I got closer to Lake Ontario, the wind shifted to mostly north and it kept getting colder. When I arrived home, it was down to 54 degrees. 

• Options
    FYI-Just saw in the "Adirondack Almanack" from June 5 that water temp for Mirror Lake was 66 degrees.
  • Options

I was up in Lake Placid for 4 days and swam in the lake twice. 

The water was wonderful, and no thermal cap needed.

• Options
    @Edwin it was cool during my run this evening, glad I wasn't on the bike!

I was a runner before a triathlete so my favorite workout of the week is usually the long run. I got in 17 miles tonight but it wasn't easy. The legs felt good and I did a 10k warmup loop and had to make a pit stop. Headed back out and upped the pace after a couple miles. Was able to hit MP for 8 miles.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/514605050
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/514605055
  • Options

I can't wait to swim in Mirror Lake. My OWS have been in Lake Ontario and the temp is just getting to 47 degrees. Got my ABP ride in today. I only had 2 hours available, but I did get a quality ride in. I hit .81 IF for the entire ride. I was aiming for 3 X 10 miles above .80 and the last 10 miles at IM pace. I wasn't sure how my legs would respond after 108 miles yesterday. It was very windy here again. It seems like the wind is always blowing here. Today it was a steady north wind at 7 mph. The course I rode was an out and back and mostly north south. For the 3 ten mile intervals I was able to hit .83, .82 & .81 IF. I finished with .75 for the last 10 miles. It was a great ride. Tomorrow is a sprint Tri at Green Lake near Syracuse. My brother and a few friends are racing with me. It should be a lot of fun.

• Options
    @Edwin, great ride! Good luck tomorrow!

I'm looking forward to an OWS in Mirror Lake next week as well. Hopefully my wetsuit fits. I haven't used it in 2 years and I'm about 10 lbs heavier!

5000 yards in the pool this morning. Nothing special about it. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/515163855

Did a trail run after work. The legs didn't have a lot of pop after last night's long run but after about 30 minutes they definitely loosened up. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/515142585
  • Options
    I'm already at the point where I just can't enough to eat!!!....imagine this will get worse - anyone else feelin this?
  • Options
    Was having an awesome ride today was average just over 19 miles hour. Just past the 4 hour mark, we have had some rain so lots of sand on the road. Hit this sand on the middle of the road. Front wheel slipped next moment I hit the ground. Left hand side of the body all grazed with knee and elbow taking the brunt of the impact. Bailed on the run as you can imagine.
  • Options

I did the Green Lakes sprint Tri yesterday on some pretty tired legs. I finished 45th overall and 8th in my AG. However, The time was a PR at this event by over 2 & 1/2 minutes. I was surprised by every leg. I swam well. It was not my fastest, but it was still fast for me. I rode a lot stronger than I thought I would. I had ridden just under 170 miles in the two days before the race and still had good speed. I was over .80 IF, but that was all I could do. No FTP like ride there. My run was right on par with my previous times.The run course is a trail around the lake. After one mile, the trail changes from cinders to wood mulch. Wow, that was like running in mud. Overall I was very encouraged by the race and look forward yo the Camp.

• Options
    @ Simon. ...hope you're doing ok.
    Well.....I owe the forum pretty much all my WKOS for this week. I'll post....I promise LOL.

Suffice it to say. ....I'm really enjoying riding outside. Still trying to get my RPE/hr/PWR translation down. Turned last week's z4 Sun WKO into finishing up with a 25 min TT. Rode yesterday's 4.5 hr with these new FTP numbers but screwed up what the WKO was supposed to be. Did 25-30 min sets of Z3......we'll what I thought was Z3 pwr ....When I looked at the post ride numbers I cut out a 1 hr SS section w/o lights etc and I averaged 236w! @21.5mph Ummmm that's the "NEW" low z4. Just bellow the change in respiration. Sigh....I was pretty much cooked after over doing last weekend. ...not sure I've even recovered yet. My need to dial back today to a GRP for time.
  • Options
    @Simon, hope you're alright.

@Edwin, great results right after a heavy training load!
  • Options

Post Quassy long Sat ride ended up being a 62 mile ABP ride vs the 5 hrs, but I just couldn't find 5 hrs yesterday.  Gorgeous day out today with lots to do.  Going to try to squeeze in today's 2.5 hr ride later.

• Options
    Started the weekend off with a good run yesterday. I wasn’t fully recovered from the Thursday long run but I didn’t feel bad once I got going. 6 miles in all including a short warmup, 1 mile at Z4 and the remainder at MP. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/515381149

After some breakfast I attempted the long bike. It was listed as 5 hours on the plan but I only rode for 3. Just shy of 3 hours I came in to refill my water bottles. I headed back out for the next 2 hours but I just could not get things going. I couldn’t even hold .65 IF so I bagged it after about 20 minutes. A major let down but I was pushing too hard at the beginning and I had a lot of fatigue in my legs. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/516716681

Went out for the ride today with my only intention being to get a good 3 hours in. I didn’t want to blow up again and I didn’t want to impact the 2 big rides coming up at camp. Actually felt really good the entire ride holding a .75 IF for the 3 hours. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/516716622
  • Options

I finished the weekend off with the long run. I did it as a point to point run. My nephew's H.S. Graduation party was yesterday so I ran there after work. It was a total of 13.5 miles. By the time I started in the afternoon, it was good and warm. I tried to execute the run by the workout protocol. I ran the 1st hour at my long easy pace. The next 30 minutes were supposed to be 1 minute per mile faster. That was not happening. I was able to negative split that interval by 13 seconds per mile. The 3rd interval was supposed to be faster. I was able to speed up another 9 seconds per mile. That was it. I finished with 1 final mile at a faster than race pace effort. Total run time was 1:53:42. My brother has a pool and it was nice and cool. I was very thankful for that. 15 minutes in the pool really helped the recovery. Thnat run capped of a 13.25 hour training week. I am taking a recovery day today and plan on some light biking and swimming before the IMLP Camp.

• Options
    @Simon how is the recovery going?

My rides this weekend were just awful. I managed 75 miles Saturday (+5,000 climbing) and 52 Sunday however the power was just not there. I think it is the pollen that is messing with me. I got off the bike covered in yellow both days with a sore throat and stuffed nose. Hopefully some Claritin will do the trick. What a mess I have to clean as well.
  • Options
    Larry recovery is going well. Left side of my body is quite sore. Neosporin is my best friend at the moment. Got in a 9 mile run yesterday in the heat of the day. Will get back in the pool tomorrow.
  • Options

@Simon, glad to hear you're recovering well.  That's terrible but great for you getting right back out there so quickly!